Utah Guns Forum banner

Taurus PT-92 trigger job

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MarshallDodge 
#1 ·
Fist of all, I am not a gunsmith. I would like to learn some of the skills as a hobby, but I currently have never taken a gun past field-strip.

I am considering doing a little trigger work on my Taurus PT-92, partly because the double action pull is junk, and partly because I want to start learning some of those skills.

Primarily I would just like to replace two of the springs. I would like to replace the mainspring with the Beretta "D" spring which I have read good things about for improving the trigger pull on the Taurus, and I am also intrigued by the Wolff trigger conversion for lightening the trigger return spring.

I have found videos detailing the installation process of both of these and I am fairly confident that I can manage to get them installed and do the safety and function checks and not screw up my gun.

However, one of the videos also suggests taking some sandpaper and polishing the hammer and sear engagement surfaces, as well as other contact surfaces like where the hammer strut contacts the hammer.

I realize that touching the sear engagement surfaces is some serious stuff, and I'm hesitant to try it. Browsing other forums I have seen suggestions that stones or crocus cloth would be better than sandpaper, along with lots of admonitions to not try it at all.

I certainly don't want to make my gun unsafe, but I can't exactly learn anything by never trying it. Short of some hands on learning with an expert, are there any resources that I could make use of to prep me for being able to do a little polishing without setting myself up for catastrophe?

See less See more
#2 ·
My first gun was a Taurus 92 and I had a trigger job done on it. What a waste of $75.

If the DA pull is gritty then I wouldn't go any further than ultra fine grit sandpaper to polish things up. The gunsmith who worked on mine took off some material which made the SA trigger only about a pound lighter but the takeup and reset was longer which drove me nuts.

The hammer spring may be an improvement but I like a heavy return spring on the trigger. It helps the trigger to keep up with my finger when shooting fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.