Cobra FS .380

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding firearms.

Cobra FS .380

Postby Cadet Higham » Tue 20 Apr 2010 5:56 pm

My wife is looking into getting a .380. She is looking to test-fire a Cobra FS .380 before actually purchasing one. Does anyone on here own one that would consider letting her test-fire it? Does anyone have any feedback regarding it?
Please let me know.

Thanks.
Luke 22:36
"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Cadet Higham
Novice

Re: Cobra FS .380

Postby MarshallDodge » Thu 22 Apr 2010 7:24 am

It would not be my first choice for a handgun. Have you looked at the Kahr CW9 or M&P9c?

I am not trying to be a gun snob, just trying to point you in the right direction. :D
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby GeneticsDave » Thu 22 Apr 2010 7:39 am

.380 seems to kick more than 9mm in my experience. I would recommend a small 9mm - the ammo is much easier to find as well.
GeneticsDave
Posse

Postby Gyrase » Thu 22 Apr 2010 9:30 am

GeneticsDave wrote:.380 seems to kick more than 9mm in my experience. I would recommend a small 9mm - the ammo is much easier to find as well.

:huh: Really???

I won't argue which round is better but I have a Walther PPS in 9mm and a Sig P238 in .380 and neither recoil is horrible but despite being a smaller gun the P238 has much less kick. I can shoot it one handed without any problems. The kick depends on the platform though, I hear that the Ruger LCP kicks pretty good, but out of similarly sized guns the .380 should be easier to control.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Postby Jarubla » Thu 22 Apr 2010 9:37 pm

GeneticsDave wrote:.380 seems to kick more than 9mm in my experience. I would recommend a small 9mm - the ammo is much easier to find as well.

I had a buddy show me his sores from his cobra .380 shooting over the weekend. He only put 50 rounds downrange, but his shooting hand was blistered.

I would say get a hipoint 9mm before a cobra. If price is an issue, go by a cal-ranch and check the hipoints out.

If you can save your pennies a little longer, get a good used glock and don't look back :mrgreen:

-Jay
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends
Jarubla
Sharp Shooter

Postby Cinhil » Fri 23 Apr 2010 9:02 pm

PM Me, I have this exact Cobra at my home & would let you check it out.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby LadyIsadora » Fri 23 Apr 2010 9:12 pm

If wife shows up to the shoot tomorrow, she is welcome to shoot my ruger LCP. it doesn't kick so bad in my opinion. but on the other hand I wouldn't give it to my mother to shoot.
I love this little gun.
Because the alternative is unthinkable.
LadyIsadora
Marksman

Postby 11B20B4 » Sat 24 Apr 2010 1:11 am

:huh:

When was the last time you fired a PF-9?
VENI-VEDI-VICI

If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. -Sun Tzu

Oath Keeper
11B20B4
Novice

Postby hedonistic » Sat 24 Apr 2010 3:56 pm

WTH (heck) more energy in the same weight gun always = more recoil. Just physics.

My vote for entry level 380 is a Hungarian P63, Makerov, or a Bersa.
hedonistic

Postby Cadet Higham » Sun 25 Apr 2010 11:36 am

Well, thanks to Cinhil, Stephanie (my wife) and I were able to try one yesterday.

Overall, I would recommend it as a fun plinking gun (It was accurate, fun to shoot, and had little recoil making it good for younger shooters or inexperienced shooters). It's big, and has some more weight to it (similar to a hi-point). The only problem we had was with feeding and ejecting with blunt-tipped ammunition (Winchester .380 auto). Within the first seven rounds, it had failed to properly feed 2 rounds, and had ejection problems with another one. Round-tipped ammunition had no problems whatsoever. After verifying that this indeed was the issue, I got nervous about how it would perform with JHP ammunition in a critical moment. We don't think we'll be purchasing one as a self-defense weapon, but when we're looking at a fun plinking toy, will definitely look at a Cobra FS.

(I'm not sure if a moderator wants to move this over to the firearm review forum, but it seems that is where it belongs)

Thanks all for your kind help! Especially Cinhil, who loaned us his firearm to try!

Next up she wants to try a hi-point and a bersa in .380, so we'll see what she ends up with.
Luke 22:36
"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Cadet Higham
Novice

Postby needhlp20 » Sat 29 Jan 2011 1:25 pm

The owners manual for the FS380 states not to use personal defense rounds in this gun...use only rounded ball-style rounds. Love this gun though. Very accurate for a fixed sight low budget plinker. Anyone thinking of buying this model, the Taurus 85 snub, or the highpoint 9mm is welcome to test out mine.
needhlp20
Novice

Postby needhlp20 » Tue 01 Feb 2011 3:00 pm

Just got back from the Cobra Enterprises factory. Had a really old FS380 with a cracked slide, which they replaced. Just because there was some chipped chrome on the tip of the barrel they offered to press in a new one. Long story short, the new barrel was a little bigger than the old and the frame split, and I have a brand new FS380. They even let me choose the color I wanted. (I got a chrome frame with a black slide.) Try that with a gun made out of state. Most companies would have balked and try to say I abused it but not Cobra. The only questions they asked were about what color I wanted, and of course the background check. Wish all companies were like that...they made me feel like the most important customer they've ever had. Now I want a Cobra Shadow, and Patriot 9mm. I can say they are an awesome company because I am truly 'in awe' about the way I was treated.
needhlp20
Novice

Postby LadyIsadora » Sun 17 Jul 2011 4:52 pm

I had a similar FULLY AWESOME experience with the COBRA factory....the ppl are top notch in my book and they stand behind their product!
Because the alternative is unthinkable.
LadyIsadora
Marksman

Return to General Firearms