Indoor Practice Ammo (Home on the Range?)

This is an area to discuss reloading and other general ammunition topics. Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Neither UCC nor its staff assume any liability for any injury or equipment damage that may result from the use of any load data or methods that may be posted here. It is the responsibility of anyone using this information to verify that the information is accurate, safe and appropriate for the proposed usage.

Indoor Practice Ammo (Home on the Range?)

Postby Aad Geordie » Wed 20 Jan 2016 10:58 am

Thought this was interesting:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/utm-civilian-target-ammunition-the-indoor-training-alternative/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20160120_SHOT16_2&utm_campaign=/blog/utm-civilian-target-ammunition-the-indoor-training-alternative/

Synopsys, for those not in a position (or not inclined) to open the link:
Ultimate Training Munitions, UTM, has introduced a brand-new line of products designed specifically for the personal defense market with their Civilian Target Ammunition training system. A low-velocity, hearing-safe, non-destructive alternative to conventional ammo, Civilian Target Ammunition is designed to be fired safely inside the home using your personal defense handgun, rifle or shotgun, to keep your shooting skills honed between range visits.

John—this would go nicely with your basement laser setup 8)

Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Re: Indoor Practice Ammo (Home on the Range?)

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 20 Jan 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for thinking of me, Geoff. I know, you just want me to be the guinea pig. :wink:

I think I'll still with my Smith & Wesson M&P full-size CO2 air pistol for low velocity practice. That said, I may have to try a box just as an experiment. 8)
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: Indoor Practice Ammo (Home on the Range?)

Postby Aad Geordie » Wed 20 Jan 2016 7:04 pm

Bear in mind there's a cost involved to gear-up your gun to use the special ammo.
Pricing varies from kit to kit in the $199 to $539 range

UTM offers a wide range of kits for popular service weapons including pistols and rifle from major manufacturers such as Beretta, Colt, Heckler & Koch, Glock, SIG Sauer and Smith & Wesson. The kits come with everything necessary to get started and only require a field-strip to install. Depending on the model it may come with a complete upper assembly or it may just require a barrel and spring change.

It would be interesting to know how they feel (to shoot—not to be shot by! (just pre-empting Mr. Snurdlebaum there :wink: )) compared to an air pistol, or even an AirSoft (not sure exactly what the difference is between those two, other than the projectile).
They say the UTM plastic projectile is only 1g, which is just over 15gr (or less than half an average .22 LR), however the average air gun pellet I think is around 7gr or so for .177 (though average .22 air pellets are more in the same ball park as the UTM at around 14 or 15gr). Velocity is another matter—the article mentions 375 fps but it's not clear if that's the rifle or pistol version. I believe that powerful air rifles get into the quadruple digits in the smaller calibers but I don't know about C02 pistols.
[John—is your S&W an air pistol or AirSoft, what do you shoot out of it and do you know the velocity?]
The UTM ammo is designed to not penetrate skin. I doubt you'd have much trouble penetrating skin with a .177 lead pellet—even from a pistol.

I'm also curious about the expelled gasses too, and the need for extracting them from an indoor environment (primer only but there still must be some, I'm guessing).

So—Yes, John—I think you need to be the Guinea Pig :grinningjester:

Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Return to The Ammo Bench