Do I have the ability to buy 9mm ammo?

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Postby UCChris » Thu 24 Sep 2015 11:48 pm

Quick question for you guys. As many of you know, I conceal carry under the authority of a Maine non-resident permit. I bought my handguns via private sale, which I researched and found to be completely legal. This is all well and good, but I can't buy any freakin' ammo for my gun since I'm 19! I can't go to a range, blow through the ammo I brought, then go buy another box or something. Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating.

My question is this: Can I buy handgun ammo via private sale? I would assume that I can, but I wanted to check. I'm getting tired of having to inconvenience my older friends by asking them to go buy me ammo now that I don't live with my parents anymore. But I'm thinking that a friend buying 9mm ammo specifically to give to me to fire in my handguns would probably be considered a straw purchase of some sort.

If it turns out I can buy via private sale, does anyone around the Sandy to Provo area have some 9mm ammo you want to sell? :wink: I'm happy to pay exactly what you paid so you can just pick some more up. I'll even drive straight to your place so it inconveniences you as little as possible. I've been saving up and I've a decent chunk of change to blow on ammo. I was planning on ordering a case of ammo online and just having my parent's pay for it with my money but, again, I'm worried about straw purchases.

Another mini-rant. Even if I can buy via private sale, I have to wait for cheap FMJ (WWB, PMC, Remmy bulk packs, etc) to show up on UGE. It's not a very consistent way to get food for my perpetually hungry handguns.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
UCChris
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Fri 25 Sep 2015 6:32 am

This is what I could find in a brief search.

Utah Code

Linky

76-10-524. Purchase of firearms pursuant to federal law.
This part will allow purchases of firearms and ammunition pursuant to U.S.C. Title 18 Chapter 44 Sec. 922b(3).

Federal Law
Scroll down to the first little "(b)" that you see on the left.

Linky
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

From what I understand from this, is that someone under 21 can't buy pistol ammo from a dealer. I don't see any restrictions from buying from a private party.

I have heard that you can't buy ammo for someone that is under 21, but I can't find it. Though I don't have time right now to do a big search. You will want to search in the federal code at the link above. Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 922. Hopefully there aren't other areas of the fed code that have gun and ammo regs.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: Do I have the ability to buy 9mm ammo?

Postby JoeSparky » Fri 25 Sep 2015 9:41 am

Get yourself a cheap rifle in the caliber you need--- purchase all ammo for the rifle!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby UCChris » Fri 25 Sep 2015 9:46 am

JoeSparky wrote:Get yourself a cheap rifle in the caliber you need--- purchase all ammo for the rifle!

I've tried that. I had a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I believe federal law says that "handgun" rounds can be purchased by someone under 21 if it is with the intent to use in a pistol caliber carbine. Problem is, none of the large retailers (Scheels, Cabelas, Walmart, etc) would sell to me when I asked and explained the circumstances to them. Big 5 was the only store that would sell to me, but their ammo prices are ridiculous.
UCChris
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Fri 25 Sep 2015 10:59 am

Are there any restrictions on buying components to load your own? Primers, powder. etc... I rarely buy 9mm anymore. I think there may even be some places or people setup that you could even arrange to use their equipment to reload. I started with a lee hand press.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Cinhil » Fri 25 Sep 2015 11:16 am

According to BATF, a licensee may sell interchangeable ammunition such as a . 22 cal. rimfire to a person less than age 21 (but age 18 or older) if the dealer is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle.

18 USC 922:
27 CFR 478.99
(I removed the links as they didn't work however, just post these code references in a google search and the information pops up)

Consider, this only applies to licensees (FFL's), not individuals. You can purchase 9mm because it is considered an interchangeable ammunition as there are rifles as well as pistols which use this ammo therefore making it legal for an FFL to sell and for you to buy. If still having difficulty you can purchase online from midwayusa I believe.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Fri 25 Sep 2015 3:11 pm

Just buy a starter reloading press and the stuff to load your own. Better and cheaper than store bought ammo.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Return to The Ammo Bench