Self Defense Ammo

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Re: Self Defense Ammo

Postby Snurd » Mon 16 Mar 2015 8:41 pm

Photocell wrote:1000 rds. of self defense ammo? I know you should put a fair amount of the specific round you are going to carry down range, but at $1+/rd. I have a hard time justifying putting that nice of ammo through paper. I've been looking for .40 GDHP 165gr for a few months now. I can find 180 and 155 but pass on buying them because I have ran the 165's through my EDC and know they work.

I don't think he's saying put 1000 rounds of SD ammo through your gun. I think he's saying find a good SD load, buy a crap ton of it, and don't worry about if it penetrates an extra inch over the other rounds or not. Practice a lot, get some good SD rounds and carry them, and don't worry about it. :dunno:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Tue 17 Mar 2015 12:10 pm

I don't think he meant to take the 1000 rounds and use for target practice. Shoot enough to know it works reliable in your gun. Some say about 200 rounds. I admit I have not put 200 rounds of the same SD ammo through my gun. The rest is to keep on hand so if thing go really south you have what you need. You don't have to buy it all at once just pick up a box or 2 whenever you can and add it to your stash. I only have a few boxes of SD ammo but I am getting to where I have about a 1000 or so target ammo. Hard to keep it at the level but getting easier now I have a progressive press.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 19 Mar 2015 8:02 am

A fairly good article in the NRA American Rifleman regarding self-defense ammo considerations:

Six Things to Consider When Choosing Self-Defense Handgun Ammunition
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby James » Tue 03 Nov 2015 10:03 pm

Hmmmmm........ I don't know about Gold Dots nor any other factory ammo, I have been reloading my ammo for many years.
My take on ammo is first that it must work in your piece. Hey if it does that and gets that bullet sailing, you have what we
carry for. The possibility to take out a threat. I don't care what your piece is 22, 38, 44, 45, whatever if it goes bang that
speeding bullet will do damage to whatever it hits. The main thing is to use ammo that goes bang and do enough shooting to be
able to hit a target. Have fun shooting! Hope we never need to use it to defend ourselves. Yet want to have the option?
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby gwarren » Tue 22 Dec 2015 12:54 pm

A late post, as it looks. My 2 bits, I carry Federal HST 124 gr. HP exclusively in my Ruger SR9c. Have done for years. I load a lot of FMJ to match the chronograph MV for training/practice. Very economical. I don't carry +P as I am big on shot placement, that's just me, other opinions are correct for other shooters.

As I have aged a bit, I carry my Ruger LC9s with 115 gr. Hornady XTP HP, in a reduced load, 990 fps, a bit more, and load FMJ to match velocity and felt recoil. The smaller frame size is a bit harder to control, again, that's just me.

These combinations work VERY WELL for me. We are all a little different though. I load a lot. I chrono and check grouping patterns closely. My advice, buy good ammo and train with it. Train more with clones of your carry ammo.
Think remanufactured ammo at gun shows.

These are my thoughts on defensive ammo and concealed carry. If we go to war, I want a 1911 with 200 gr HP! They teach you in the army that a FMJ goes through the enemy, then it takes 2 more to carry him out. I am looking to kill the SOB!!

A better solution for ammo, get a group together, and invest in and share a progressive press!!! It does work. :swat:

Keep your brass clean, and your powder dry!
WM
gwarren
Novice

Postby James » Thu 08 Dec 2016 3:54 pm

Don't worry too much about the bullet type. Get something that functions well in your piece. It needs to go bang and recycle every time.

I have seen the lowly 22 LR (40 grain bullet) cartridge kill every kind of beast that roams the Northern Utah woods. Yes, up to and including deer, elk, moose, horses and cows. The first requirement is hit the target. If you want an instant kill, hit the target in the brain! A heart shot is next best but likely the (whatever) won't go down as fast as a head shot.

A 380 Auto, 45 Auto, 9MM, will get the job done if you can shoot. Practice, practice, practice.
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby Doctor Jenks » Thu 08 Dec 2016 6:29 pm

Ah! Zombie Thread!
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby dewittdj » Thu 08 Dec 2016 7:58 pm

Ever wonder why the military, federal police, FBI, and the vast majority of federal agencies with their own militia forces predominately use ball (full metal [copper] jacketed) ammunition?
Simple answer, because it works.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby MichaelD » Fri 09 Dec 2016 11:03 pm

dewittdj wrote:Ever wonder why the military, federal police, FBI, and the vast majority of federal agencies with their own militia forces predominately use ball (full metal [copper] jacketed) ammunition?

The military uses FMJ due to their desire to follow the Hague Convention of 1899, despite the fact the U.S. did not ratify it. None of the others use FMJ for duty use; do you have a credible source that says otherwise?
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P9c
pistol-training.com
The M&P Endurance Gun
Dr. Gary K. Roberts' list of recommended SD ammo

Carry guns are like work trucks: who cares if they get beat up a little as long as they work when you need them to.
MichaelD
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Sat 10 Dec 2016 9:41 am

MichaelD wrote:
dewittdj wrote:Ever wonder why the military, federal police, FBI, and the vast majority of federal agencies with their own militia forces predominately use ball (full metal [copper] jacketed) ammunition?

The military uses FMJ due to their desire to follow the Hague Convention of 1899, despite the fact the U.S. did not ratify it. None of the others use FMJ for duty use; do you have a credible source that says otherwise?

Granted, my information on all of the agencies cited, is dated (a few years old) so, perhaps I need to research who has switched. I have worked with members of DHS, FBI, and federal police recently (within the past 5 years) and they were all still carrying FMJ.

I'll see your "credible source" and raise you a "credible source" as in what credible source do you have that says "None of the others use FMJ..."?
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby MichaelD » Sat 10 Dec 2016 11:48 am

dewittdj wrote:
MichaelD wrote:

Granted, my information on all of the agencies cited, is dated (a few years old) so, perhaps I need to research who has switched. I have worked with members of DHS, FBI, and federal police recently (within the past 5 years) and they were all still carrying FMJ.

I'll see your "credible source" and raise you a "credible source" as in what credible source do you have that says "None of the others use FMJ..."?

Sure... my source is Dr. Gary K. Roberts (aka "DocGKR") and the various federal agents who are active over on pistol-forum.com.
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P9c
pistol-training.com
The M&P Endurance Gun
Dr. Gary K. Roberts' list of recommended SD ammo

Carry guns are like work trucks: who cares if they get beat up a little as long as they work when you need them to.
MichaelD
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Mon 12 Dec 2016 8:22 pm

Well... research shows that many of the federal agencies as well as the DoD has been purchasing hundred of millions of rounds of JHP (jacketed hollow point) ammunition. Definitely not only for training/range use. So I stand corrected.

FMJ will still be used on the battle field. I wonder where the DoD will be using JHPs?
dewittdj
Top Shot

Previous

Return to The Ammo Bench