Utah Guns Forum banner

Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dewittdj 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This pistol has been on my wishlist for awhile...finally got around to getting one.

Guys, I haven't been this giggly about a pistol since I got my Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum 10 years ago.

No, not even my recent Sig P938 has quite made me cackle like this!

There's not much to say. She's a Ruger Blackhawk (single action pistol) with a 7.5" barrel.

Firing a .30 carbine.

This is, essentially, a ".30 STOOPID MAGNUM" if someone were to market the round today. It makes my .30 Tokarev seem...tame.

That said, the recoil is quite tame.

So...BLAM BLAM BLAM. I smile. Holes appear.

I fired six rounds at 7 yards. They all seemed dead on. I moved a fresh piece of paper out to 25, and fired off another 6. Results attached. I had to dial her 5 clicks left, and she was dead on. Note, I was expecting to dial her 3 clicks left. Not enough. Having that 7.5" barrel really extends the sight radius, and makes the adjustments smaller-per-click.

Good times. I also love her because of logistics purposes. For Reasons, I have a small mountain of .30 carbine ammo, and (prior to this acquisition) only one barrel to shoot that mountain out of. Problem solved.
bh30.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
You can load up a .30 Carbine, so that it rattles your teeth every time you pull the trigger in a Blackhawk. After two cylinders full of that, you need a breather and Excedrin. The only other gun I've shot that had a similar effect was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 Maximum. Even the newer big bore magnums like 460 S&W and 500 S&W Magnums don't have that high pitched crack like a .30 Carbine. They have plenty of muzzle blast, but it's more bassy and hits you more in the gut.

Sometime, I will have to upload a picture of my .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Congrats on yours. Happy shooting.

#6 ·
I sometimes refer to the '.30 Blackhawks' as "Skull Pounders".
There's nothing quite like a 20k+ psi discharge 2.5 feet from your face. ...Except .327 Federal with its 45k psi chamber pressure, but they are even more uncommon.

I have a friend with an original Coonan (.357 Mag 1911-style pistol), a new production Coonan, several .327 Federal revolvers, a plethora of .44 Mags, .45 Colts, and .357 Mags, and one 10.5" .30 Carbine Blackhawk.
He would sell all of his other firearms, and probably some body parts, before he let that .30 Carbine wheelgun go.... :wink:

#9 ·
Luv10mm said:
dewittdj said:
So... if you miss your target, then the concussion will probably do them in??? :wink:
That's funny, because that's exactly what my dad and I joke about. If you don't hit em, then the muzzle blast will stun them, and allow follow up shots. :lol:
Combination flash-bang/pistol.

Though to be honest, I didn't find it anymore blastacular than my .44 magnum Though I've only been firing factory loads (Aguila and S&B in the .30 carbine). The S&B was louder with more flash, but about on par with my .44 magnum.

I wish they had a GP100 in .30 carbine...or, let's be honest, a Beretta 92 style :)

#10 ·
bltdonahue said:
Luv10mm said:
dewittdj said:
So... if you miss your target, then the concussion will probably do them in??? :wink:
That's funny, because that's exactly what my dad and I joke about. If you don't hit em, then the muzzle blast will stun them, and allow follow up shots. :lol:

Though to be honest, I didn't find it anymore blastacular than my .44 magnum Though I've only been firing factory loads (Aguila and S&B in the .30 carbine). The S&B was louder with more flash, but about on par with my .44 magnum.

I wish they had a GP100 in .30 carbine...or, let's be honest, a Beretta 92 style :)
I can see a D/A style but a semi auto with that cartridge, can you imagine the beating the slide and frame would take. :dunno:

ETA: I guess it's nothing the coil overs off a 1ton pick up truck couldn't fix.

#11 ·
Photocell said:
bltdonahue said:

I can see a D/A style but a semi auto with that cartridge, can you imagine the beating the slide and frame would take. :dunno:

ETA: I guess it's nothing the coil overs off a 1ton pick up truck couldn't fix.
Can you imagine the beating a goblin's face would take? Anything can be over-engineered enough to work :) Even though a .30 Carbine Beretta 92-style pistol might be the world's first crew-served pistol, it's still something I'd love to try.

#12 ·
bltdonahue said:
You won't get a good blast with factory ammo, unless you find some old military stuff. The flash from old military .30 Carbine ammo is awesome. Big fan blades of flame come out the front of the cylinder in addition to the muzzle. I've only experienced good muzzle blasts with reloads and old military ammo.

The biggest difference between the muzzle blast from a .30 Carbine and large magnums is the register of the blast. Those large bores have a good powerful blast, but it tends to be more bassy and boomy. The .30 Carbine has a sharp crack to it that really pierces you. And it only does that in handguns. If you load up 15 grs of 2400 behind a 110 gr bullet, I guarantee it will rattle your cage. Then again, a cylinder or two full of full pressure 454 Casull, 460 S&W, or 500 S&W won't be pleasant either. I guess the interesting thing is how mild the recoil is, compared to the blast of the .30 Carbine. It sounds like a real cannon, but then you go, "wow, that doesn't kick at all". It's a strange dichotomy, but sure is fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.