New Christmas fun

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

New Christmas fun

Postby D-FIN » Tue 30 Dec 2014 12:16 am

Got my Lee Loadmaster all set up and ready to go. Mounted on a Harbor Freight bench grinder stand ($29.99) with a 12x12 3/4 in piece of plywood on top of that.

Cranked out 200 rounds of pre-sized/belled/primed 9mm casings already. Hooked up the primer assembly to test out next but I'm almost out of bullets. Time to order some more.

Had trouble with the micrometer adjustable powder bar so have stuck with the auto disks and they seem to be pretty consistent. Running 4.9 gr Power Pistol pushing a 124 gr bullet

Still need to order my RCBS lockout die and may e the Lee case collator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Re: New Christmas fun

Postby Beretta96 » Tue 30 Dec 2014 7:12 am

Nice setup. The adjustable charge bar is good for anything less than three grains otherwise I just use the disks.
Beretta96
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Tue 30 Dec 2014 8:27 am

Holy cow. I can't belive you snagged the NEW pretzel thins. Those look delicious. Congrats! :dancing:

That reloader is nice too. :D
Snurd
Posse

Postby quychang » Tue 30 Dec 2014 8:38 am

Snurd wrote:Holy cow. I can't belive you snagged the NEW pretzel thins. Those look delicious. Congrats! :dancing:

I noticed that right away too Tracey, but I thought he was using some amount of pretzel per round, perhaps as a buffering agent to slow down the powder burn.

Seriously, I'm considering adding a reloader to the dungeon this year. I assume that you have to have a secondary bench or table for supplies, etc? I've looked at that same stand for a scroll saw, but no room for anything but the machine.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Tue 30 Dec 2014 9:05 am

quychang wrote:
Snurd wrote:Holy cow. I can't belive you snagged the NEW pretzel thins. Those look delicious. Congrats! :dancing:

I noticed that right away too Tracey, but I thought he was using some amount of pretzel per round, perhaps as a buffering agent to slow down the powder burn.

Seriously, I'm considering adding a reloader to the dungeon this year. I assume that you have to have a secondary bench or table for supplies, etc? I've looked at that same stand for a scroll saw, but no room for anything but the machine.

Mel

I don't really have any shop space so most of it is stored in or on the desk behind it in the picture. I have not accumulated rooms full of stuff yet :). The stand has one lower shelf that I have bullets and brass and other heavy stuff on to add weight to the bench.

The pretzel thins are for sustenance during those marathon reloading sessions.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Tue 30 Dec 2014 9:09 am

Beretta96 wrote:Nice setup. The adjustable charge bar is good for anything less than three grains otherwise I just use the disks.

Ya I was hoping it would let me dial in that extra 10th of a grain I was aiming for but I decide it was not worth it. I'm only reloading for practice rounds not looking for match rounds.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby XSlevinn » Fri 02 Jan 2015 9:32 am

I have a Lee Loadmaster as well. In fact I've had it for several months and haven't used the thing yet because I was so busy studying for my Security+ and moving and looking for a new job all at once.. Now that I have all of that done and am settled, I plan to set this up and give it a go. Any problems you've noticed so far? I've used it a little to decap the brass and stuff.. and so far the thing that has been bugging me is that the little plastic arm that slides up and down the frame to push in the base to spin it always slides off the rail it glides on. It just twists and then it won't go all the way down to cycle the base (sorry forgot the actual names of the parts right now).

Any troubles with that at all?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Fri 02 Jan 2015 11:35 am

XSlevinn wrote:I have a Lee Loadmaster as well. In fact I've had it for several months and haven't used the thing yet because I was so busy studying for my Security+ and moving and looking for a new job all at once.. Now that I have all of that done and am settled, I plan to set this up and give it a go. Any problems you've noticed so far? I've used it a little to decap the brass and stuff.. and so far the thing that has been bugging me is that the little plastic arm that slides up and down the frame to push in the base to spin it always slides off the rail it glides on. It just twists and then it won't go all the way down to cycle the base (sorry forgot the actual names of the parts right now).

Any troubles with that at all?

I have not had any serious troubles that I have not been able to identify and work through quickly. It seems to get held up somewhere a couple times early on and that might have been it. I have put a tiny bit of gun oil on the part where it slides out and at one point the plastic end on the part it gave a good twist to align it back vertically with press, but for the most part it has seemed to work ok. I also put a little bit of oil on the inside part where I could see some wear from it indexing the shellplate.

Couple places I have been going through could be helpful to you.

http://loadmastervideos.com/ and http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/

That 2nd one has lot of modifications he has done to his Loadmaster to improve certain things and several of them he will do for you for a fee. If I have any trouble with my priming system I may send it to him to overhaul with his mods.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Return to The Ammo Bench