Utah Guns Forum banner

Next Step Defensive Pistol - March 15, 2014

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Aad Geordie 
#1 ·
There is a Next Step Defensive Pistol class on March 15, 2014 @ 9:00am at the PMAA range. Directions, information, class requirements and registration links are here: http://www.realworldpds.com/ClassInformation.html

This course is designed to take a new concealed firearm permit holders, or those new to pistols to the next level of competency with their defensive firearm. We cover marksmanship fundamentals, defensive gun handling and retention, drawing and shooting from concealment, malfunction drills and re-loads, combat accuracy and environmental awareness. We train real world shooting scenarios, and introduce moving while shooting, shooting from different positions, as well as cornering and shoot/no-shoot drills, and more. This is also a great class for more experienced shooters to maintain and hone your skills.

Please dress in layers appropriate to the weather. Please pack a lunch, or fast food is 15 minutes away in Park City.

Returning Next Step students get in for half price. PM me with any questions.

Mark

See less See more
#3 ·
I hope to be able to make it to this and the Advanced class as well!

#4 ·
Ah, springtime is near, and Mark's classes are starting! Life is good.

I'm a continuing student of Mark, and must say this class is a "must take" for anyone who carries. It is especially beneficial for the new concealed carry person, but also any experienced shooter with an open mind can learn a Lot from it.

I'm in!

Bill in Salt Lake

#7 ·
I signed up some time ago and am looking forward to taking the class again. I can always tell spring's right around the corner when I know the early spring flowers are just weeks away from pushing up through the soil and Mark holds his first class of the season!

#10 ·
I had an amazing day :crown:

Despite my obvious lack of experience, skill (and numerous other desirable attributes!), I believe I learned an incredible amount of "stuff"-though that probably represents only 10% of what was presented. I can see why folks come back and do this course repeatedly-hopefully I can take another 10% bite (or better!) at a future one.

The instruction, from Mark and Brant, was excellent-and remarkably well tailored to each participant. The group were incredibly supportive and great fun to be around with plenty of light-hearted banter, which makes me feel at home, and appropriate seriousness regarding the subject matter. I think I learned something from every one of the other participants (but I might be open to offers to keep quiet about them :ROFL: )

Great day at the range-wish I could have stayed later at the end to hang out some more with you guys! Next time :D

Cheers,
Geoff.

#11 ·
As usual, a great class taught by Mark and Brant. It doesn't matter how many times I take their next steps class--or any of their classes for that matter--I always get a lot out of them and always learn something new. If nothing else it gets me back to practicing the basics so as not to let bad habits creep in. It doesn't matter how seasoned of a shooter you are, if you forget or become lax with the basics it will negatively impact your abilities and performance.

Besides, these classes are always a good chance to catch up with my good buddy and team mate, Bill (Roach), to swap some war stories, discuss new or upcoming purchases, and train together. Plus, it's good to catch up with other friends from UCC and those who found the training via Google or other means.

One of my takeaways from the day was using my M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. with a Trijicon RMR02 red dot (reviewed in this thread) in tactical situations. While I've put probably 2,000 rounds through this combination in static practice, it's much more difficult to use in tactical situations; namely acquiring targets while on the move. For the remainder of the days' training I reverted back to my steadfast M&P full-size fitted with Truglo TFO sights, which is much easier and quicker to acquire targets while moving. And, whereas the full-size is my primary carry, I like to get as much dynamic training time in with it as I can to remain proficient.

The upside to my takeaway with the Pro C.O.R.E. is it's just another good excuse for me to want to take Mark and Brant's upcoming Advance Pistol Class coming up April 19 so I can give it some more dynamic training time. :thumbsup:

One thing I'll say to anyone who has invested in firearms but has not invested in taking dynamic situational training, I'd highly suggest you sign up for these types of classes whether it's from Mark and Brant or others. It's one thing to go to the range lobbing rounds at a static target or even competitions whereby you're not dealing with threats, but it's something completely different in dynamic situations when adrenalin-pumping scenarios are introduced. Not only do these types of classes help control the adrenaline and tunnel vision by learning how to break their grip to "remain in the game", they also reinforce muscle memory so you're much more apt to remain fluid and in control of a bad situation if it ever does occur.

Dynamic training is not like riding a bike whereby you learn it once and it's forever embedded in your mind. You have to periodically re-take the same training to keep any newly learned skills fresh in your mind as well as keeping the skills you've already learned from previous or other training well-honed. In my mind if you own a firearm and you haven't taken any formal training you're much more apt to freeze in a bad situation or make irreversible mistakes that could change your life forever or even worse.

#14 ·
It was an awesome day at the range. Thanks Mark and Brant.

Good training: Mark and Brant make it work for each individual, but also make us a team supporting each other.

Good people: A special bonding comes with folks who train like this together. It was great to meet and spend the day with you all, and sharing the rush of shooting the 360 and movement drills.

John: Thanks for letting put some rounds out using your new Trijicon. Thank$ a lot. Just wait until Advanced Pistol class on April 19th to see . . . . hint- Optics on my (sparexxxxx alternate Model 19 Glock). I allways shoot better when you are there, thanks for the good times!

I am a repeat attendee ( and often a learner, if I keep an open mind and pay attention ) of Mark's classes, and highly recommend them to anyone who chooses to carry. Being able to move, drawing from conceal, practice shooting with alternate grips, utilizing a hot range, and 360 degree scenarios, plus Tueller, make a huge difference in helping build confidence.

See you in April

#15 ·
Roach said:
John: Thanks for letting put some rounds out using your new Trijicon. Thank$ a lot. Just wait until Advanced Pistol class on April 19th to see . . . . hint- Optics on my (sparexxxxx alternate Model 19 Glock).
Look forward to seeing your new setup, Bill. I don't imagine it took a lot of arm-twisting for you to buy the optics so you can't blame me. :wink:

See you and the other fine folks on April 19 with your 19! :thumbsup:

#16 ·
John and Bill-you guys are a riot ;-)

I learned a lot just watching and being around you (and everyone else there). I hope I get to hang out with you again but I think I'll need to do at least another three or four of the Next Steps (and practice a whole bunch) before I'm ready for anything like "Advanced"! :nilly:

Do you know if anyone told the tall young guy, Adam, about this site? I think he was the only one there who had come to know about the course via other means. I meant to give him the URL but didn't get a chance before I had to leave.

Cheers,
Geoff.

#17 ·
Aad Geordie said:
John and Bill-you guys are a riot ;-)

I learned a lot just watching and being around you (and everyone else there). I hope I get to hang out with you again but I think I'll need to do at least another three or four of the Next Steps (and practice a whole bunch) before I'm ready for anything like "Advanced"! :nilly:

Cheers,
Geoff.
Bill and I have certainly developed a good friendship over the years taking these classes together. I think it's really helped us both pick up our games in regards to our individual skills what with the bantering and slight competitiveness and egging on that takes place. Knowing each other as well as we do really came into play during a rifle class last year while working in teams. Because of knowing each other as well as we do we were able to work quite fluidly together during the exercises.

And, as you can tell, if one of us buys a "new toy" that's like throwing down the gauntlet to the other one as a challenge. :lol:

As far as whether to take the advanced class or not, my recommendation is to go ahead and take it for a few reasons:
1) We do many of the same exercises we did in this class, just bumped up a notch;​
2) New exercises are introduced that build on these exercises;​
3) Whereas this class is still fresh in your mind it'll be a natural lead-in to the advanced class; and,​
4) Most importantly, you'll have Bill, Michael, myself, and others who were in the next steps class there as your support group.​

Just remember, in any of Mark's classes he'll always emphasis to just do things at your own pace; it's more about learning the fundamentals than it is about how fast you can get through an exercise. He'll never ask you do to something you're not comfortable with. He'll just work in some elements into the advanced exercises that introduces the feel of adrenaline is all.

So, what are you waiting for, Geoff! You're a "well aad Geordie" after all, so go ahead and sign up! :wink:

#18 ·
Thanks John :)
I think I'll talk to Mark about it. The last thing I'd want to do is slow things down for everyone else. If the format is similar to the last one I guess I can just sit out any part that was beyond my current capabilities and not get in the way.

Yes, I'm definitely "well aad"! We'll see if the aad dog can 'larn' some new tricks eh, hinny! :beat:

Geoff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.