Utah Guns Forum banner

I have been assimilated

17K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  climbskirun 
#1 ·
About 6 months ago I was in the market for a new pistol. Things I wanted in the gun:

9mm so I could shoot more on a limited budget
More concealable then my full sized XD
I wanted a full size(ish) gun so that I could go to training with it.
I wanted a gun with lots of aftermarket support

Eventually my search led me to a Glock 19. I had looked at Glocks before, but never really liked the feel. The finger bump on the 19 had always landed right in the middle of my finger, and I had always bought into the grip angle hype. When I picked up the gen 4 Glock 19, I realized I had been wrong. I had been very, very wrong. So after 4 months on order, I finally got my gun about two months ago. I waited until now to write a review because I wanted to get a good number of rounds through it, and run it through Moyler's next step class so that I could get a good feel for the gun.

I want to start by commenting on the ejection pattern. I have read lots of reviews on the internet about newer Glocks sending brass strait back in your face, so this is something that I have been worried about. I found that the only time I have gotten brass in the face was shooting Independence ammo. I have shot a bunch of other ammo types and not had a problem. I shot a case of blazer brass during Moyler's class, and only had 2 or 3 rounds land on the brim of my hat. I feel safe saying that the brass to the face is really not a problem with my gun. That said, Apex is coming out with an extractor that is suppose to fix the problem completely, and I will be getting it to be on the safe side.

Next I want to talk about the grip angle. I think this 'problem' with Glocks is way overblown. I found that after 10 minuets of practice, the gun pointed more naturally for me then any gun I have ever handled. I like that the angle brings the bore more in line with my fore arm, and so brings the recoil more strait back. Along with the grip angle is the bore axis. I have shot lots of 9mm's before, and the combination of those 2 things make the Glock the most controllable of any of them. The recoil seems to come strait back into my chest and fore arms, making follow up shot easier.

I love the Gen 4 grip. It has a really aggressive texture that keeps the gun in place really well, even with wet hands. It strikes a good balance though, as the grip is not so aggressive that it chews up your hands. Like I said, I shot an all day class with it, and it was comfortable to shoot all day. I am glad that I wear and undershirt when I carry, because I am fairly sure that it would sand off any extra fat you had.

The changeable back-straps are not really an issue for me. I like the middle one, but I am sure if I had bigger (or smaller) hands they would make a big difference.

When I first got the gun, the trigger was awful. I really hated it. However as I have shot it more, the trigger has smoothed out a lot. My plan is to get to a thousand rounds and then re-evaluate it, but if it continues to smooth out, I don't think I will have to do anything to it.

So far the only thing I have changed out is the sights. I really hate Glock stock sights. So I got a pair of trijicons with a green front and yellow rear. I really like them. The only thing I would change is that I wish the front site had a little color on it to make it stand out during the day. I have considered adding some, but I am fairly sure my wife would make fun of me if I want to borrow her nail polish to use on my gun....

I am about 600 rounds into this gun and so far it has run like a champ (knock on wood)

I have to say that I am more then pleased with this gun. It shoots great, it carrys great, and is really everything I hoped it would be. I didn't start off as a Glock fanboy, but I think I might be turning into one. Oh well, welcome to the Glock collective :mrgreen:

See less See more
#4 ·
i bought a gen 4 17 and love it i do however wish i would have gotten the 19 but oh well glad you like it!

i will always own at least 1 golck unless i lose it in a boating accident...

#7 ·
Snurd said:
I have shot two gen 4 G19's and they were nice. I still like the gen 3 better. It fits my hands better. I handled a gen 4 G34 and that was slick.
That's funny, I really dislike the gen 3 grips, but the gen 4 fits me really well.

I foresee almost all my future guns being glocks. I would like a 17 (or 34) and a 26 to round things out. I am going to have to wait a while though, I want to focus my shooting money on training for the next few years.

I am glad I have finally found a platform I really like, and that I can focus on.

#9 ·
I have not. I looked for a gen 2 Glock 19, but I was never able to find one for sale. Well actually, I found one on KSL the day after I got my gen 4.... But that didn't really help me.

#11 ·
Congrats on your new Glock! Maybe you guys can help me out, because I'm still on the other side here…

First I want to point out that I think the Glock 19 is pretty much the gold standard of reliable concealed carry pistols in my opinion. That being said, I really WANT to like Glocks, but I just can't seem to fall in love with them. I'm not anti-Glock by any means, but I have shot many Glocks, including taking a Glock 19 through a 3-day class, and I just don't like grip angle at all. It's too bad really, because I wanted to buy a polymer 9mm for concealed carry and I really wanted a Glock 19 to fill that role.

I know people say the grip angle issue is overblown, but after shooting multiple Glocks, I always shoot high with them when shooting instinctively. If I am static shooting and I really focus on angling the gun lower and getting the sights perfectly lined up, I can shoot well with it. The problem is, I mainly train with more instinctive type shooting (drawing and engaging, shooting on the move, multiple threats, etc.) where I am focusing on the threat and the front sight instead of meticulously trying to line up the front and rear sights, and when I shoot instinctively, the grip angle on the Glocks always points high for me.

Did you guys ever feel like this before you started liking Glocks? I have put about 700+ rounds through Glocks over the years (in 9mm, .40, and .45), but maybe I need to give them another try. I think Glocks are probably one of the best all around conceal carry pistols available, and I really wished I shot them better so I could feel good about buying one. :lol:

#12 ·
Well I don't really know what to tell you Bcart. Everyone's body mechanics are a little different, what works for me, may not work for you.

Honestly, something like that is a training issue. I just sat and did press outs until I was use to the angle, but I have to say, it sounds like you gave it a pretty good effort. Something to consider if the grip angle is all that is holding you back, is the lone wolf frame (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3168) They designed it specifically to have a grip angle similar to a 1911. Its a big investment with out being able to hold one, but something to think about.

#13 ·
Hawk87 said:
Honestly, something like that is a training issue.
I agree. I just wonder if the amount of time I would spend training to get used to the grip angle would be better spent in other areas. :dunno:

I picked up a 9mm Walther PPQ recently and it seems somewhat similar to a Glock, but with ergonomics I like much better and the grip angle I'm used to. So far it's been incredibly accurate with a fantastic trigger. I'm gonna put 1,000+ rounds through that, and if it holds up well and is reliable, I'll probably stick with it. If not, I'm gonna give the Glock 19 another shot :D

Thanks for the advice and the review!

#14 ·
The Walther PPQ was up there in guns I was looking at. I have to admit it has fantastic ergo's. I hope it runs well for you, it looks like a great gun :thumbsup:

#16 ·
I really like the Gen4 over Gen3 have you shot many of the Gen4... maybe that will help.

If you have shot it a lot and are still not comfortable for you them maybe unfortunately it is not for you with out a LOT of work on fixing mechanics to make it instinctive but I feel that may mess with other pistols you shoot... *shrug*

I have a Gen4 17 that you are welcome to shoot as amny rounds as you wnt to buy if i get to go with you and shoot a few ;)

#18 ·
Yeah, I used to think it was my fault, then I shot a CZ 75 SP-01... and fell in love. A much heavier gun than any Glock, that's for sure, but I was just making a single ragged hole out of the bulls at 10+ yards. I shoot well with a Beretta 92FS too.
Different guns suit different people I guess.
Lots of people like light-weight polymer guns.
Maybe I'm not gripping tightly or something but I tend to prefer larger, heavier, metal guns.
I don't ever carry anyway, so it's not much of a problem now, but last year I was seriously considering a Glock 19 for every day carry (weight savings is HUGE when it has to live on your hip all day...). I eventually decided that I don't feel the need to carry everywhere I go, and with that my interest in Glock waned significantly. :dunno:

EDIT: It's kinda silly that I feel the need to clarify this, but I wouldn't want to offend fellow shooters of the House of Glock.
I'm not anti-Glock and I have no beef with "plastic guns". I think it's awesome we can use high-tech plastics and polymers in firearms. I just shoot better with longer barreled heavy duty pistols (even the Glock 17 is only 4.5" barrel). I've never shot a 17L/24 but I'm sure it would be fun.

#19 ·
B Cart said:
Congrats on your new Glock! Maybe you guys can help me out, because I'm still on the other side here…

First I want to point out that I think the Glock 19 is pretty much the gold standard of reliable concealed carry pistols in my opinion. That being said, I really WANT to like Glocks, but I just can't seem to fall in love with them. I'm not anti-Glock by any means, but I have shot many Glocks, including taking a Glock 19 through a 3-day class, and I just don't like grip angle at all. It's too bad really, because I wanted to buy a polymer 9mm for concealed carry and I really wanted a Glock 19 to fill that role.

I know people say the grip angle issue is overblown, but after shooting multiple Glocks, I always shoot high with them when shooting instinctively. If I am static shooting and I really focus on angling the gun lower and getting the sights perfectly lined up, I can shoot well with it. The problem is, I mainly train with more instinctive type shooting (drawing and engaging, shooting on the move, multiple threats, etc.) where I am focusing on the threat and the front sight instead of meticulously trying to line up the front and rear sights, and when I shoot instinctively, the grip angle on the Glocks always points high for me.

Did you guys ever feel like this before you started liking Glocks? I have put about 700+ rounds through Glocks over the years (in 9mm, .40, and .45), but maybe I need to give them another try. I think Glocks are probably one of the best all around conceal carry pistols available, and I really wished I shot them better so I could feel good about buying one. :lol:
I own an older, full size, 9mm Glock (Gen II) and it performs flawlessly. But I don't like it as much as my Beretta or Ruger. I've run it through several competitions, it shoots very accurately and has never had an ammo or gun malfunction in any of the competitions, while individuals running guns costing thousands more, have had multiple problems. I'd feel comfortable betting my life on one but would rather have one of my "favorites" in a pinch.

Carry the gun that fits you best and the one that you can accurately and dependably rely on to get the job done.
For some, :ack: , that can even be a Taurus!!! :wink:

#20 ·
gongo said:
Yeah, I used to think it was my fault, then I shot a CZ 75 SP-01... and fell in love. A much heavier gun than any Glock, that's for sure, but I was just making a single ragged hole out of the bulls at 10+ yards. I shoot well with a Beretta 92FS too.
Maybe I'm not gripping tightly or something but I tend to prefer larger, heavier, metal guns.
+1

A Glock just isn't a "fit" for me. But a CZ-75 is heaven in my hand (especially when I picked up my first gen). And I feel better with my daily CC being all-steel (Polish P-64), putting up with her disadvantages for reliability and the security of mind she gives me...

#21 ·
:lol:
PrimarchBentley said:
gongo said:
+1

A Glock just isn't a "fit" for me. But a CZ-75 is heaven in my hand (especially when I picked up my first gen). And I feel better with my daily CC being all-steel (Polish P-64), putting up with her disadvantages for reliability and the security of mind she gives me...
I really like my CZ-SP01, it does feel very comfortable... but I am confused, what disadvantage does the CZ-75 give you? Other than being heavy I can't imagine any...

#22 ·
Don't worry about the assimilation concerns, Riker was able to rescue Picard and after the implants are removed they heal very well with modern medicine. Putting down the cool-aid is generaly considered the first step.

Congrats on your arms, as long as your happy with them is all that matters.

#23 ·
My Trigger Guard said:
Don't worry about the assimilation concerns, Riker was able to rescue Picard and after the implants are removed they heal very well with modern medicine. Putting down the cool-aid is generaly considered the first step.
But I like the cool-aid...

#24 ·
Hawk87 said:
My Trigger Guard said:
"Liking" the cool-aid may be a function of desire or addiction!

#25 ·
JoeSparky said:
Hawk87 said:
My Trigger Guard said:
"Liking" the cool-aid may be a function of desire or addiction!
*standing up* My name is Dexter, and I am addicted to Glocks (and associated cool-aid), AND I LIKE IT. :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.