Utah Guns Forum banner

Open Carry Sightings

163K views 525 replies 179 participants last post by  Wrangler_dave9 
#1 ·
After concealed carrying for almost a year, I finally saw someone open carrying. :thumbsup: I thought it might be fun to see how often open carriers are actually spotted (at least by this group). Then, if the oc'er frequents this forum, they can speak up and let us know it was them. Could be a good way to put names to faces. If you guys have other ideas that could make this work better, speak up! :dunno: Also, if this has been done already (searched, couldn't find), the mod can just delete this post, no offense. 8)

I'll start first. I saw someone at the Smiths in Provo last night. They were carrying what appeared to be a Glock and an extra mag on their left leg. It was a thigh holster. Cool rig! :gun6: He was also wearing an AC/DC shirt. Was it one of you guys?

#2 ·
Funny for me, in Syracuse, the door greeters at Wal-Mart have gotten used to me OCing in the store. Although I L-O-V-E my HBE IWB holster, I make it a point to OC around Syracuse. It's my personal mission to make it "common" to see law abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered firearm. I still try my darndest to spot OC and CC folks. :D

#3 ·
I got into a longish conversation with some shoppers at Discount Guns and Ammo in Provo yesterday. First time I had been to the store.
Spoke at length with 3 others about my understanding of Utah Concealed carry Law, Utah Car carry, interactions with police when they "ask" for ID while one is NOT DRIVING vs a "DEMAND" for ID, and the Utah GFSZ law. I suggested the get Mitch Vilos's book (salemans said--- "I've got them right over here.") and mentioned both this forum and OCDO.
At the end since I didn't buy anything I apologized to the salesman for getting on my "soap box" in his store. He replied that he liked hearing the discussion....

What started the conversation if I remember right was being asked by one how long I've OC'd and if I'd had any issues with it.
I was carrying my Kimber 1911 Compact Stainless in a Blackhawk Serpa Retention holster strongside and 2 spare mags weakside.

I think I've found a new favorite "toy" store!

#4 ·
JoeSparky said:
I got into a longish conversation with some shoppers at Discount Guns and Ammo regarding interactions with police when they "ask" for ID while one is NOT DRIVING vs a "DEMAND" for ID

Utah Law:

77-7-15. Authority of peace officer to stop and question suspect -- Grounds.
A peace officer may stop any person in a public place when he has a reasonable suspicion to believe he has committed or is in the act of committing or is attempting to commit a public offense and may demand his name, address and an explanation of his actions.

If the LEO can't specifically and with reasonable suspicion name a public offense you have committed tell them bubye. And even if they can name a public offense, you can always say, I'd like to talk to my attorney first (in other words, I'm not telling you anything). I have a lawyer friend, who's number I carry with me everywhere. I've said, when I call tell me to SAY NOTHING. :bat:

#5 ·
Saw myself in a store mirror yesterday :p. I did see a guy with a Glock in a thigh holster at The Pie in SLC about a week or so ago

#6 ·
Besides yourselves :wink: and those you're close to, how often do you guys spot someone oc'ing? A year seams a long time, but maybe I'm just not paying as close attention as I could. (My wife actually spotted the guy yesterday, I probably would have completely missed him :D).

I asked my wife after she saw him that if she was a criminal and walked in and saw him like that what she would do. She immediately said she'd turn right around and walk out. Just thought it interesting coming from someone who doesn't really talk about it all the time to people. (like on this forum)

#8 ·
I saw guy yesterday just off of 400 S.. button up stiped shirt, dress pants.. Looked like a Glock on his belt.. At the same time I saw blonde haired woman, blue jacket, tan pants, Glock on her hip.. She was standing with a guy in a blue shirt, blue pants, a Glock and other things on his belt...

They were all Cops.. The blonde lady I see on the news all the time.

#10 ·
wicked_chicken said:
I wish more people in Logan OC'd.
Logan is way too hippy to have many OC'ers. ;) I know, I lived there!

More to the point, I think there may still be the stigma that it's illegal. I know it's not, you know it's not, but I can't speak for the rest of the people in Logan.

#11 ·
UtahJarhead said:
wicked_chicken said:

More to the point, I think there may still be the stigma that it's illegal. I know it's not, you know it's not, but I can't speak for the rest of the people in Logan.
Logan? Hippy?

Nah!

I'll start OCing once I get a good holster. Maybe I can do that tomorrow...

#14 ·
That would have been me, i have to get my nightly Vault fix :nilly:. would this be the rig you saw, its my baby and i will be adding a Laser/Light combo that will also be mounted on the leg reg. it has 2 spots for mounting one is being used for a mag and the other will for the laser/light. :)

#16 ·
GreenStreet said:
JoeSparky said:
I got into a longish conversation with some shoppers at Discount Guns and Ammo regarding interactions with police when they "ask" for ID while one is NOT DRIVING vs a "DEMAND" for ID

Utah Law:

77-7-15. Authority of peace officer to stop and question suspect -- Grounds.
A peace officer may stop any person in a public place when he has a reasonable suspicion to believe he has committed or is in the act of committing or is attempting to commit a public offense and may demand his name, address and an explanation of his actions.

If the LEO can't specifically and with reasonable suspicion name a public offense you have committed tell them bubye. And even if they can name a public offense, you can always say, I'd like to talk to my attorney first (in other words, I'm not telling you anything). I have a lawyer friend, who's number I carry with me everywhere. I've said, when I call tell me to SAY NOTHING. :bat:
Yep, So I am guess that you were not present for my conversation! :crown:

#17 ·
UtahJarhead said:
wicked_chicken said:

I OC a fair amount in Logan during the warm months (but not at work).
I saw someone OC at Frederico's Pizza last week. I don't know if he was a cop or not.

#19 ·
Jeff Johnson said:
UtahJarhead said:
wicked_chicken said:

I OC a fair amount in Logan during the warm months (but not at work).
I saw someone OC at Frederico's Pizza last week. I don't know if he was a cop or not.
I miss Frederico's.... :(

</hijack>

#20 ·
JTknives said:
That would have been me, i have to get my nightly Vault fix :nilly:. would this be the rig you saw, its my baby and i will be adding a Laser/Light combo that will also be mounted on the leg reg. it has 2 spots for mounting one is being used for a mag and the other will for the laser/light. :)
That would be the one! Like I said before, NICE! :thumbup: I was gonna come up and say hey, but I was too busy trying to check out and help out with our kid. I was trying to watch other people to see if they said/did anything about it. Didn't really see anyone paying much attention. It's funny. Back before I got into CC I'm sure that I've seen a few people OC'ing. I always just assumed that they were cops or something. I wish I had been educated better about things like this in school... Anyway. It's cool you are on this forum. Keep up the good work!

#21 ·
Daeyel said:
bikerdan said:
Daeyel said:
Are you a member of the ISAFC?
I'm not sure what you mean.
ISAFC - I Swallowed A Fly Club
I have swallowed a fly before... just not while riding my motorcycle. When I was a kid, I was eating my soup with a straw. There was a pesky fly that just wouldn't leave me alone... Just kidding around, I acted like I was gonna suck it up with my straw. IT WORKED! Right down my throat. :shock: :shock: :shock: I must be part ninja...

#23 ·
That is an interesting device. My first thought was a muzzle break. How much does it make a difference? What about night time, does it throw more light in your direction?

#24 ·
smurf351 said:
bikerdan said:
....I acted like I was gonna suck it up with my straw. IT WORKED! Right down my throat. :shock: :shock: :shock: I must be part ninja...
(in a perfect Mr. Miyagi impression)

"Beginners luck"

:ROFL:
Funny thing is my first name is Daniel... and I've painted a house AND waxed a car!!! What are the odds?!?! :wink: :grinningjester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.