Utah Guns Forum banner

Open Carry Sightings

163K views 525 replies 179 participants last post by  Wrangler_dave9 
#1 ·
After concealed carrying for almost a year, I finally saw someone open carrying. :thumbsup: I thought it might be fun to see how often open carriers are actually spotted (at least by this group). Then, if the oc'er frequents this forum, they can speak up and let us know it was them. Could be a good way to put names to faces. If you guys have other ideas that could make this work better, speak up! :dunno: Also, if this has been done already (searched, couldn't find), the mod can just delete this post, no offense. 8)

I'll start first. I saw someone at the Smiths in Provo last night. They were carrying what appeared to be a Glock and an extra mag on their left leg. It was a thigh holster. Cool rig! :gun6: He was also wearing an AC/DC shirt. Was it one of you guys?

#504 ·
2 sittings today- guy in Denny's in Lehi around noon in a red shirt carrying what looked like a silver-slide xdm in something like a serpa. Second one was at 2-ish at tibble fork res going on a hike with friends and dog in tow. Likely black glock model on right hip.

Thumbs up !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#507 ·
Spotted a gentleman in the North Ogden Smith's today carrying what appeared to be a 1911 on his right-hand side. Did not get a chance to say hello, but I elbowed my wife to show her. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "So what? He's not harming anyone".

Looks like I've got her trained right. :)

#508 ·
My wife and I open carried while doing some shopping the other night. :mrgreen: Quick trip to Walmart for some light bulbs and Home Depot to make a return. I carried my Glock 22 in a Safariland ALS. My wife carried her new Ruger LC9s in a basic nylon Blackhawk holster until we can get something a little more permanent.

#512 ·
Spotted someone open carrying at Walmart today in Hurricane. I didn't want to see me staring at it so I didn't get too good of a look. The holster was interesting. It was black and very slim fitting to the handgun and the holster wasn't really protruding very much from his side. At a glance I thought it was a leatherman carrying or a cell phone carrier but saw it was a gun holster lol first time I've ever seen someone OC there, or in this region tbh.

#513 ·
ericcris10sen said:
Spotted someone open carrying at Walmart today in Hurricane. I didn't want to see me staring at it so I didn't get too good of a look. The holster was interesting. It was black and very slim fitting to the handgun and the holster wasn't really protruding very much from his side. At a glance I thought it was a leatherman carrying or a cell phone carrier but saw it was a gun holster lol first time I've ever seen someone OC there, or in this region tbh.
Was not me...But I will try to get out more :thumbup:

#514 ·
My neighbor is selling a car, and last night two gentlemen came to see it. One was OCing a Glock with a stainless slide. The other was concealing.

I had just gone over to chat with the neighbor, who is also a concealed carrier, and I was open carrying. So it was a pretty safe spot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#515 ·
Perhaps this may be the correct place to post the following; Tonight I took my wife to dinner at Zupas in Jordan Landing. I had been carrying open today as the shirt I was wearing had been tucked in and I always carry outside the waistband regardless if open or concealing, and I have need of carrying where I work so I had just kept my nine on as we went out. Long and short of things, as we were leaving we heard someone behind us say, "Thanks for carrying." We thought it was a young man who was working at Zupas who we had jut passed on our way out rather, it was a stranger who was also leaving as we were. We had a polite conversation where I learned he and his wife just completed their concealed carry class and were awaiting their permits. I pointed them to this site and hopefully they will drop by and continue their education and involve themselves here.
I just wanted to express how impressed I was that this couple went out of their way to thank me for exercising my God given rights. I feel it validated mine and my wife's thoughts and concerns about carrying and made me feel even better about exercising my rights. My wife was impressed too. I feel it important to always exercise your rights and it is always nice when the public notices and is appreciative of our doing so. :thumbup:

#516 ·
My son and I went to the Harbor Freight in Orem this morning there was a young mom there (blonde, green t-shirt, jeans), carrying a smallish pistol in a leather holster with a top break. She appeared to be with a husband and young son, but I never swapped howdies with her.

I was open carrying as well, but I see that all time.

#518 ·
Snurd said:
I walked into our bedroom this morning and saw a first time OCer. Griffin really likes his Baby Sig 1911 in the Bladetech OWB holster. He's waiting for his ULDCFP (Utah Little Dude Concealed Firearm Permit).
Sent from iSnurd
I'd imagine "Utah loaded" takes on a whole new connotation what with diaper duty. :ROFL:

#519 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Snurd said:
I walked into our bedroom this morning and saw a first time OCer. Griffin really likes his Baby Sig 1911 in the Bladetech OWB holster. He's waiting for his ULDCFP (Utah Little Dude Concealed Firearm Permit).
Sent from iSnurd
I'd imagine "Utah loaded" takes on a whole new connotation what with diaper duty. :ROFL:
Had some of those today. :(

Sent from iSnurd

#523 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Snurd said:
Sent from iSnurd
Cute baby !!

If he is anything like me then he will want cap guns first, before he graduates to the real McCoy.

#524 ·
I have not seen anyone O/C in Utah yet.

I have spotted several mouse guns in the Mexican carry position (small of the back) concealed.

Whenever I go to a restaurant or bar I watch the other patrons to see if I can spot the imprinting of their C/C handgun (handgun = pistols + revolvers or as R.Lee Ermey says "... a gun that you can shoot with one hand").

The advantage of O/C is that you can draw and shoot about 1/4 second faster than from C/C.

The disadvantage is that it is easier for someone else to go for your gun (gun = Old Norse "Gunilda" meaning "fire and destruction" -- also a girl's name).

I prefer C/C with my shoulder holster. Nobody can grab it from me there, under my shirt and jacket both, and I can still draw and shoot it in 1 1/2 seconds.

#526 ·
Maverik here in St. George on 1000 E St George Blvd on Wednesday at about 1530 hrs. Noticed a male, approx mid 30's, probably 5'09, medium build, red/brown hair with a ball cap, beard, carrying some kind of polymer pistol in nylon style belt holster at 3 O'clock. He was leaving the store and I was running a little late otherwise I would have approached and thanked him for carrying.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.