Um... who hoarded all the powder ?

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Um... who hoarded all the powder ?

Postby gravedancer » Sun 17 Aug 2014 12:15 pm

So, I decided to get back into reloading, after not doing so in 15 years or so. Went out yesterday, purchased a press, Dies, and all the other gear Id need... only to discover that apparently there is not a single pound of pistol powder to be had from any of the well known retail outlets, or even popular online stores.

Anyone know where a guy could get a couple pounds of pistol powder without waiting 8-12 weeks for backorders ?
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Re: Um... who hoarded all the powder ?

Postby J_dazzle23 » Sun 17 Aug 2014 12:47 pm

I used to reload a lot for my 7 mm Remington mag.....powder (albeit montana) was easy to find in every variety, until the 2012 election, and it seems like the shelves have been bare since.
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby gravedancer » Sun 17 Aug 2014 2:02 pm

J_dazzle23 wrote:I used to reload a lot for my 7 mm Remington mag.....powder (albeit montana) was easy to find in every variety, until the 2012 election, and it seems like the shelves have been bare since.

I found at least 20 places that had rifle powder in stock, but it took me 2 days of searching to find any pistol powder, and that was through a private party off of utah gun exchange.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Sun 17 Aug 2014 2:16 pm

Talk to Doc Jenks, he tends to unload some on UGE now and again.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Sun 17 Aug 2014 6:54 pm

The issue wasn't necessarily hoarding but that when all the loaded ammo disappeared off the shelves, the ammo manufacturers needed powder to fill orders.

This was confirmed by several people I spoke with at SHOT show this year that all the powder had been bought up until at least 2015 by the big ammo makers.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Uinta Firearms » Mon 18 Aug 2014 8:54 am

How is that so when I see people posting finds in Illinois?

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf
Uinta Firearms
Marksman

Postby MarshallDodge » Mon 18 Aug 2014 9:42 am

Uinta Firearms wrote:How is that so when I see people posting finds in Illinois?

Only certain powders are used with the more popular cartridges. If you watch the availability at the suppliers it would seem that the faster shotgun and pistol powders, as well as the powders used in the production of 223 and 308 are the most scarce. Magnum, 50 BMG, and some of the newer pistol powders are becoming more available due to manufacturers not needing those types in their production.

I would also assume that powder manufacturers are going to be producing the powder that has the most demand right now.
Kirk
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Uinta Firearms » Mon 18 Aug 2014 10:39 am

Please excuse my n00b-ness. I'm not familiar with reloading, yet. I was told I was going to receive a Dillon press last Christmas, but my mom decided to send cash via USPS instead. The small envelope, being insured for $500, was never delivered. Tracking said it never left Salt Lake City, where she gave the envelope to a USPS employee at the counter. She filed the claim and they initially granted her $20. She appealed and won. USPS said it's going to be September or October when they pay out because they were currently overwhelmed with insurance claims for international shipments.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, and slightly going off topic. I would love to start reloading and learning about the different powders, primers, etc.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf
Uinta Firearms
Marksman

Postby MarshallDodge » Mon 18 Aug 2014 11:07 am

Uinta Firearms wrote:Please excuse my n00b-ness.

No problem. Dillon makes a good press so you won't have an issue there.
Kirk
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Mon 18 Aug 2014 12:19 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:
Uinta Firearms wrote:Please excuse my n00b-ness.

No problem. Dillon makes a good press so you won't have an issue there.

Yep the press I learned on was my Dads dillon press, and its still going strong 20 years later.
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby Doctor Jenks » Tue 19 Aug 2014 3:29 pm

D-FIN wrote:Talk to Doc Jenks, he tends to unload some on UGE now and again.
I was selling some power pistol a few weeks ago, but I don't currently have anything that I'm selling. Check UGE, there are sometimes people selling pistol powder. PM me if you get really desperate, I might be willing to part with something from my personal stash just to get you started.
8-)
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby morcey2 » Fri 22 Aug 2014 11:29 am

PM Sent.....
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer