Utah Guns Forum banner

Winchester .22 ammo recall

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Shay.ca 
#1 ·
I saw this on UGE and thought I should post it here.

http://www.cabelas.com/assets/pdfs/Winc ... t104536080
PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE WINCHESTER® 22 Long Rifle RIMFIRE AMMUNITION
Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling two (2) lots of M*22TM 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Copper Plated Round Nose rimfire ammunition.

Symbol Number: S22LRT Lot Numbers: GD42L and GD52L
Winchester has determined the above lots of 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition may contain double powder charges. Ammunition with double powder charges may subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury and/or death, or cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® M*22TM 22 Long Rifle RIMFIRE AMMUNITION WITH LOT NUMBERS GD42L or GD52L. The ammunition Lot Number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the left tuck flap of the 500-round carton as indicated here. The 1000-round intermediate carton does not have a Lot Number.

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol Number and Lot Number. If it is Symbol Number S22LRT with a Lot Number containing GD42L or GD52L immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 866-423-5224 or visit http://www.winchester.com/Product-Servi ... ct-Us.aspx for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol Number S22LRT with Lot Numbers GD42L and GD52L. Other Symbol Numbers or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition recall please call toll-free 866-423-5224, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 Attn: S22LRT Recall), or visit our website at http://www.winchester.com.
We apologize for this inconvenience.

#3 ·
bltdonahue said:
Everyone should give me all their .22 LR ammo....ALL of it....just to be safe. For the children.

But seriously...there's volume in a .22 LR for a double charge? Hrmmm.
There is quite a bit of room in a 22LR believe it or not.

A couple years ago I pulled a bullet on a Federal Bulk Pack 22LR and there wasn't any powder, just some kind of compound in the bottom of the case.

#4 ·
MarshallDodge said:
bltdonahue said:
Everyone should give me all their .22 LR ammo....ALL of it....just to be safe. For the children.

But seriously...there's volume in a .22 LR for a double charge? Hrmmm.
There is quite a bit of room in a 22LR believe it or not.

A couple years ago I pulled a bullet on a Federal Bulk Pack 22LR and there wasn't any powder, just some kind of compound in the bottom of the case.
The "compound" that you saw was probably the priming compound. It is dripped into the cases and centrifugal force pulls it to the edges where it is then crimped into place.

#7 ·
Aad Geordie said:
Well, I guess I've hit the inverse lottery-I have two boxes that each have one of the lot numbers in question :cry:
I've submitted their online form and received an acknowledgement email saying they'll be in touch.

I'll report on how it goes...
Tell them you want to be able to purchase an undisclosed amount of rounds at cost for the inconvenience.

I'd be in for say 10,000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#8 ·
Well, here's the promised report...

I received a phone a couple of days after posting the on-line form. Guy just said that UPS would come pick it up and gave me some instructions on what to write on the package.
UPS guy called the next day-knew exactly what it was so I'm guessing there's been a few.
Heard nothing until today when a check came in the mail for $100 (it was 1000 rounds so, 10c per round).

That seems like a fair price (unfortunately I paid a little more than that for it as it was before I knew better and I got it from a scalper on UGE). However I have to admit I would have preferred then to have just replaced the ammo. I expect that would have been cheaper for them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.