Kel Tec P11

This is the place to ask questions of the gunsmiths on our forum.

Kel Tec P11

Postby dhofstet » Mon 02 Mar 2009 11:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun, and if it is just me, but is the Slide Stop really hard to push down for you? For some reason i cannot for the life of me push it down with one finger and let the slide forward..
"Mind over matter is power over fist." H.H.
dhofstet
Marksman

Re: Kel Tec P11

Postby bane » Tue 03 Mar 2009 8:02 am

dhofstet wrote:I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun, and if it is just me, but is the Slide Stop really hard to push down for you? For some reason i cannot for the life of me push it down with one finger and let the slide forward..

I have never shot the P11... but the first handgun I ever shot was the Barretta and I also found activating the slide stop next to impossible. After handling it once/twice a week for a long time I eventually built up my dexterity and was able to do it.

My first personal handgun was the XD... and again, at first, I found it difficult (not nearly so much though) to push the slide stop. Now I can do it in my sleep.

Unless you've been practicing with it DAILY for a few weeks, I would say start doing so; I bet you'll find in a few weeks you'll have it down. Also, are you referring to a brand-new gun... is it possible that part of the problem you are experiencing is just related to the newness-factor and just needs time to be 'broken in'???
"Men cannot be enslaved politically until they have been disarmed ideologically. When they are so disarmed, it is the victims who take the lead in the process of their own destruction." -- Ayn Rand, Russian-American Philosopher (1905-1982).
bane
Sniper

Postby ProvoGunsmithBrandon » Tue 03 Mar 2009 8:04 am

Is that with an empty magazine in it, no magazine, or a full magazine?
Brandon Cowden
Journeyman Gunsmith
Owner of Smith Services LLC located in Provo, UT
http://www.smithservicesguns.com
smith.services.llc@gmail.com
(801) 376-3646
ProvoGunsmithBrandon
Novice

Postby dhofstet » Tue 03 Mar 2009 5:25 pm

It is hard to operate with a full mag, empty mag, and no mag.. It is just insanely hard.. I will continue to practice with it, but i thought maybe it was because the way the slide stop "notch" is cut. It is almost like the "notch" is cut in the sense that it digs into the slide stop button and almost makes it impossible to operate. Thanks for the input guys.
"Mind over matter is power over fist." H.H.
dhofstet
Marksman

Postby MarshallDodge » Tue 03 Mar 2009 7:04 pm

Does Keltec have anything against racking the slide?

Mrs. Dodge has a tough time with her slide release (Springfield EMP) so she has gotten into the habit of pulling the slide back and releasing it, also known as the slingshot method.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby ProvoGunsmithBrandon » Tue 03 Mar 2009 7:22 pm

It can be adjusted. It should never really be "easy" but it need not be a bear either. I would be happy to adjust it for you and should not cost you more than $15-$20 while you wait if you wanted to stop by my shop in Provo. I can't speak for the other gunsmiths that are closer to Layton, but they should be able to help you out as well. If you want to take some close-ups of the slide and slide-stop and post them, I can tell you better how much adjustment would help.
Brandon Cowden
Journeyman Gunsmith
Owner of Smith Services LLC located in Provo, UT
http://www.smithservicesguns.com
smith.services.llc@gmail.com
(801) 376-3646
ProvoGunsmithBrandon
Novice

Return to Ask the Gunsmiths