Glock Gen 4 G29

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Glock Gen 4 G29

Postby tapehoser » Wed 01 Feb 2017 8:55 am

So.....I've been an unabashed Springfield XD fan since I got my CFP a long time ago. I've owned no less than 7 XDs and have loved every one of them. However, I've changed so many times because my preferences change as I age. I used to conceal a behemoth XD tactical, if you can believe that.

Anyhoo....I've never shot a Glock. Ever.

Until yesterday.

I met a seller at The Armory in Sandy yesterday. I have long been enamored of the 10mm round and wanted to shoot something compact. So a kind gentleman in Lehi offered to meet me. I paid the range fee and purchased some 10mm ammo and shot about 35 rounds through his Gen 4 Glock 29.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Glock HATER, per se, but they are fairly ugly and I mistakenly let someone's misguided opinion affect my own opinion for a long time.

Target was set at 7 yards. 1st normal, standing shot - dead center. Grouping was really nice. Then I fired a carefully aimed grouping through my XDS 45 at another target. The Glock grouping was twice as small. If the XD group was 8 inches, the Glock was 4.

Dang.

Two things stood out immediately. 1. The XDS HURTS MY HANDS. The Glock was smooth and light, even in 10mm. The grip filled my hand and was very comfortable to shoot. I even shot both pistols at the same time...10mm in the left and XDS in the right. Similar recoil, but the Glock didn't hurt me.

2. Sight picture. The Glock sight picture made a GIANT difference in how I shot. Something about that little half-square and a single dot REALLY spoke to me. MUCH easier to line up a shot vs. the 3-dot sight picture of the XD.

Well, I'm sold.

Anyone wanna buy an XDS 45 with a Crimson Trace laser grip and 6 magazines? :crown:
tapehoser
Posse

Re: Glock Gen 4 G29

Postby Snurd » Wed 01 Feb 2017 9:06 am

tapehoser wrote:So.....I've been an unabashed Springfield XD fan since I got my CFP a long time ago. I've owned no less than 7 XDs and have loved every one of them. However, I've changed so many times because my preferences change as I age. I used to conceal a behemoth XD tactical, if you can believe that.

Anyhoo....I've never shot a Glock. Ever.

Until yesterday.

I met a seller at The Armory in Sandy yesterday. I have long been enamored of the 10mm round and wanted to shoot something compact. So a kind gentleman in Lehi offered to meet me. I paid the range fee and purchased some 10mm ammo and shot about 35 rounds through his Gen 4 Glock 29.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Glock HATER, per se, but they are fairly ugly and I mistakenly let someone's misguided opinion affect my own opinion for a long time.

Target was set at 7 yards. 1st normal, standing shot - dead center. Grouping was really nice. Then I fired a carefully aimed grouping through my XDS 45 at another target. The Glock grouping was twice as small. If the XD group was 8 inches, the Glock was 4.

Dang.

Two things stood out immediately. 1. The XDS HURTS MY HANDS. The Glock was smooth and light, even in 10mm. The grip filled my hand and was very comfortable to shoot. I even shot both pistols at the same time...10mm in the left and XDS in the right. Similar recoil, but the Glock didn't hurt me.

2. Sight picture. The Glock sight picture made a GIANT difference in how I shot. Something about that little half-square and a single dot REALLY spoke to me. MUCH easier to line up a shot vs. the 3-dot sight picture of the XD.

Well, I'm sold.

Anyone wanna buy an XDS 45 with a Crimson Trace laser grip and 6 magazines? :crown:

HA! Welcome to the Glock crowd. :D
Having an XDS in 9mm, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want one in .45. The 9mm doesn't hurt at all to shoot, but it's small. I would imagine the recoil is fairly stiff.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby tapehoser » Wed 01 Feb 2017 9:34 am

To be fair, my hands are really big. That small XDS grip just hurts. If someone had smaller hands, I could see it not hurting at all. If it fills your hand, IMO, it shouldn't hurt.

Unless you're shooting 45-70 out of a pistol. :mrgreen:
tapehoser
Posse

Postby Snurd » Wed 01 Feb 2017 9:38 am

I found the grip texture to be too rough. I bought some rubber Talon Grips for it and it made a huge difference.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: Glock Gen 4 G29 *updated*

Postby tapehoser » Mon 20 Mar 2017 12:24 pm

Target.jpg
Target.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 1338 times

I went to the range last week and was able to get a bunch of lead thrown around. It was amazing. Standing as still as I could, this was the grouping I got at 21 feet....1.6".

I love, love, love this gun. I have not-necessarily-hated Glocks for a lot of years. I am able to be very accurate with this gun and the felt recoil is easier on my hands than my XDs 45.
tapehoser
Posse

Postby Snurd » Mon 20 Mar 2017 2:28 pm

Nice shooting. :thumbsup: Glocks are fun. I can see why it would be easier on your hands than an XDS .45. That's a thin gun for a .45.

Sent from my iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Return to Firearms Reviews