Utah Guns Forum banner

Sig P320 compact

10K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 ·
I've been eyeing the Sig P320 for a little while. I had a P250 a while back, but didn't like the long double action trigger. The trigger was nice and smooth, but really long. So I sold it and bought a Glock 19. Loved them ever since. But after watching a number of videos on the P320 I wanted to either buy one, or try one out. Probably both.

The Sig P320 is almost identical to the P250, but it is striker fired instead of hammer fired. I really liked the P250, so this could be a great option, since it has a shorter, much nicer trigger. The reset is short as well. I went down to the Armory one day, and they had one in stock. The trigger on the P320 really is good. I would guess around 5ish pounds or so. The grip on the P320 and P250 are interchangeable. So the same grip, which I liked on the P250. Sweet. They didn't have one to shoot though. I tried another range and they didn't have one to shoot either.

My friend and I went down to Doug's today to do some shooting. Guess what they had. A P320 compact in 9mm and also one in .40 S&W. We tried out the 9mm since that is the one that both of us would like to get. A transfer of some dough, and some ammo, and we boogied downstairs.

As stated before, the grip is really nice. It is more rounded than the XD's or the Glocks. It fit well in both of our hands. It took a second to get used to the grip angle since it is more like a 1911 instead of a Glock. It didn't take long though. Probably less than a second. Ouch. :lol2:

It shoots like a dream. Very comfortable and easily managed. We put 50 rounds through it without a hiccup. It holds pretty tight groups. I'll put a picture in the thread in a little bit. Most of the groups were good, but the one I will post was the best one I had with it.

I like the fact that it's a Sig, and that it doesn't have the SA/DA trigger like the others do. It's the same pull every time. Quite handy.

Also they say that you can take it apart without having to pull the trigger like you do on other brands. You just have to take the mag out, lock the slide to the back, move the takedown lever, and push the slide forward. Obviously making sure the gun is unloaded is a priority for every gun when you want to disassemble it, but it seems they did this for an extra safety feature.

If you have the chance, I think this gun is well worth trying out. Doug's is the only place I have been that has one for rent. Other's may have one, but not the couple others that I went to.

See less See more
#4 ·
quychang said:
Show off :lol3:

Actually looks like another Sig to lust after. I'm on my best behavior at the moment, but I'll ask anyway. Price tag?

Mel
Most places have it for $550-600 for the version without night sights. $623 with night sights. Doug's price is $499. I didn't ask about the one with night sights. Gun Heaven in Centerville sells the night sight version for $573, I think. Doug's may be cheaper, but I'm not sure. The Armory was the most expensive at $600 with no night sights. I was pretty shocked at that price, since I had seen the price on a couple of local dealers at a much lower cost.

#5 ·
I'll check with Red Dot next time I'm in the shop, I was surprised by how much lower they were on the p238 and p938. I had already purchased the 238 or I could have saved about $40.00. But then, they quoted my $60 higher on the ECO than Impact was advertising. Scheels price matched, so they got the sale.

Mel

#7 ·
How are the grips adjustable? The Sig website says:
No two hands-or scenarios-are quite the same. The P320 can be customized
to meet the exact needs of the user. No backstraps required, no excuses
accepted.
I couldn't figure out how they do that-is the whole grip replaceable?
Just wondering how it would be for those of us who don't have Snurd-like gorilla hands :grinningjester:

Geoff.

#8 ·
Aad Geordie said:
How are the grips adjustable? The Sig website says:
No two hands-or scenarios-are quite the same. The P320 can be customized
to meet the exact needs of the user. No backstraps required, no excuses
accepted.
I couldn't figure out how they do that-is the whole grip replaceable?
Just wondering how it would be for those of us who don't have Snurd-like gorilla hands :grinningjester:

Geoff.
It's different than other guns. The entire action, all the metal parts inside the frame come out and that is the part with the serial number. You can buy different grips, which in the case of the P320 and P250, is the entire frame, without the inside parts. You can keep the same serial number, and get different sizes grips, slides, and barrels. That way you can have multiple calibers and grip sizes and still only have one gun.

I'm guessing they did this for places that can only have one pistol. Probably over in Europe, or maybe Kalifornia. :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd

#9 ·
Word on the street is that Texas DPS is looking at the P320 as their next issue sidearm. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up in their use.

You know, Snurd, we oughta go shooting together more often. Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

#10 ·
Snurd,
Thanks for the review...i think :dunno: :dunno:, my wife and wallet probably won't, but I will :lol2: .
I never knew this firearm existed until your post, and after poking my nose around the intertubes, I haven't found much to not like about it. Hopefully in the next year or two I'll be able to add one to the stable.
Keep up the good reviews...

#12 ·
MichaelD said:
Word on the street is that Texas DPS is looking at the P320 as their next issue sidearm. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up in their use.

You know, Snurd, we oughta go shooting together more often. Just sayin'. :mrgreen:
Indeed. We just have to bring my wife. She was a little chaffed that I went to the range without her. :shock:

Sent from iSnurd

#13 ·
sypher said:
Just had a thought. It looks like you got the compact, please correct me if I'm wrong. How does this compare to the shield?
We just rented this one, but it will be my next gun purchase. Hopefully very soon.

The compact is quite a bit different from the Shield. They have four sizes. Full size, which is about like a Glock 17, the carry which is basically a Glock 19 slide with a full size grip (17 rounds), the compact which is like a Glock 19, and the subcompact which I guess would be like a cross between a Glock 26 and Shield. The subcompact I think has a thicker and longer slide than the Shield, but the grip is probably somewhere between the Glock 26 and Shield in size.

I've hefted the subcompact P250 which has the same grip and the P320 sub, the compact and also full size. I prefer the compact personly, the Glock 19 size gun.

Sent from iSnurd

#15 ·
Snurdmeister said:
Full size, which is about like a Glock 17, the carry which is basically a Glock 19 slide with a full size grip (17 rounds), the compact which is like a Glock 19, and the subcompact which I guess would be like a cross between a Glock 26 and Shield.
This is accurate (naturally-it's Snurdly data!). However, I've now read probably a dozen or more reviews, plus scores of forum posts, and there seems to be an enormous amount of conflicting information around concerning the models, sizes and grip circumferences. I believe that much of this comes from the gradual roll-out of the different sizes available. If you read anything written more than three or four months ago then it is likely incorrect regarding the models and their sizes. Very little information about the actual grip circumference is on the SIG website and the grip modules don't seem to be listed as parts anywhere. Additionally, many reviews and comments are confusing the grip module models (i.e. length/height) with the grip size (i.e. the circumference). SIG added to the confusion, it seems, by splitting the Carry/Compact model into two distinct models around the end of 2014 so most of the info out on the interpub talks about only two models-Full Size and (interchangeably) either Compact or Carry (the sub-compact not having been released).

It seems (and what I've gleaned from the sparse info on the SIG website supports this) that there must logically be 12 different versions of the Grip Module (four models, each with three grip circumferences). The only convenient way I think I can represent those salient data is in a single de-normalized table:
ModelGripLengthHeightGrip Circumference
Full SizeSmall8.05.55.5
Full SizeMedium8.05.55.7
Full SizeLarge8.05.55.9
CarrySmall7.25.55.5
CarryMedium7.25.55.7
CarryLarge7.25.55.9
CompactSmall7.25.35.5
CompactMedium7.25.35.7
CompactLarge7.25.35.9
Sub-CompactSmall6.74.75.5
Sub-CompactMedium6.74.75.7
Sub-CompactLarge6.74.75.9
Note that the only difference between the Carry and the Compact is the height (17 vs 15 rounds [Edited to put the right way round]).
Grip modules seem to be around the $45-$50 mark.
Unfortunately, as far as I ascertain, SIG are only supplying the Medium circumference grip module (regardless of model) with new pistols. This will mean anyone requiring a Small or large would have to fork out the extra fifty bucks and be left with a useless spare Medium grip module (for which no-one else would have a use-since everyone will get one).

If SIG won't supply new pistols with anything other than the Medium size grips then maybe enterprising FFLs might be able to stock the other sizes, sell new units with alternate grip modules and then return the excess Medium grip modules to SIG?

Geoff.

#16 ·
If they sell these like they did some of the P250s then you might can get a P320 2SUM package that has one firearm insert and a sun compact grip and Slide and a Full Size grip and slide. So you get 2 guns in one.

#17 ·
D-FIN said:
If they sell these like they did some of the P250s then you might can get a P320 2SUM package that has one firearm insert and a sun compact grip and Slide and a Full Size grip and slide. So you get 2 guns in one.
I haven't seen any of the 2sum packages for the P320 yet. That would be handy, but I would still probably use the compact version the most. But who knows. :D

#20 ·
I just was looking on their website at all the options they listed and they had 3 different threaded options so I assumed you might could order one that way. More likely you'll have to order it from sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
D-FIN said:
I just was looking on their website at all the options they listed and they had 3 different threaded options so I assumed you might could order one that way. More likely you'll have to order it from sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw the options that they have, but can't find a place that has them. I'll email Sig to see if they will sell one directly to me, or at least to a local dealer. I don't know if they are just really popular and they are hard to get, or if they just haven't made a lot of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.