Utah Guns Forum banner

UCC Photo Scrapbook

68K views 148 replies 63 participants last post by  quychang 
#1 ·
I thought it might be fun, for those so inclined, to have a UCC photo scrapbook where people can post photos of themselves. Maybe some are camera shy, but quite a number of forum members have already been shown off in the UCC Events forum. Remember this is a photo thread, and so will get picture intensive -- fair warning to those with slow Internet connections. Of course, all photos posted here must be family-friendly.

I'll kick it off. Here's my old avatar:

Here's what a 30-30 round from a Win'94 does to a 2-liter soda bottle that was full of water:

Here's my vacation to a sunny place over there...

And this is NOT me:

See less See more
#3 ·
Eh, no questions! :bat: This is a photo scrapbook thread. :mrgreen:

Oh, alright. It was a safety requirement in that vacation resort to wear it from dusk to dawn when out. I just happened to have it on that day because I didn't want to go find it when the sun went down.

But since this is a photo scrapbook thread, so you've forced me to post another photo. Here are the son and the new grandson with me last January...

Now, photos, not chit chat! (Oh wait, this is this Chit Chat forum, isn't it?) :lol2:

#14 ·
FBMG Smithy said:
SGT Jensen said:
right before we openly carried at Temple Square. :shocked:
That is so awsome. :shades:
No criticism of SGT Jensen, who I very much respect, but I think it may not be a good choice. When this happened, utahbagpiper explained over on OCDO the LDS church's role in the current law against carrying in churches, and pointed out that it's not a good idea to give the church further reason to be concerned about guns on their property. They consider Temple Square to be a "house of worship", which makes carrying -- CC or OC -- illegal there. Of course, it seems unlikely that they'd be very successful at making that definition of "house of worship" stick in court, but raising the issue might convince them that the prohibition needs to be expanded.

That would be a bad thing. Given that such a large percentage of Utah's population is LDS, and so many of our legislators are LDS, the church wields huge political power in this state. They're usually extremely careful not to exercise this power, but that just serves to intensify it in those rare cases when they do make a move.

I don't think OC'ing at Temple Square would prompt any kind of significant push from the church, but it's probably not a good risk to take. There's a possibility that we could end up with church carry as a misdemeanor or felony, rather than an infraction, and we could end up with an expansion in the definition of churches -- maybe some sort of "church zone" analogous to "school zone". At the very least, the debate could derail efforts to improve Utah's gun laws.

As utahbagpiper (Charles Hardy, Policy Director of GOUtah!) puts it: Don't wake the sleeping giant.

At least not until there are no other significant battles to be fought.

#15 ·
swillden said:
FBMG Smithy said:
SGT Jensen said:
right before we openly carried at Temple Square. :shocked:
That is so awsome. :shades:
No criticism of SGT Jensen, who I very much respect, but I think it may not be a good choice. When this happened, utahbagpiper explained over on OCDO the LDS church's role in the current law against carrying in churches, and pointed out that it's not a good idea to give the church further reason to be concerned about guns on their property. They consider Temple Square to be a "house of worship", which makes carrying -- CC or OC -- illegal there. Of course, it seems unlikely that they'd be very successful at making that definition of "house of worship" stick in court, but raising the issue might convince them that the prohibition needs to be expanded.

That would be a bad thing. Given that such a large percentage of Utah's population is LDS, and so many of our legislators are LDS, the church wields huge political power in this state. They're usually extremely careful not to exercise this power, but that just serves to intensify it in those rare cases when they do make a move.

I don't think OC'ing at Temple Square would prompt any kind of significant push from the church, but it's probably not a good risk to take. There's a possibility that we could end up with church carry as a misdemeanor or felony, rather than an infraction, and we could end up with an expansion in the definition of churches -- maybe some sort of "church zone" analogous to "school zone". At the very least, the debate could derail efforts to improve Utah's gun laws.

As utahbagpiper (Charles Hardy, Policy Director of GOUtah!) puts it: Don't wake the sleeping giant.

At least not until there are no other significant battles to be fought.
:agree:

#19 ·
SGT Jensen said:
OK, I'll bite. Here is one of my family and my in laws.

Sweet! I am working on getting my wife to carry, any ideas?

BTW< What holtsers are you and your wife using? Is her's a Serpa, I have been thinking about getting one of those, but what are you using? Leg strap type that most military officers are issued? :shades:

Another BTW, active, reserve or guard. I am assuming the latter. But either way I know quite a few Army guys, a few good ones in this area that I served with overseas.

Let me know.

#20 ·
Both are BlackHawks as far as I can tell. Packingmama's looks like a SERPA Level 2:

SGT Jensen uses a BlackHawk as well, but it looks like a holster that he bought separate from the leg harness, he also appears to have mounted a mag holster onto the leg rig. The leg rigs are compatible with the normal holsters and other holster gear, so you can customize your setup.

You can check out BlackHawk holsters online.

#21 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

Have you ever used the Serpa holster? I like the look and feel but question the security. Can it rattle out or otherwise slip out? I am still leaning towards IWB. I like the concealment and security.

And to answer your question about the reflective belt. I like to call it a bullseye for terrorists. We are required to wear them when ever in a "safe" area so that our own people don't run us over.

Never seen that one work yet, but yet, a good thought in theory. :lol3:

#22 ·
scuba_steve said:
Have you ever used the Serpa holster? I like the look and feel but question the security. Can it rattle out or otherwise slip out? I am still leaning towards IWB. I like the concealment and security.
They are extremely secure. I took my IWB holster with my gun in it and turn it upside down, shook it vigorously and eventually it fell out (loaded mag for more weight) - and I have mine set pretty tight. The SERPA locks in and WILL NOT come out without pressing the button. I love it and it is far more comfortable than IWB.

#23 ·
GeneticsDave said:
scuba_steve said:
They are extremely secure. I took my IWB holster with my gun in it and turn it upside down, shook it vigorously and eventually it fell out (loaded mag for more weight) - and I have mine set pretty tight. The SERPA locks in and WILL NOT come out without pressing the button. I love it and it is far more comfortable than IWB.
Sweet, I will take a peek!

#25 ·
scuba_steve said:
BTW< What holtsers are you and your wife using?
Dave was correct, both are Level 2 Sepras. I normally carry mine on the paddle attachment, but sometimes the thigh platform.

The thigh rig had a spare mag and a SureFire flashlight.

scuba_steve said:
Another BTW, active, reserve or guard.
I am in the Army Reserve, but will be active next month. :patriot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.