Self Defense Ammo

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Self Defense Ammo

Postby Bluenzo » Thu 12 Mar 2015 7:48 pm

When I first bought my glock 19 at a local gun store (Gun Vault) about a month ago I was asked if I wanted some self defense ammo. I said yes and they gave me some federal hydra shock hollow points (I dont remember which grain). Currently both my wife and I carry this ammo.

I have been doing some research lately and I have read that hydra shock from federal is ~20 year old technology and is some of the cheapest stuff you can get. I am a perfectionist and I want the best (or close too it lol) ammo for self defense. I heard some good stuff about gold dot? I guess I have a few questions...

1) Is a glock 19 considered a short barrel? (Im guessing not)

2) Is a Ruger LC9s considered a short barrel? (Im guessing yes)

3) Can the ruger LC9s handle +p ammo?

4) Is +p recommended for self defense purposes? I am looking at this from gold dot:
"23617 9mm Luger +P 124 grain"

I have the glock and my wife has the ruger lc9s, should we use different ammo (short barrel from gold dot) or would it really not make a difference? I was thinking of just sharing the same ammo as both our guns are 9mm.

5) Any other brands besides gold dot?

I cant seem to find anything in stock online for the 9mm +p 124 grain gold dot.

Sorry for the rant, I am new with lots of questions. I think I had some more questions but I forgot while typing this up haha... Thanks guys!
Bluenzo
Novice

Re: Self Defense Ammo

Postby FrankenHollow » Thu 12 Mar 2015 9:02 pm

Centerfire cartridges using smokeless powder is 125+ year old technology. Don't get too wrapped up in how long something has been on the market, in judging its effectiveness and quality.
One of the best rifle cartridge hunting bullets on the market uses cup-and-core "technology" first introduced in 1877. :wink:

Hydra-Shoks are decent. Don't worry about them, as long as they function properly in your firearms.

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. This is what Ruger has to say:
"Note on +P Ammunition: Although the RUGER® LC9 is capable of
functioning with 9mm +P ammunition, a steady diet of +P ammunition will
shorten the endurance life of the RUGER® LC9. You should never shoot 9mm
+P+ ammunition in your RUGER® LC9. There are no SAAMI or CIP pressure
limits on 9mm +P+ and use of this ammunition could result in serious injury.
" [emphasis mine]

4. If your firearm can handle it, and you think the extra velocity (if any) will help, then feel free to use +P ammo. In general, it doesn't matter whether you use +P ammo or 'standard pressure' ammo. (I use quotation marks for "+P" because many of the loads actually being sold as "+P" aren't actually operating with increased pressure - which is what +P stands for "plus pressure". Most of the loads are pure marketing, and hardly, if at all, better than 'standard grade' offerings.) Just be sure to thoroughly test the ammo before deciding to trust your life to it.

5. I ran Hydra-Shoks in my 9mm until they were in short supply for quite some time. I tried a few other options (including the miserably-performing Hornady CD ammo), and ended up settling on Speer 115 gr GDHP +P. I prefer a 147 gr bullet, and my pistol usually runs better with heavy projectiles; but the 115 gr load was 100% reliable and cheaper than the other options. It's also a good terminal performance option. So that's what I stocked up on...

One thing that has always treated me well, but I can almost never find (or I can't find it at a good price) is the Winchester Ranger SXT line of ammo. It is essentially a "Black Talon" without the 'evil' Lubalox surface treatment on the bullet. The have always run perfectly for me, and the bullet does a great job. But, I can never find what I want, when I'm in the market. :roll:
I need a new signature. This one sucks.
FrankenHollow
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Thu 12 Mar 2015 9:08 pm

I prefer Gold Dots or Federal HST. They both perform great. I'm sure there are other brands as well.

I think +p is fine in a Glock, but I would call them to make sure, or check your manual . I don't know about the Ruger, so the above info would be a good idea as well.

I run regular hollow points through mine. They work fine. You'll get a little boost from the +p, but you'll also notice more recoil.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Fri 13 Mar 2015 1:18 pm

I have been using Hornady 135gr Critical Duty becasue it is what I have been able to find regularly. I'd love to try out the HST or gold dot but have never seen any on the shelf. As for the Hydro-Shocks I have used in both the Glock 26 and the shield with no trouble but I only ever had the one box. I hate the box that is a pain to open and that only comes in 20 rnds.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 13 Mar 2015 2:41 pm

I'm a fan of the Cor-Bon 9mm +P DPX 115 gr solid copper hollow point's. That said, all of the ones mentioned will get the job done.

It really boils down to personal preference, what cycles best through a person's carry gun, and a person's ability to manage recoil for a given defensive round in the caliber of choice.

Once zeroed in on a couple of defensive round options, it's worth buying a box of each to cycle them through the intended carry gun prior to making the final decision on which one to go with.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Bluenzo » Fri 13 Mar 2015 4:45 pm

D-FIN wrote:I have been using Hornady 135gr Critical Duty becasue it is what I have been able to find regularly. I'd love to try out the HST or gold dot but have never seen any on the shelf. As for the Hydro-Shocks I have used in both the Glock 26 and the shield with no trouble but I only ever had the one box. I hate the box that is a pain to open and that only comes in 20 rnds.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's impossible to open those boxes haha
Bluenzo
Novice

Postby Doctor Jenks » Fri 13 Mar 2015 4:46 pm

I'm with Snurd on this. Gold Dots or Federal HST are my preference. Although I like Federal HST slightly better.

The research I've done on the subject agrees with yours. Technology has advanced such that Hydra shoks are a bit outdated. Not to say they wouldn't get the job done; they are far better than the FMJs I've found some people keep in their home defense firearm.

edited to add:

Here is a link showing an experts opinion on ammo choice, Doctor Gary Roberts. He gives several other good options, besides those given already in this thread.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby Bluenzo » Fri 13 Mar 2015 9:27 pm

I think I want to try some gold dot +p 124 gr but everywhere shows out of stock. Must be really popular?
What is a good online website that is fast/cheap shipping, fast to process orders and reliable and good reviews etc... (price not being an issue)???
Bluenzo
Novice

Postby Snurd » Fri 13 Mar 2015 9:35 pm

Bluenzo wrote:I think I want to try some gold dot +p 124 gr but everywhere shows out of stock. Must be really popular?
What is a good online website that is fast/cheap shipping, fast to process orders and reliable and good reviews etc... (price not being an issue)???

Gold dots can be hard to find. This website has some in stock, but not the 124 +p you are looking for.
http://www.sgammo.com/site_search?populate=9mm+gold+dot

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Self Defense Ammo

Postby Snurd » Fri 13 Mar 2015 9:40 pm

These guys have HST's in 124 +p and 147 +p both in stock as of right now.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/SearchRe ... mit=Search

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Snurd » Fri 13 Mar 2015 9:43 pm

Snurd
Posse

Postby Bluenzo » Fri 13 Mar 2015 9:59 pm

Ah I see my mistake. I was searching by model numbers from the website:
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_D ... o_FAQ/#9mm

It seems the model numbers change, that might explain why everything is out of stock for what I am searching for.... Old model number perhaps...
Bluenzo
Novice

Postby Snurd » Sat 14 Mar 2015 11:47 am

If you are near North Logan, this guy has 124 grain HST's.

http://www.utahgunexchange.com/ads/fede ... p-and-fmj/
Snurd
Posse

Postby MarshallDodge » Mon 16 Mar 2015 7:46 pm

DocGKR, the guy who is considered an expert in the field of how defensive ammo should do it's job, has this to say on the subject:

The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
-- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
-- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
-- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

I don't know if he meant to put them in any order but basically spend lots of time training and learning how to use your firearm so that you can put that super-duper round you are carrying where it belongs. :D
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Photocell » Mon 16 Mar 2015 8:30 pm

1000 rds. of self defense ammo? I know you should put a fair amount of the specific round you are going to carry down range, but at $1+/rd. I have a hard time justifying putting that nice of ammo through paper. I've been looking for .40 GDHP 165gr for a few months now. I can find 180 and 155 but pass on buying them because I have ran the 165's through my EDC and know they work.
Photocell
Marksman

Next

Return to The Ammo Bench