Utah Guns Forum banner

Traditions Buck Hunter

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Ruminus 
#1 ·
Hello all;

So, on a whim (and the fact the pawn shop wanted minimal moola after I removed a bullet that was still in it :shock: (yes, it was sold to them that way, no powder)), I picked up a Traditions .54 Buck Hunter. I've put 3 rounds through it and it fires fine. But now that cleaning time is here, the breech plug is in there snug and I have not a clue.
All the breech plug wrenches I've come across don't fit (it's a plug that resembles a #11 nipple, but the crossbar is ~1/2" thick and everything I've found is too thin). I'm thinking I'm going to have to make something custom, but before I ruin a perfectly good socket to make a spanner wrench, does anyone have any ideas? Even the wrenches Traditions is selling don't look like they'll fit, as their largest slot is in the 3/8" neighborhood.

Thank you in advance for any input.

#2 ·
So, I ended up ordering a Universal Breech Plug wrench from Traditions in the hopes I would get lucky. I did! It worked as what I thought was 1/2" was actually 3/8", just as an update in case anyone else runs into such a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.