What should I do with once fired brass?

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Re: What should I do with once fired brass?

Postby scottc528 » Mon 11 Aug 2014 1:05 pm

scottc528 wrote:I have a few hundred once fired brass in .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9 MM, .38 special, & .357. They have not been cleaned or de-primed and mostly not sorted. Is there somewhere to sell or trade brass for cash or factory ammo? I have not ventured into reloading yet. I may try it in the future when I have more time. All of this brass is from ammo fired at an indoor range by myself and my sons. Anyone have any experience in trading or selling brass, advice appreciated.

I still have this brass available. I just haven't had time to do anything with it. I was planning on sending it to Freedom Munitions on their brass credit program. They pay the market value of $2.50 per pound. I have 30 pounds. If someone locally were seriously interested, I would sell it to them $75 or best offer. PM or email me if interested. Can be picked up in Riverdale/Ogden.
scottc528
Novice

Postby D-FIN » Mon 11 Aug 2014 1:31 pm

Anyone have 1000 casings in 9mm they can weight? I'm curious how much that weights and then compares to going rates around here. I've seen it anywhere from $25-$50 for 1000 fired uncleaned 9mm casings and most of that is just range brass.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Beretta96 » Mon 11 Aug 2014 1:52 pm

D-FIN wrote:Anyone have 1000 casings in 9mm they can weight? I'm curious how much that weights and then compares to going rates around here. I've seen it anywhere from $25-$50 for 1000 fired uncleaned 9mm casings and most of that is just range brass.

I'm finding about 8.5 pounds per thousand for 9mm is close to accurate. You will find that some brass can weigh more than others depending on manufacturer.

Edit: I hand counted these last year and weighed them again today. [img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/12/gepyzy8e.jpg[/img]
Beretta96
Marksman

Postby FrankenHollow » Mon 11 Aug 2014 4:16 pm

:!:
Last edited by FrankenHollow on Thu 28 May 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need a new signature. This one sucks.
FrankenHollow
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Mon 11 Aug 2014 9:15 pm

Beretta96 wrote:
D-FIN wrote:Anyone have 1000 casings in 9mm they can weight? I'm curious how much that weights and then compares to going rates around here. I've seen it anywhere from $25-$50 for 1000 fired uncleaned 9mm casings and most of that is just range brass.

I'm finding about 8.5 pounds per thousand for 9mm is close to accurate. You will find that some brass can weigh more than others depending on manufacturer.

So according to that $2.50 per pound then 1000 9mm would be about 21-22 bucks allowing for slight variations in weight. In reality I think $30 or is is about the cheapest I 've seen local. I saw some for $25 once but can't remember where. So far I have not bought any. I just pick it up at the range.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby James » Sun 28 Dec 2014 11:06 pm

If you have a bucketful it is worth while to take it to: http://valleymetalrecycling.com/
Might as well get paid for it.
Reload it.
Sell or give it to a reloader? Trade?
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby scottc528 » Mon 29 Dec 2014 10:15 am

UPDATE: I traded my brass in and used it for credit for new ammo from Freedom Munitions https://www.freedommunitions.com/ I jumped on one of their specials and got a great deal. I shipped them over 70 lbs of mixed brass, I got 250 rounds .45 acp for basically the shipping charges. This was a good option for me as I am not set up to reload (yet). Maybe sometime in the future.
scottc528
Novice

Postby Sam Fidler » Thu 01 Jan 2015 9:19 am

The ATF considers your brass the critical component of ammunition. As such, if you give me brass, I can load it for you as a service instead of a purchase. This means no Federal Excise Tax at 11% and no Sales tax at 6.85% besides the obvious cost for brass which is often the most expensive part of a bullet.

For example, I can load and sell .45 ACP for around $19 a box. With sales tax it comes to $20.30. If you provide the brass your price would be $15 a box or $14 per 50 if you don't need them boxed.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Previous

Return to The Ammo Bench