Recommended self-defense loads for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Re: Recommended self-defense loads for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45

Postby UtahCFP » Wed 08 Mar 2017 11:07 am

James wrote:If you are asking me if I can shoot............ the answer is [auto-filtered] yes. Furthermore I don't need sights to hit anything as large as a man within 25 feet. Just point and shoot.

As long as you and the thing as large as a man are relatively stationary, I'm guessing. Sights don't help here anyway, so don't get me wrong; but from what little simunition-ish exercises I've had the fun to be part of, two guy who are both ACTIVELY maneuvering at 25 feet don't hit much. It sure changes your view of the world when the other guy is shooting back as well. ;)

I remember Larry Correia (yes, THAT Larry Correia of MHI fame) in a CFP class he was teaching -- talking about how everybody imagines what "their gun fight" will be like. We buy equipment like holsters and such for "our gun fight", we practice shooting with "our gun fight" in mind, and so on. It's kind of like imagining what a car accident will be like -- then finding out that actually being in a car accident is something else entirely.
Dr. Dave (UtahCFP@gmail.com)
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Re: Recommended self-defense loads for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 08 Mar 2017 6:07 pm

UtahCFP wrote:... We buy equipment like holsters and such for "our gun fight", we practice shooting with "our gun fight" in mind, and so on. It's kind of like imagining what a car accident will be like -- then finding out that actually being in a car accident is something else entirely.

A good analogy. That's why taking dynamic, situational training such as force-on-force is so important. While it may not be the equivalent of being in a "car accident", it probably equates to driving in a demolition derby.

In force-on-force using airsoft pistols you get the adrenalin-pumping scenarios and experience that comes as close as you can get to a gunfight without actually being in one. That'll help build muscle memory and an awareness of things to do, or not do, if you ever get into a bad situation.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Previous

Return to The Ammo Bench