Stainless Steel Media (STM) works great!

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Stainless Steel Media (STM) works great!

Postby D-FIN » Sun 29 Dec 2013 1:33 am

Got me a Harbor Freight double barreled rock tumbler for Christmas and my STM package just came yesterday. Cleaned about 600 rounds of 9mm.

I'm pretty happy with the results
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Re: Stainless Steel Media (STM) works great!

Postby Tenuki » Mon 30 Dec 2013 10:52 am

How long does it take to get them clean like that? Are there any suggestions to clean the media from time to time?
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Mon 30 Dec 2013 11:43 am

I ran them about 4 hours with one drop of dish soap and a pinch of lemi-shine. My first batch I used to much lemi-shine and they were clean but kind of dull (not shiney). The media doesn't really hold much dirt it kind of cleans itself. i think I read maybe every 10 to 15 batches you could run the media by itself to clean it.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Tenuki » Mon 30 Dec 2013 11:52 am

Ahhh, after a little reading I see that this is a wet process rather than a dry, so the dirt and such is washed away each time. I'll be interested to see how your tumbler holds up. I've had mixed results with harbor freight products. Some work great and others burn up after only a couple of hours of use!
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Mon 30 Dec 2013 1:50 pm

they are pretty good about replacing thing the burn up quick though.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Rhino » Fri 07 Feb 2014 4:03 pm

I started Stainless Steel tumbling last year. I use a Thumler's Tumbler and have been very happy with my results. In fact my two dry media tumblers have been collecting dust ever since. I run a batch for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and get excellent results!
http://rifleandhandgun.com/
"For Firearms Enthusiasts, By Firearms Enthusiasts"
Rhino
Novice

Postby XSlevinn » Sat 08 Feb 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if the harbor freight rock tumblers would work for wet tumbling with SSM. I think I'll be picking up one of those tumblers soon. Any tips or info you might provide for someone looking to do this?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Sun 09 Feb 2014 12:32 am

It's pretty simple ther is even a youtube vid using the same setup I'm using. I had to replace the belt on my tumbler and that was a pain but works great again now. Also best to oil it good right out of the box. I just used a little CLP. You can buy a STM refill kit with 2lbs of media . Divide it in half and put have in each drum(if you get the dual drun unit). One drop of dawn and a pinch of lemishine. Does about 100-120 9mm ok. 150 seems to be a little to much. Run 4-6 hours. I ran overnight once by mistake after I moved it to the garage. They were very clean.

I use the cheap dollar store plastic salad bowl and cheap plastic colander to separate the media. Some magnets can be helpful when rinsing and pouring out water to keep media in the bowl. Some small needle nose pliers to get the occasional media pair stuck In the primer hole.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby XSlevinn » Sun 09 Feb 2014 10:44 am

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend the dual drum or the big single drum? What's the capacity on them like?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Sun 09 Feb 2014 10:49 am

If your talking about harbor freight rock tumblers I don't think their is a big single drum. They have a single and a double. The drums are all the same size so double is double capacity.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby XSlevinn » Sun 09 Feb 2014 11:45 am

Gotcha. The picture just made the single one look a lot bigger.
-Thomas Jefferson
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
XSlevinn
Marksman

Return to The Ammo Bench