Utah Guns Forum banner

Another new baby in the house

5K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  spenc938 
#1 ·
After Snurd adopted his Glock, I was feeling a little baby hungry myself. Of course with an anniversary and Valentines day coming up, my wife was sensitive to that fact. She knew I'd been looking at some 12 gauges at Smith and Edwards, so today she surprised me by taking me out and telling me to "get what I wanted". :lol: I had been looking at a semi auto a couple of weeks ago, but they were out of stock..of course. They did, however have a Mossberg 500 in a pump action with 20" barrel and extended tube magazine. I repeat, they "did" have one. After signing the adoption papers and buying a few boxes of shells, I loaded the new baby in the car and headed home. Pictures to follow, tomorrow when I get time and space to spread things out and have some decent lighting. It came with a pistol grip, and I plan on installing that for the time being, but will take pictures before and after.

Meantime, I need advice on after market accessories. I've done a little research, and I see that there is a vast array of choices. I want my baby properly dressed, and and ready to rock.

Mel

#5 ·
Zacharia said:
Very nice. Is the pistol grip in addition or replacement of the butt stock?

Congrats!
Thanks! It's a replacement, but I'm looking at a Blackhawk with both, plus a recoil reduction system. Then I'll need to find a front grip with rails, not sure of a good brand for that but I'm still researching. I think I'd like to put a flashlight on it.

Mel

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

#7 ·
dewittdj said:
Cleaning kit, patches, and BreakFree by the gallon!!! :dancing:
You really think I'll need to shoot that many badguys, or are you anticipating the zombie apocalypse?

Mel

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Blackhawk.jpg
I've decided not to switch to the pistol grip, instead I'm going to order this stock. It's available for order from Amazon, but the lead time is 2-5 weeks. Still, 80% recoil reduction, adjustable stock length, and pistol grip, all in one appeals to me. My wife rolled her eyes a little, but she said do whatever I want to it :crown:

Congratulations Sarah, I know you've been wanting a shotgun too!

Mel

Attachments

#16 ·
quychang said:
reddenjeff said:
You would think with those giant openings dirt could get in the springs and mechanism
:lol: I thought Iwould cover them with duck tape.

Mel

I might have missed the joke. But just for the record. Those cut outs are for the marketing pictures. The actual product is hole-less.

#17 ·
Snowman said:
quychang said:
reddenjeff said:
You would think with those giant openings dirt could get in the springs and mechanism
:lol: I thought Iwould cover them with duck tape.

Mel

I might have missed the joke. But just for the record. Those cut outs are for the marketing pictures. The actual product is hole-less.
I assumed it was a joke, and responded accordingly :lol3: .

Mel

#19 ·
sarahbn said:
quychang said:
I went ahead and ordered it, along with a front hand grip with rails. Next month maybe I'll order a flashlight for it.

Mel
Thanks Mel! :D I think I'm going to get one too. Even though I specifically wanted a 12 gauge because it's a grown-up's gun, I like the idea of reduced recoil.
I've shot 12's enough to not have any desire to be macho about it. They're not "that" bad, but if you don't use good technique they'll leave a hefty bruise. The reason I've opted not to put the factory pistol grip on it, is that as my bones get older and more brittle, there's a very real chance I could fracture a wrist without the recoil dampening. The adjustable stock was what swung it though, the factory stock is a mediocre fit. Just wish they were more available, I'm not good at waiting and 2-5 weeks is both a long time and a big window. :ROFL:

Mel

#20 ·
quychang said:
I've shot 12's enough to not have any desire to be macho about it. They're not "that" bad, but if you don't use good technique they'll leave a hefty bruise.
I should clarify: some people advised me to get a youth shotgun to accommodate my T-Rex arms. Maybe I've got something to prove to myself, I don't know; but I didn't want to get a youth shotgun any more than I would want to get a pellet gun. I thought it was a well-meaning but patronizing suggestion. I'm a grownup and I want to learn to shoot the grownups' guns. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's what I was thinking.

#21 ·
The difference between a "youth" shotgun and and "adult" shotgun is the length of pull (the length of the butt stock). Essentially the "youth" shotgun is the commercial version of the shotgun with the butt-stock hacked off by a parent so the the child can shoulder the shotgun properly. The butt-stock can be replaced by a full-size stock and it becomes a "regular" shotgun. There are some average-size men who prefer a "youth" shotgun for defensive use because it's shorter and there's less chance of the butt catching on clothing when they shoulder it. I imagine that with the advent of the adjustable stock for shotguns those same men may just use one of those with the stock fully or almost fully collapsed.

#22 ·
Nothing to be ashamed of, having short arms doesn't make you a kid. But the adjustable stock should be ideal for you. I seriously considered a 20 gauge to reduce recoil. This should help me with that.

Mel

#24 ·
spenc938 said:
Does anyone know if this stock comes with a new forend? There is nothing in the description on Amazon or on Blackhawks own website about one, but many of the reviews mention it coming with one :dunno:
I believe the order says that it does, however it doesn't mention if it's a railed forend or not it just says "matching" , so I ordered a Mako with rails. I'm out $49.00 if I like the Blackhawk better, but I definitely want rails for a flashlight.

Mel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.