Utah Guns Forum banner

2016 Realworld PDS Schedule

31K views 57 replies 10 participants last post by  jfwright1955 
#1 ·
We are very excited to hit the range this year! 2016 schedule is open for registration: http://www.realworldpds.com/Class-Information.html

First class of the year is our most popular: Next Step Defensive Pistol on March 19, 2016. Time to dust off the gear if you haven't already! ;)

Please shoot me a PM with any questions!

#27 ·
Roach said:
Yikes and argh, I won't be able to make it. I have a family wedding reception that day so duty calls.

Especially argh as last year's rifle class was definitely tied for first in Best Classes Ever category.

I'll miss you all. Shoot well, learn a lot, and be safe.

Bill
Well, that's awfully inconsiderate for someone to plan a wedding on a firearms training day! :ROFL:

We'll lob a few rounds down range for you. Knowing you you'll be running through AR malfunction drills in your head during the reception. :wink:

#29 ·
Aad Geordie said:
Well, If Bill's not coming we need to borrow his rifle so that we can throw it down on the ground during the transition-to-pistol drill
:taz:

We'll miss you Bill!
I was thinking the same thing! :spit:

#30 ·
Snurd said:
MichaelD said:
I'll be there too, Geoff, so you won't be the only newbie.

Side note, can anyone recommend a good AR sling?
I've been watching a number of videos on the Savvy Sniper sling. I'm hoping to get one at some point. It's definitely not cheap, but it has some cool features.
I've kinda looked a bit at those myself. But I feel like I'm over thinking all the possibilities. I mostly want one that goes al the way around me :crown:

I want to do the rifle class but probably not a good idea til I at least get this boot off my foot and get some more healing time.

#31 ·
Hey John, do you remember, at last year's rifle class, the way that Gonzalo showed us to sling the rifle over the back without having to raise the right arm so high over the head? It was a lot easier on my old shoulder muscles but I can't remember the technique now (I know-I should have been practicing!). You may not have noticed since you were using a single point sling. For a two-pointer (for me anyway) it worked very well.

Gonzalo--you out there?

Geoff.

#32 ·
Sorry, Geoff, I don't. I bet Brant and/or Mark will as I know they made mention of it while observing Gonzalo. Given my Magpul sling can be converted from single-point to two-point, and vise versa, in seconds I'll likely experiment a little more this time so I'll be eager to watch and learn as well.

#33 ·
Guys, Bad news. We need to cancel our class. I noticed we were not on the PMAA schedule. I called to verify with Brant and apparently Dave had OK'd the date tomorrow, but it was already given to the Utah Polite Society, who has had the 1st Saturday of each month reserved there for the past 7 years.

We are terribly sorry about learning this news such short notice. We will offer refunds and a discount on future classes to try and make up for this scheduling error. Please call each other if you have #s so we can make sure everyone gets this information. I will send emails next.

Mark

#34 ·
moyler said:
Guys, Bad news. We need to cancel our class. I noticed we were not on the PMAA schedule. I called to verify with Brant and apparently Dave had OK'd the date tomorrow, but it was already given to the Utah Polite Society, who has had the 1st Saturday of each month reserved there for the past 7 years.

We are terribly sorry about learning this news such short notice. We will offer refunds and a discount on future classes to try and make up for this scheduling error. Please call each other if you have #s so we can make sure everyone gets this information. I will send emails next.

Mark
I got a voicemail from Brant earlier to relay the bad news. Too bad. But, stuff happens. Just reschedule the class for a bright and sunny day over 70 degree day so I can try to entice Linda to join us. :wink:

If the Utah Polite Society has the range scheduled might they not be polite enough to let us join them for some fun? Wouldn't be polite to refuse us, right? :ROFL:

See you the week after (May 21) for the Advanced Pistol class.

#36 ·
I feel really bad for Mark & Brant-they must be under some pressure to get the word out to everyone as I expect that not all are daily visitors to this forum. Hopefully the emails get the job done.
I'm wondering how Dave-the-range-guy managed to not see two things in the same box on his calendar-that sounds like a bit of an oops :oops:
The range should give Mark and Brant a free day to compensate.

I'd just finished packing all my gear too-was really looking forward to this one. I expect the range is booked out for Saturdays through the year now. I'd forego one of the pistol classes for a rifle class if there's one that's maybe not very well booked yet. I'd take a day's vacation to do one on a weekday but I realize that's not an option for everyone :(

Ah well, all this can be discussed when the dust settles-for right now I just hope that mark and Brant can get hold of everyone and don't have to go sit at the gate tomorrow morning.

One bit of good news is that I got info from Gonzalo on the sling technique-I'll post it later.

Geoff.

#37 ·
Well, my bags are packed and magazines loaded anyway so I'm heading to the WSA range this morning to burn off some ammo instead. :D

Along with my AR M&P 15 and M&P 15-22 I'll take along my full-size M&P's including .40S&W, 9mm and .357 Sig flavors. For good measure I'll also take along my M&P R8 .357 Mag. revolver. That should make me feel better about the class being cancelled. :thumbsup:

#38 ·
MichaelD said:
Bummer. Any chance of having the class rescheduled this year?
Thanks for understanding. Fortunately we were able to get ahold of all our shooters.

The next rifle class is August 20. Those that paid already and want to roll over the tuitions that is fine. Please contact me if you would prefer a refund. The August 20 class was scheduled as Fighting Rifle II, but class curricula will be modified as needed for all participants.

#39 ·
moyler said:
MichaelD said:
Bummer. Any chance of having the class rescheduled this year?
Thanks for understanding. Fortunately we were able to get ahold of all our shooters.

The next rifle class is August 20. Those that paid already and want to roll over the tuitions that is fine. Please contact me if you would prefer a refund. The August 20 class was scheduled as Fighting Rifle II, but class curricula will be modified as needed for all participants.
Count me in for the hybrid classes I + II on August 20! :thumbsup:

#41 ·
Other than the usual suspects (Bill, Geoff, et al) who else is attending Mark and Brant's Advanced Defensive Pistol class tomorrow (May 21, 2106)?

#45 ·
I'm planning on being there. :thumbsup:

#47 ·
Usual time from what I gather. Glad you'll be able to make it. :thumbsup:

#48 ·
I've been meaning to post, for some time, a comment on the Integrated Knife and Handgun class held on June 25th.

I was a little reticent to sign up for this class at first. I don't particularly enjoy the little hand-to-hand segments we do at the pistol classes, since my old arthritic hands give me some grief, but I always seem to learn something that I'm glad to know! (funny how training does that, eh?). I also was aware that I'm regularly carrying a knife with no knowledge whatsoever on using it for anything other than benign purposes and thought that at least I might learn how to hold it :roll: So, in the end, I figured I'd give it a go-plus I wanted to support what was a new class on the calendar.

As it turned out, there were only two of us (jfwright1955 & myself) at the class-two old geezers trying to learn how to knife fight-you could feel the jokes being written in real-time! Instructor Brant was flying solo this day which was probably just as well, given the low attendance, but nonetheless John & I benefitted from very close attention throughout the day.

This was a really useful class and I hope that Brant and Mark are not too disappointed in the response that they won't consider putting it on again. I learned a lot, didn't feel compelled to do anything that I felt uncomfortable with, learned some great tips outside of just the knife stuff, added several things to the "should practice this at home" list-plus we still got to expend several magazines of pistol ammo during the day during the transition drills :D

Of course it was a lot of fun anyway, spending the day with these two scoundrels-good humor and banter abounded to break up the seriousness of the intrinsic subject matter-on a beautiful day of perfect weather in the mountains.

If this class is on the calendar again next year I hope that these comments may provide some encouragement to anyone who is thinking about signing up.

Geoff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.