Utah Guns Forum banner

I have been assimilated

17K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  climbskirun 
#1 ·
About 6 months ago I was in the market for a new pistol. Things I wanted in the gun:

9mm so I could shoot more on a limited budget
More concealable then my full sized XD
I wanted a full size(ish) gun so that I could go to training with it.
I wanted a gun with lots of aftermarket support

Eventually my search led me to a Glock 19. I had looked at Glocks before, but never really liked the feel. The finger bump on the 19 had always landed right in the middle of my finger, and I had always bought into the grip angle hype. When I picked up the gen 4 Glock 19, I realized I had been wrong. I had been very, very wrong. So after 4 months on order, I finally got my gun about two months ago. I waited until now to write a review because I wanted to get a good number of rounds through it, and run it through Moyler's next step class so that I could get a good feel for the gun.

I want to start by commenting on the ejection pattern. I have read lots of reviews on the internet about newer Glocks sending brass strait back in your face, so this is something that I have been worried about. I found that the only time I have gotten brass in the face was shooting Independence ammo. I have shot a bunch of other ammo types and not had a problem. I shot a case of blazer brass during Moyler's class, and only had 2 or 3 rounds land on the brim of my hat. I feel safe saying that the brass to the face is really not a problem with my gun. That said, Apex is coming out with an extractor that is suppose to fix the problem completely, and I will be getting it to be on the safe side.

Next I want to talk about the grip angle. I think this 'problem' with Glocks is way overblown. I found that after 10 minuets of practice, the gun pointed more naturally for me then any gun I have ever handled. I like that the angle brings the bore more in line with my fore arm, and so brings the recoil more strait back. Along with the grip angle is the bore axis. I have shot lots of 9mm's before, and the combination of those 2 things make the Glock the most controllable of any of them. The recoil seems to come strait back into my chest and fore arms, making follow up shot easier.

I love the Gen 4 grip. It has a really aggressive texture that keeps the gun in place really well, even with wet hands. It strikes a good balance though, as the grip is not so aggressive that it chews up your hands. Like I said, I shot an all day class with it, and it was comfortable to shoot all day. I am glad that I wear and undershirt when I carry, because I am fairly sure that it would sand off any extra fat you had.

The changeable back-straps are not really an issue for me. I like the middle one, but I am sure if I had bigger (or smaller) hands they would make a big difference.

When I first got the gun, the trigger was awful. I really hated it. However as I have shot it more, the trigger has smoothed out a lot. My plan is to get to a thousand rounds and then re-evaluate it, but if it continues to smooth out, I don't think I will have to do anything to it.

So far the only thing I have changed out is the sights. I really hate Glock stock sights. So I got a pair of trijicons with a green front and yellow rear. I really like them. The only thing I would change is that I wish the front site had a little color on it to make it stand out during the day. I have considered adding some, but I am fairly sure my wife would make fun of me if I want to borrow her nail polish to use on my gun....

I am about 600 rounds into this gun and so far it has run like a champ (knock on wood)

I have to say that I am more then pleased with this gun. It shoots great, it carrys great, and is really everything I hoped it would be. I didn't start off as a Glock fanboy, but I think I might be turning into one. Oh well, welcome to the Glock collective :mrgreen:

See less See more
#27 ·
Hawk87 said:
"standing up* My name is Dexter, and I am addicted to Glocks (and associated cool-aid), AND I LIKE IT. :mrgreen:
But are you willing to do whatever it takes to control this addiction and be in control of your life instead of letting the Glock's and Kool-aid control you? If you are not, you are doomed to failure! Without indicating that you want to change you're just "bragging"!

#28 ·
And because you can't handle your addiction, I suggest that the best thing for you is to let me hold onto your Glocks until such a time as you have regained control over your dark side koolaid problem. (To be determined by me of course!)

#29 ·
Jesse 8 said:
And because you can't handle your addiction, I suggest that the best thing for you is to let me hold onto your Glocks until such a time as you have regained control over your dark side koolaid problem. (To be determined by me of course!)
My precious, you cannot has it!

#32 ·
JoeSparky said:
So is Hawk87 calling Jesse 8 "My Precious"? That is funny there!
He was joking about taking my Glock...

In all seriousness though, I am enjoying this gun, but I want to reach a thousand rounds before I start seriously recommending it to others.

#34 ·
Hawk87 said:
JoeSparky said:
So is Hawk87 calling Jesse 8 "My Precious"? That is funny there!
He was joking about taking my Glock...

In all seriousness though, I am enjoying this gun, but I want to reach a thousand rounds before I start seriously recommending it to others.
yep I knew but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to not take the intended conclusion when the humor attempt was available!

#35 ·
jktseug said:
:lol:
PrimarchBentley said:
gongo said:
Yeah, I used to think it was my fault, then I shot a CZ 75 SP-01... and fell in love. A much heavier gun than any Glock, that's for sure, but I was just making a single ragged hole out of the bulls at 10+ yards. I shoot well with a Beretta 92FS too.
Different guns suit different people I guess.
Lots of people like light-weight polymer guns.
Maybe I'm not gripping tightly or something but I tend to prefer larger, heavier, metal guns.
+1

A Glock just isn't a "fit" for me. But a CZ-75 is heaven in my hand (especially when I picked up my first gen). And I feel better with my daily CC being all-steel (Polish P-64), putting up with her disadvantages for reliability and the security of mind she gives me...
I really like my CZ-SP01, it does feel very comfortable... but I am confused, what disadvantage does the CZ-75 give you? Other than being heavy I can't imagine any...
Disadvantages are w/ my daily CC, the P-64 mentioned. Those are mostly in terms of low round count in magazine, stopping power of 9x18mm Makarov (vs. 9x19mm), etc.

#36 ·
Oh ok. That makes a little more sense. I am still getting comfortable with it but am using my sp01 as my edc.

#37 ·
jktseug said:
Oh ok. That makes a little more sense. I am still getting comfortable with it but am using my sp01 as my edc.
I have one of those. Great little shooters. It was replaced by a G30 for edc purposes, but I occasionally carry it as a bug.

#38 ·
Jesse 8 said:
Soooo...found did you shoot it this weekend? It ain't gonna get that round count by itself
Well I just went shooting today. I am up to 700 rounds. I don't think I will hit 1000 until Mark's class in August.

I detail striped my frame, and found all sorts of junk in where the extractor sits, I think that I am going to clean that area out every 500-1000 rounds or so. Its just so easy to do, there is no reason not to.

I did find another type of ammo that my gun doesn't like today. The Remington green box ammo. My gun let me know that it doesn't like that ammo by sending so empty brass back in my face. It happened about once a mag, but it is still annoying. I had one that would have gone strait down my throat if my mouth had been open, that was fun.

#39 ·
Hawk87 said:
Jesse 8 said:
Soooo...found did you shoot it this weekend? It ain't gonna get that round count by itself
Well I just went shooting today. I am up to 700 rounds. I don't think I will hit 1000 until Mark's class in August.

I detail striped my frame, and found all sorts of junk in where the extractor sits, I think that I am going to clean that area out every 500-1000 rounds or so. Its just so easy to do, there is no reason not to.

I did find another type of ammo that my gun doesn't like today. The Remington green box ammo. My gun let me know that it doesn't like that ammo by sending so empty brass back in my face. It happened about once a mag, but it is still annoying. I had one that would have gone strait down my throat if my mouth had been open, that was fun.
Yeah, don't shoot with your warface on, you might chip a tooth! :)

#41 ·
Thought I would post an update. I passed the 1000 round mark. The trigger has smoothed out nicely, and is not bad at all. I ended up ordering a new OEM extractor from midway. This has cleared up the ejection problems I was having (at least it has so far). I am pretty satisfied with how it is running. I might continue posting updates if anything significant happens, but I am very satisfied with this gun and doubt anything worth reporting will crop up.

On a side note, I ended up painting the front site a bright orange (around the tritium dot). This really helped with picking up the front site at speed, I really noticed the difference (for me at least) at Marks advanced defensive pistol class. I kind of wish I had gone with some different sights to start with, but these seem to be working just fine with my modifications.

#43 ·
Snurd said:
I was given a sweet little sight a while back for the G34 that resembles what you did. I like it a lot. I had Crusader install it.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewt ... &hilit=G34

(Sent from iSnurd)
That's kind of what I was going for. I think when I buy my next gun, whichever ends up being my carry gun will get a set of those sites.

#44 ·
Glocks are great. I like my G23 3rd gen a lot, and I shot a 250 out of 250 qualification in an Strategic Tactical Group class recently using that gun. I feel like my Glock and M&P are interchangeable. I shoot well with both, but I like some of the features on my M&P a little better. For me the Glock is a "work gun" that I'll carry whenever working an armed security gig. It is so common in that role that it doesn't raise an eyebrow with anyone.

Glad you like your new gun!

#45 ·
Well, its been about a year since I got this gun, so I thought I would post an update.

I am over 2000 rounds now (not sure how far over), and my gun has run almost flawlessly. I did have a couple light strikes at a class a couple weeks ago. I was using some cheap ammo though, so I can't really tell if it was the gun or the rounds. The light strikes were in the middle of drills, and so the malfunction was cleared. I was only able to recover one round due to the snow. In retrospect, I should have had some one else shoot it and see if it would fire through their gun. Oh well. I cleaned out the striker channel really well and took it to the range today. I ran 150 rounds of American Eagle through it, and it ran flawlessly. I might replace the striker spring, I haven't decided yet.

Ever since I changed out the extractor for the newer OEM part, I have not had any brass in the face. I don't really watch it to see where it goes or how strong the ejection is, but it clears my gun and doesn't attack me, so I am happy. If it happens again, a new extractor is a quick and easy fix.

I have been very pleased with this gun, and think that I am going to be Glock guy for the foreseeable future, I think my next gun will be a Gen 4 Glock 17.

I will add that the only downside so far is that I am starting to try appendix carry. This is my third day of carrying this way, and it still unnerves me a little doing it with a Glock. I kind of wish I had a hammer to ride or something, but not enough to get me to change guns again.

#48 ·
I prefer the 2000 round trigger job. I am not really a fan of dyi gun smithing. I will swap out parts with other oem parts (or one of very, very few after market), but that is really the extent of what I am willing to do myself.

#49 ·
Hawk87 said:
I prefer the 2000 round trigger job. I am not really a fan of dyi gun smithing. I will swap out parts with other oem parts (or one of very, very few after market), but that is really the extent of what I am willing to do myself.
To each his own, I suppose... To me, part of the fun of owning a Glock is its simplicity. Fact is: anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude can easily take it apart and put it back together with nothing but a simple punch (aka Glock Armorer Tool).

I'm with you on "mods", tho: except for OEM extended slide release and Trijicon night sights, I keep my Glocks stock in terms of parts. Now, I do sometimes use a Lonewolf 40S&W barrel when plinking/practicing with G20 simply because 10mm ammo can be expensive and hard to find. I wouldn't use any 3rd party parts in a carry gun, tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.