Utah Guns Forum banner

OC @ Living Planet Aquarium

5K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  quychang 
#1 ·
Well, last week was Spring Break for Nebo school district and it was Friday, last day off for my 11 yr old son. So, I took him and his best friend up the the LPQ for a few hours. Had my wife, who was at dialysis, been up to it, she would have gone too and I would have CC'd. She does not like me OCing. But neither of the boys could give a wit about my OCing. Of course their were tons of kids and even a line of kids off a bus. Made it throught the line and bought our tickets (watching all the time for "no gun" signs) at my discount of $1 off due to being retired Army :dancing: The boys tickets were even cheaper :dancing:

The boys wanted to head straight back to the Utah Exhibit, so off we went. I decided I was going to take my time and really "read" all I could since that's always been difficult with younger kids. I have to say it was very interesting to learn about Utah's water and acquatic life. I did not notice any frightened stares or looks of, well, anything. About 1/2 way through the Utah exhibit I noticed an attracitive woman in LPQ uniform approach me with a young man, also in LPA dress. She introduced her self as the Director of Operations, Tanna, I believe. She asked if I had a CCW permit. Before answering, I looked them both over to insure myself I wasn't dealing with LEO's or private security; armed or otherwise. "Of course I do", I said. She asked if she could see it. I pulled it out and handed it too her. Understand, she was extremly polite through our entire encounter. She said the reason is approached me was that their are numerous children about, along with their mothers, and that my pistol, in plain sight, was scaring many. She asked why my pistol was not concealed. I took a moment to educate her that Utah is one of about 37 states that does not have laws disallowing OC. That a CCW allows it to be Concealed. Again, she was polite, didn't argue any points with me, she just asked if I would please conceal it for the kids. I took a moment to consider my response, finally saying, I would "for the kids". I told her I needed to go out to my car to retrieve my vest. She said she would accompany me to insure I would be able to re-enter. I took the opportunity to contiue to educate her about Utah guns laws, explaining things like "two actions to load", OCing w/o a permit and that the only reason I was covering was for the kids. If was the adults only, I would not conceal. I thanked her for her kindness and professionalism and we parted ways in the gift store area. Later, I realized I did not know if the LPA was a private or govt owned entity. I asked an employee who looked like they might know such things and was informed the LPA does is not privately owned but controled by a board of goverenors and that the President of the board is the one who started it all. Really didn't answer my question.

That my report and I'm stickin to it! :type:

Oh yeah, I never did get a chance to realy "read" all the stuff as the boys flew through in less than two hours. At least they were willing to hang out in Cabelas for awhile, where they are OC friendly. :lol2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know how this plays out with regard to them restricting OC (or CC for that matter) but this is how they describe themselves: :dunno:

The Living Planet Aquarium is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, dedicated to cultivating public interest in the environment, conservation, and the enhancement of our planet and its creatures through adoption, education, research and recreation.

#5 ·
I've OC'd at Living Planet Aquarium on numerous occasions. Never been asked to "cover up" or even quizzed for my CFP. Not sure why you were hassled that day. On at least 2 occasions I've been there where there were at least 2 bus loads of school children. I did notice a couple of employees checking me out on one occasion (suspicious looks, following me around, etc.), but never approached by any of the employees.

I'll send them an email to get their "official position" on OC.

gf

#6 ·
xRapidDavex said:
Aren't kids more curious about guns than scared? I don't buy it. Parents telling their kids they should be scared sounds more likely to me.
I'm sure it was the parents too, not only scared at the very sight of a gun but scared to own up to the fact that they are scared of a gun - so they blame it on their children. :disgusted:

#9 ·
ObiRich said:
radiotom said:
No guns/knives sign at the aquarium today. We walked right out. No money from me. The sign was very obvious.
Concealed is concealed :wink:
ObiRich, while I tend in general to agree with you, I will also choose not to spend my money in support of an organization that doesn't support my second amendment rights. I admit if I had a real need to go there, I probably would, but honestly, it's entertainment dollars and purely discretionary. I'll choose to vote with my wallet.

That said, I do occasionally conceal at Costco. Honestly, not often, the wife usually goes there without me, but it does happen. As for restaurants like Buffalo Wildwings, or others who clearly do not want me there, why would I give them my money when there are so many other choices?

Mel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.