Just ordered my first reloading press

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Just ordered my first reloading press

Postby XSlevinn » Thu 13 Feb 2014 10:15 pm

Just ordered a Lee Loadmaster 223 reloading press, a Frankford Arsenal reloading scale and a bullet puller to get me started. Will be getting my tumbler and media within the next week I think. I'm getting there! Oh I also got The ABCs of Reloading book to hopefully help me get started.

I know I still have a few more things to get before I'm ready to go... Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Re: Just ordered my first reloading press

Postby Sam Fidler » Thu 13 Feb 2014 10:57 pm

Yes, find someone who can help coach you through the process.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby XSlevinn » Fri 14 Feb 2014 8:59 am

Unfortunately I don't really know anyone very well that has a progressive press... So it's mostly books, YouTube, and articles for me.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby 1 911 » Fri 14 Feb 2014 10:31 am

Consider getting a second job to feed the new habit...... :D

You tube can help, but a good mentor is the best way to get good and safe results fast.
1 911
Marksman

Postby Sam Fidler » Fri 14 Feb 2014 11:56 am

XSlevinn wrote:Unfortunately I don't really know anyone very well that has a progressive press... So it's mostly books, YouTube, and articles for me.

Where do you live? I can offer a couple hours time to discuss the basics if you're in the Salt Lake Valley.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby FrankenHollow » Fri 14 Feb 2014 12:32 pm

:lol:
Last edited by FrankenHollow on Fri 29 May 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need a new signature. This one sucks.
FrankenHollow
Sniper

Postby XSlevinn » Fri 14 Feb 2014 2:26 pm

Sam Fidler wrote:
XSlevinn wrote:Unfortunately I don't really know anyone very well that has a progressive press... So it's mostly books, YouTube, and articles for me.

Where do you live? I can offer a couple hours time to discuss the basics if you're in the Salt Lake Valley.

I'm in Orem :/

I got SmartReloader SR1750 Reloading Bullet Puller
-Thomas Jefferson
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby James » Tue 18 Mar 2014 4:23 pm

You will need dies and a shell plate. A powder measure is sure nice. You will tire quite quickly of dipping and weighing each charge.
Have fun.
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby XSlevinn » Thu 20 Mar 2014 3:06 pm

It came with some dies and whatnot. Since my last post I have also gotten calipers. All my brass is tumbled and very very shiny.

I have a barrel length gauge on its way. Should be here Friday. That way I can check what the chamber length of my guns are so I know if I really need to trim or not.

Anyone have good methods on how to dry the inside of 223 and other bottlenecked rounds?

I think all I need to do is now get the components and actually start reloading. I just have to figure out which powder to use with which bullets and what not so I have an idea of what to look for.
-Thomas Jefferson
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby Creek » Thu 20 Mar 2014 6:32 pm

That's the fun part of reloading, figuring out what your gun likes, powder, bullets, case length ect......get ready to become addicted
Instructor:
NRA Basic Pistol
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Utah CFP
NRA Personal Protection In The home
NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home
Creek
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Thu 20 Mar 2014 11:42 pm

Dry them with heat. I put my 9mm on a cookie sheet on paper towels and set it in top of a heating pad. Some put it in an oven on low low setting. I'm sure it works but seems like it would be a costly way to do it.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby muddy » Fri 21 Mar 2014 5:44 am

XSlevinn wrote:It came with some dies and whatnot. Since my last post I have also gotten calipers. All my brass is tumbled and very very shiny.

I have a barrel length gauge on its way. Should be here Friday. That way I can check what the chamber length of my guns are so I know if I really need to trim or not.
Trim all your rifle cases to minimum case length for best accuracy and uniformity.

Anyone have good methods on how to dry the inside of 223 and other bottlenecked rounds?
Don't get them wet in the first place. If you are using a tumbler, media and maybe a little polish like Nu-Finish there is no reason that your cases should see any liquid unless it’s raining while shooting. If you do have some wet cases pop the primer and let them set on a towel until dry or apply a little heat to speed up the process.

I think all I need to do is now get the components and actually start reloading. I just have to figure out which powder to use with which bullets and what not so I have an idea of what to look for.
muddy
Marksman

Postby XSlevinn » Fri 21 Mar 2014 10:10 am

D-FIN wrote:Dry them with heat. I put my 9mm on a cookie sheet on paper towels and set it in top of a heating pad. Some put it in an oven on low low setting. I'm sure it works but seems like it would be a costly way to do it.

Would a cookie sheet on a heating pad heat it up enough to dry them? Are you talking like a heat pad for muscles? Just doesn't seem like that would be enough?

Muddy, these loads are just for plinking really. Not precision loading. I don't know that it's worth it to take all that time to trim them if they don't need to be?

I wet tumble my cases. water, drop of dish soap and a dash of lemi shine in a tumbler for a few hours.
-Thomas Jefferson
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby Car Knocker » Fri 21 Mar 2014 12:52 pm

Or put that cookie sheet in the oven at its lowest setting for a while. As those of us whose bare skin have encountered a freshly ejected shell know, brass gets quite hot when a cartridge is fired and can certainly withstand the much lower temperature of an oven at its lowest setting (my oven is about 165 degrees at its lowest).
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Fri 21 Mar 2014 3:10 pm

XSlevinn wrote:
D-FIN wrote:Dry them with heat. I put my 9mm on a cookie sheet on paper towels and set it in top of a heating pad. Some put it in an oven on low low setting. I'm sure it works but seems like it would be a costly way to do it.

Would a cookie sheet on a heating pad heat it up enough to dry them? Are you talking like a heat pad for muscles? Just doesn't seem like that would be enough?

Muddy, these loads are just for plinking really. Not precision loading. I don't know that it's worth it to take all that time to trim them if they don't need to be?

I wet tumble my cases. water, drop of dish soap and a dash of lemi shine in a tumbler for a few hours.

seems to work pretty well for my 9mm.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Next

Return to The Ammo Bench