Cerakote Job by Joe Firearms

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

Cerakote Job by Joe Firearms

Postby Snurd » Mon 12 Sep 2016 6:07 pm

My daily carry gun is a Springfield XDS. Working outside, it tends to get a bit sweaty from the person who carries it. I was paying attention to the slide, and keeping it oiled so that it wouldn't rust. Well, I failed to pay attention to the take down lever, and the slide stop.  :bang: They rusted on me. After getting off the rust many times, and trying to re-blue the area, the rust kept coming back. Doing this quite a bit, Mrs. Snurd basically forced me to get the gun colored up with some Cerakote.

I have seen many ads on Utah Gun Exchange for Joe Firearms, so I decided to head down there and see what they could do. I decided to get the slide done, and the small parts on the frame. Mrs. Snurd chose the color. Luckily for me it wasn't pink.  :shock: She chose Blue Titanium.

The gun looks pretty good. It took 4 weeks to get back. They are pretty busy, and they said it may take up to 6 weeks, but it came back in 4.

Slide $85.
Small parts $20.

http://www.joefirearms.com

A few pictures in different light:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: Cerakote Job by Joe Firearms

Postby D-FIN » Mon 12 Sep 2016 8:48 pm

Yep! Should have gone with Pink....... :ROFL:
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Mon 12 Sep 2016 9:36 pm

D-FIN wrote:Yep! Should have gone with Pink....... :ROFL:

But then it would have matched your shoes... :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Wed 14 Sep 2016 12:37 pm

Snurd wrote:
D-FIN wrote:Yep! Should have gone with Pink....... :ROFL:

But then it would have matched your shoes... :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd

I know then I could carry it.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby snowrodeo » Thu 15 Sep 2016 8:47 pm

looks awesome snurd!

maybe the mod.2 needs a makeover........
On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn……from the inside.

-- NRA Life Member
-- Front Sight First Family Guardian
snowrodeo
Novice

Postby ingfam03 » Fri 16 Sep 2016 3:38 am

Wicked cool,
Looks good
ingfam03
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Fri 16 Sep 2016 4:06 pm

It's almost purdy enough to keep as a show piece. Don't worry. I'll be carrying it. It'll get worn over time, but that's what tools are for. :thumbsup:
Snurd
Posse

Postby Snurd » Sun 11 Jun 2017 1:37 pm

Update:

I was reminded on the other forum about this thread and thought that I would update it.

While the gun does look pretty good, there were some problems after inspecting it closer. In their shop it's darker than most shops I've been in, so I couldn't see any issues, and I didn't go through the gun as well as I should have. There was a chip in the Cerakote that goes down to the metal. Not a big deal, but I did pay money for it to be coated, so they should have noticed that, especially since someone probably dropped the slide to have that happen.

Another issue was the small parts that I had done. I initially wanted to do the slide stop and takedown lever because they were rusting on me. From carrying daily in the summer months, it gets pretty sweaty, and the finish on the gun couldn't handle it. Anyway They also did the trigger and mag release. When I had the gun before, this trigger was exceptionally smooth. No grit at all. When I got it back from Joe Firearms, it was incredibly gritty. They didn't take the time to make sure it was smooth before giving it back.

The mag release was bad as well. So bad in fact, that when you pushed the mag release, probably about 70% or more of the time it would stay pushed in. You would have to push it from the other side to get it to go back into place. The cerakote was too thick, and was making the parts gritty and stick. Not great if you plan on carrying it with you, or relying on it for self defense.

Also, they took the sights off to coat the slide. I'm sure that's normal since they have to bake the gun parts, and the front fiber optic probably wouldn't handle that very well. When putting the sights back on, they bent my front sight and left it that way. There were punch marks on the front and rear sights where they used their punches to put them back on. It appears they didn't have a sight tool for it. I know that the XD line of guns are known for their tight sights, but I feel like bending a sight and leaving it that way is pretty much not cool. They didn't take the time to blue the areas where the punches were on the sights either. It looked pretty bad.

I thought about taking it back, but figured if they didn't notice this stuff when putting it back together, I would rather take it to someone who knew what they were doing.

I went over to The Armory, which is just across I-15 from Joe's. I showed the gunsmith the gun and he said that the Cerakote was too thick. Everyone that tried it noticed the mag release was messed up, and that the trigger was gritty. The front sight was messed up enough that I just had them put on a new one. After he installed the sight, he put some blueing on there and made it look good again. Weird. So I left the gun with them so they could work on the parts that were sticking and gritty. Once I got it back, it was back to the way it should have been when I got it back from Joe's. The mag release works great, and the trigger is smooth again.

After that experience I decided to have my wife's gun done at The Armory. It was a Christmas gift, and I wanted it done right. They did a great job on the gun. They spent quite a bit of time making sure all of the parts were smooth. The slide, trigger, mag release, and everything else moved really nicely.

From now on I'll be going to The Armory for all my Cerakote needs.
Snurd
Posse

Return to Chit Chat