FLORIDA: Anger management class to buy ammo

This is a Forum to discuss issues relating to gun control vs. the right to keep and bear arms in the United states and Utah. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions.

FLORIDA: Anger management class to buy ammo

Postby Car Knocker » Wed 06 Mar 2013 1:03 pm

A Florida legislator wants anyone trying to buy ammunition to complete an anger management program first, in what critics say is the latest example of local lawmakers reaching for constitutionally-dubious solutions to the problem of gun violence.

The bill filed Saturday by state Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville, would require a three-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm and the sale of ammunition to anyone who has not completed anger management courses. The proposal would require ammo buyers to take the anger management courses every 10 years.

“This is not about guns," Gibson said. "This is about ammunition and not only for the safety of the general community, but also for the safety of law enforcement.”

Gibson said she’s concerned with citizens stockpiling ammunition, potentially creating dangerous situations should those individuals ever come in contact with law enforcement agencies or criminals.

“It’s about getting people to think, really, about how much ammunition they need,” Gibson said. “It’s a step, I think, in a safer direction. It’s about getting people to think before they buy.”

"When I first saw it, I thought it had to be a joke."

- Sean Caranna, executive director, Florida Carry

Gibson insisted the bill is not “accusatory” toward gun and ammunition owners, but rather an effort to improve the safety of her community. She recalled the death of a Jacksonville man, Jordan Davis, 17, who was fatally shot during a confrontation with another man in November. Michael David Dunn, 46, of Satellite Beach, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the case.

Gibson first announced her intentions to introduce such legislation last month during a rally for Davis, saying “people are just not as patient as they used to be,” according to the Florida Times-Union.

“We see the rage on the road all the time,” she continued Wednesday. “People are just more impatient, I don’t know what it is.”

Gibson’s bill does not offer a threshold for the amount of ammunition needed to necessitate the need for anger management courses.

“It is unlawful to: A) Sell ammunition to another person who does not present certification that he or she has successfully completed an anger-management program consisting of at least 2 hours of online or face-to-face instruction in anger-management techniques,” the bill reads. “The certification must be renewed every 10 years. B) Purchase or otherwise obtain ammunition by fraud, false pretense, or false representation.”

Those in violation of the bill, if passed, would face a second-degree misdemeanor charge. Anyone found in violation a second time within a year of a prior conviction would face a first-degree misdemeanor charge.

Critics of the bill, however, derided the legislation as “absolutely ridiculous” and suggested that Gibson take a course on the U.S. Constitution.

“When I first saw it, I thought it had to be a joke,” said Sean Caranna, executive director of Florida Carry, a nonprofit group championing the right to bear arms. “They’re trying to say that anyone who owns a gun or shoots a gun or has ammunition for it needs counseling and obviously has some anger problems.”

Caranna said he was disappointed that Gibson wasted her time on the bill instead of focusing on other issues like jobs or the state’s rate of foreclosures, which is the highest in the nation.

“We’ve got a lot of issues that should be the focus of these bill slots with limited filing, but instead we put in something as ridiculous as this,” he said. “I don’t see a planet where this passes. This is an attempt to grab attention – it has to be. And that’s really disappointing.”

Jon Gutmacher, an Orlando attorney and author of “Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership,” told FoxNews.com that the bill would almost certainly be found to be unconstitutional based on prior restraint.

“It has no reasonable relationship to anything,” he said. “There has to be a reasonable basis to believe that a person had a substantial anger problem that could cause public harm.”

Gutmacher said he found the bill to be an “insult” to any gun owner in the Sunshine State.

“It’s absurd on its face,” he continued. “And anyone who proposes that legislation is in my mind unfit for the legislature because it shows a basic problem with their thinking process, aside from their lack of understanding of what the Constitution is all about. That’s the kind of bill that doesn’t even get past committee.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... z2Mn9ZMQ5D
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Re: FLORIDA: Anger management class to buy ammo

Postby DiscoLives4ever » Wed 06 Mar 2013 1:22 pm

I initially read the thread title as "As part of an anger management class, the students will buy ammo". That sounded much more interesting :D
DiscoLives4ever
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 06 Mar 2013 1:45 pm

Are people eating "stupid" pills?

(Sent from iSnurd)
Image SW1911 / Slipstream Permanent Treatment
Slipstream - Just what the Gundoctor ordered.
NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor, NRA RSO
Contact me for SIRT Training Pistols
Snurd
Top Shot

Postby Hawk87 » Wed 06 Mar 2013 2:11 pm

I kind of wonder if its not a good thing that gun grabbers are having to find back doors to attack us. They are starting to realize they aren't going to get what they really want (AWB and mag limits) so they are starting to stretch. Don't get me wrong, we still have to fight, but I think it might be indicative that things are going our way.
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for good men to do nothing
Hawk87
Sniper

Postby Korben88 » Thu 07 Mar 2013 12:45 pm

this isn't about gun control, it's about ammunition control....
:bangdesk:
Utah CFP instructor ~ NRA Pistol Instructor ~ NRA Rifle Instructor

http://www.aegisfirearmsinstruction.com
http://www.facebook.com/aegisfirearmsinstruction
Korben88
Sniper

Postby RoccoRacer » Thu 07 Mar 2013 12:48 pm

I always thought that was the point of buying ammo: to have a therapeutic, stress release at the range. :dunno:
Ben
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mohandas Gandhi
RoccoRacer
Sharp Shooter

Postby gravedancer » Thu 07 Mar 2013 12:52 pm

Maybe someone in florida should start an "anger management" class whos teachings revolve around the theraputic value of a relaxing trip to the gun range. Then that way the participants could get in a nice trip to the range, and satisfy the requirements of an anger management course, all at the same time.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby brainoncapitalist » Thu 07 Mar 2013 1:17 pm

gravedancer wrote:Maybe someone in florida should start an "anger management" class whos teachings revolve around the theraputic value of a relaxing trip to the gun range. Then that way the participants could get in a nice trip to the range, and satisfy the requirements of an anger management course, all at the same time.

+1!
Aaron
I am not a 14th Amendment citizen with civil rights! I am an original class citizen with unalienable rights!

Favorite sites:
http://www.americanradioshow.us
http://www.davechampionshow.com
http://www.originalintent.org
http://www.fija.org
brainoncapitalist
Expert Marksman

Postby quychang » Thu 07 Mar 2013 1:35 pm

brainoncapitalist wrote:
gravedancer wrote:Maybe someone in florida should start an "anger management" class whos teachings revolve around the theraputic value of a relaxing trip to the gun range. Then that way the participants could get in a nice trip to the range, and satisfy the requirements of an anger management course, all at the same time.

+1!

Maybe someone in Florida should propose a bill requiring a minimum IQ to be considered for state legislative positions. Or perhaps, that might be a nationwide referendum.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Thu 07 Mar 2013 2:55 pm

quychang wrote:
brainoncapitalist wrote:

+1!

Maybe someone in Florida should propose a bill requiring a minimum IQ to be considered for state legislative positions. Or perhaps, that might be a nationwide referendum.

Mel

If only we could get such a law passed. We would have the biggest upheaval in congress ever recorded in history.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby punchking » Thu 07 Mar 2013 3:24 pm

Or a minimum IQ for voters. The problem I can see with this is that we would have to establish another government agency to administer the tests...
punchking
Novice

Postby spenc938 » Thu 07 Mar 2013 6:08 pm

I'm just going to leave this here.

Someone needs to make another one where bugs is removing the entirety of both coasts + Illinois.
spenc938
Marksman

Postby Daeyel » Thu 07 Mar 2013 9:40 pm

It would make far more practical sense to require anger management classes a condition of drivers license renewal. Road Rage is a far more common, and therefore serious threat than shooters.

You are more likely to be involved in a road rage incident than in a mass shooting.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby ObiRich » Fri 08 Mar 2013 4:53 pm

Daeyel wrote:It would make far more practical sense to require anger management classes a condition of drivers license renewal. Road Rage is a far more common, and therefore serious threat than shooters.

You are more likely to be involved in a road rage incident than in a mass shooting.

What he said... the example cited in the article dealt with road rage. Seems to me the anger management should be required when getting your driver's license and/or buying or renting a car, not buying ammo.
Spent 24 years in the USAF defending our rights...don't intend to stop now
ObiRich
Marksman

Postby Maxterra » Mon 11 Mar 2013 5:55 am

So if you're buying ammo on-line, can you take an on-line anger management class????

My bad!

My personal pet peeve of the left demonizing online ammo purchases as being more sinister and devious versus running down to the store to get a case there.
Maxterra
Marksman

Next

Return to Gun Control Issues in the United States and Utah