PETA at it again

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

PETA at it again

Postby NormanXDm » Sat 05 Jun 2010 6:37 pm

With my budding little holster business, I've become a frequent visitor to the Tandy store on State Street - about 1100 South. Nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

I ran down today to pick up some supplies, and found the place boarded up, and what appeared to be smoke covered windows. The owner of the pawn shop next door was out on his sidewalk, so I asked him what happened. He frowned and said "PETA."

I went to the Tandy store in West Valley, and the owner there said that someone had broken into the SLC store (his store was unharmed) and spread "an accelerant" up and down the aisles, especially over where they store their leather.

This kind of stuff just makes my head want to explode - I do not understand what the activists think they are proving by these cowardly actions. They aren't hurting Tandy, they aren't hurting Herman Oak (tannery), they are hurting the franchise owners. In fact, I strongly suspect that the actual perps couldn't give a rat's [bum] about animals, and just want an excuse to justify their deviant social behavior.

The store will reopen - probably next week. I'd encourage everyone who's ever had a hankering to try their hand at leather to pay them a visit and give them some business. We can't let the cowards win.

Please forgive the rant - this has really got me upset...
"Be nice. Everyone you meet is facing a hard battle." - Marjorie P. Hinckley
NormanXDm
Sniper

Re: PETA at it again

Postby hyrax » Sat 05 Jun 2010 6:58 pm

Do they not realize that all that leather has to be replaced? These kids don't think things through very well.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

THE ORACLE GROUP
Training the best
hyrax
Sharp Shooter

Postby PorterN » Sat 05 Jun 2010 7:01 pm

There was a "young animal rights activist", vegetarian PETA supporter in my sophomore Math class. She had PETA bumperstickers all over all of her binders and notebooks that said 'I don't eat my FRIENDS' and showed a picture of a bunny, a squirrel, a deer, a songbird, a raccoon, and a few other USUALLY-non-edible furry creatures of the forest. I'm all for the humane treatment of animals, ie: violent abuse of housepets, hoarding pets, cutting - stabbing - or otherwise torturing livestock or what have you, BUT!!!!! I'm also a firm believer in God and that He created this world and everything in it for our benefit and health. We should guard our natural and living resources, and not treat them poorly, but they are still here to fulfill the measure of their creation by providing us meat, milk, eggs, clothing, etc. I am in the market for a good leather :shock: yep, LEATHER :roll: shoulder holster if anyone knows a good style/brand/etc.

PETA is way out of line - while they may say they're a non-violent group of picketers, everyone knows their words are the words that bring out the senseless destruction of property via fires and spray paints and even explosions. If PETA could go back in time, they would probably have attacked Native American Indians for their 'cruelty' to buffalo which provided them EVERYTHING from food, to clothes, to shelter and tools!

On the slightly humorous side, My wife and I saw an advertisement banner online for PETA. it had a little baby chick on it with a quote bubble saying "I am not a nugget!" we still :ROFL: about it! of course baby chicks aren't nuggets.... yet?

I too apologize for my rant, but I am secretly a member of a different PETA. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals :dunno:
PorterN
Marksman

Postby rufus » Sat 05 Jun 2010 7:35 pm

Unfortunately, this is nothing new at the state street store. Went in there about five years ago and most of the front windows were broken out. Just looked at the woman behind the counter, she just looked up with one word, "PETA". It's a bit outta my way, but I always go to that store.
rufus
Marksman

Postby Jarubla » Sat 05 Jun 2010 7:53 pm

That stinks! I often joke about PETA, but when they do something idiotic it just reinforces the fact that they are criminal at their core.

I am a member of the 'eating tasty animals':

-Jay
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends
Jarubla
Sharp Shooter

Postby Sam Fidler » Sat 05 Jun 2010 8:11 pm

NormanXDm wrote:With my budding little holster business, I've become a frequent visitor to the Tandy store on State Street - about 1100 South. Nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

I will second that! I have always had wonderful experiences in that store. It's such a shame to see social deviants target such wonderful people. :dunno:
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby rdoggsilva » Sat 05 Jun 2010 11:49 pm

I also buy most of my leather and supplies from the State St. store. It is a shame these college going punks have nothing better to do like getting a job. Not living off mom and dad. :dunno:
John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you
rdoggsilva
Sniper

Postby Cinhil » Sun 06 Jun 2010 1:26 am

I think it a shame That the government really does nothing about these homegrown terrorists. That's right, PETA is a terrorist organization and they ought to be treated the same as any other group the government tries to stop from committing crimes against the citizenry and the country. As has been stated; I am all for fairly treating the resources, ie...animals, plants etc which God has placed upon the earth for our use, but they are resources to be used for our benefit both as food and clothing, as well as many other uses. This organization cares as much for animals as the Humane Society which was responsible for several hundred animals drowned and killed in various ways, and then abandoned outside of several cities last year. The difference here is that these people do so in a deliberate way to instill fear (a terrorist threat--ie...against the law), to destroy businesses (which are insured against loss), and to harass others and destroy property. They are very much aware that more animals will be slaughtered to be able to refurnish the needs of the store, they will then use this as a way to further there cause in many other ways, ways similar to what Hitler did, to what MLK did to further his cause, and what other world leaders and dictators have done for eons in order to facilitate their needs while duping those whom they desire to control and destroy. They are simply bad, terroristic and an evil stain on our land, we would be better served if they were all locked up.

Anyhow, that is my take on this evil group.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby veyec » Sun 06 Jun 2010 6:38 am

Cinhil wrote:I think it a shame That the government really does nothing about these homegrown terrorists. That's right, PETA is a terrorist organization and they ought to be treated the same as any other group the government tries to stop from committing crimes against the citizenry and the country.

+1!!!
Guns? Oh yeah, I have a few!

My name is Vic. Starts with a V and ends with a C. There is an eye in the middle.

http://www.facebook.com/victor.baugh
veyec
Expert Marksman

Postby RanzITman » Sun 06 Jun 2010 8:56 am

This just chaps me on both sides :evil: I don't have the time to do as much leather work as I'd like but when I do I always use that store for supplies and tools. They are great people and it's always a pleasure to shop at such a "no nonsense" and knowledgeable place. You can bet I’ll be there when they open again to help support the recovery.

I could go on for hours about the type of loon that makes up a PETA member but I’m sure that anyone with a single practical bone in their body already knows any point that I could make here. :disgusted:
RanzITman
RanzITman
Expert Marksman

Postby divegeek » Sun 06 Jun 2010 11:42 am

RanzITman wrote:I could go on for hours about the type of loon that makes up a PETA member but I’m sure that anyone with a single practical bone in their body already knows any point that I could make here.

I know a number of very reasonable people who are members of PETA, and I think they represent the norm for the organization, not the extremists who vandalize, throw red paint on people wearing fur, etc. Let's not paint with an overly broad brush here.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby RanzITman » Sun 06 Jun 2010 12:15 pm

divegeek wrote:I know a number of very reasonable people who are members of PETA, and I think they represent the norm for the organization, not the extremists who vandalize, throw red paint on people wearing fur, etc. Let's not paint with an overly broad brush here.

You are right. I should have said "some PETA members". There are extremist in almost any organization and I should not apply extremism to an entire group. However; I do not understand or agree with their premise. Certainly I am against cruelty to animals but to take them out of the food chain is a foreign concept to me.:eat:
RanzITman
RanzITman
Expert Marksman

Postby jeeper » Sun 06 Jun 2010 7:30 pm

THEM: Do you know what they do to those poor animals?

ME: No, but it's delicious!
"When I held that gun in my hand I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he is holding a gun."- Homer Simpson
jeeper
Marksman

Postby jeeper » Sun 06 Jun 2010 7:31 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like animals. I just like to eat them more.
"When I held that gun in my hand I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he is holding a gun."- Homer Simpson
jeeper
Marksman

Postby Nuttycomputer » Mon 07 Jun 2010 5:35 am

divegeek wrote:
RanzITman wrote:I could go on for hours about the type of loon that makes up a PETA member but I’m sure that anyone with a single practical bone in their body already knows any point that I could make here.

I know a number of very reasonable people who are members of PETA, and I think they represent the norm for the organization, not the extremists who vandalize, throw red paint on people wearing fur, etc. Let's not paint with an overly broad brush here.

Specifically I doubt this was done by PETA. More likely it was done by members of the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) who encourage the destruction of property as stated in their Creed:

"The Animal Liberation Front (ALF) carries out direct action against animal abuse in the form of rescuing animals and causing financial loss to animal exploiters, usually through the damage and destruction of property."

ALF members are usually members of PETA. Essentially the extreme of the extreme. So the difference between the ALF and PETA is a legally important one but doesn't appear to be much of a distinction in real life as PETA tends to fund and support ALF in way of legal defense fund contributions. PETA also has made remarks (based on the wikipedia page) essentially stating that PETA is the "thinkers" and ALF is the "doers" and that both are required to bring about real change.
Jay (West Jordan)
Nuttycomputer
Expert Marksman

Next

Return to Chit Chat