Bad Experience - Ventura .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Bad Experience - Ventura .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 28 Dec 2014 2:52 pm

So, I thought I'd go the inexpensive route and order some Ventura Tactical .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP Ammo. While I've had good experience with remanufactured ammo from places like High Country Ammo and Freedom Munitions this is the first time I'd tried anything from Ventura. At 28 cents a round the price was right so I thought I'd give it a try.

I headed up to my local range (WSA) this morning with my M&P R8 revolver and took along the Ventura .38 Special ammo. It was evident from the get go the rounds were very softly loaded. Even one of the RSO's made comment about the powder load because of how quiet it was. Well, after only 24 rounds I got a squib. As I didn't have my squib rod with me the M&P R8 had to go back into the range back while I continued to have fun with my M&P 40 full-size and Shield and my M&P 15.

When I got home I removed a bullet from one of the Ventura rounds and poured out the powder to see how much was in the round. I compared it to that from an American Eagle 38 SPCL 130gr FMJ round and there seemed to be a difference in both the amount of powder (though to tell in the pictures and appearance. As I'm not a reloader I don't have scales to measure the amount of powder and I thought I'd ask those of you that do reload if it appeared at least from the picture if the powder charge seemed sufficient?

Ventura .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP Round.jpg
Ventura Tactical .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP
Ventura .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP Round.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

As a point of reference the following image is of the American Eagle 38 SPCL 130gr FMJ round.
Attachments
American Eagle 38 SPCL 130 Gr. FMJ Round.jpg
American Eagle 38 SPCL 130gr FMJ
American Eagle 38 SPCL 130 Gr. FMJ Round.jpg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: Bad Experience - Ventura .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP

Postby Car Knocker » Sun 28 Dec 2014 3:14 pm

The weight of the proper charge depends on the burn characteristics of the powder; that is, given the same bullet, case and primer, a lesser amount of fast-burning powder will generally be required than if a slower-burning powder was used. The powder in the two photos appear to be quite different, so without knowing what the burn rates are, it's not possible to determine whether the cartridges from Ventura were adequately powered merely from looking at photos.

Ventura appears to be a distributor of ammunition sourced from a number of manufacturers rather than being a manufacturer itself. As such, I'd expect a certain amount of variation in quality depending on the source of the particular batches and the quality control of these manufacturers.

As in everything else, caveat emptor.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Re: Bad Experience - Ventura .38 Special 125gr TMJ FP

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 28 Dec 2014 4:08 pm

I sent an email to Ventura right after I got back from the range with pictures and an explanation of what I ran into. Keeping in mind it's Sunday I got a response from them no more that 15 minutes later!. Wow, that's customer care and service for you! They said they fully stand behind incorrect or malfunctioning ammo and that they'll take care of things for me.

Turns out they were aware of a bad batch of primers and, although they thought they'd caught them all and pulled them from production he said judging by the picture I sent him some may have made their way through. Regardless, they're going to make good on their word.

Turns out the guy I'm emailing back and forth has quite the pre-70's revolver collection, mostly .38 Special/.357's, so now we've moved on to gun conversations. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Return to The Ammo Bench