Thought on law Montanna just passed?

This is a Forum to discuss issues relating to gun control vs. the right to keep and bear arms in the United states and Utah. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions.

Thought on law Montanna just passed?

Postby DaKnife » Fri 17 Feb 2017 5:00 am

Montana just upped the ante and is going to challenge at least one federal law.
Guns to be allowed in Post Offices.
Opinions, thoughts, rants?

In my opinion this could bode well as it's hard to find a valid justification for the ban on carry on Post Office grounds. What makes a Post Office so Sacred?
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Re: Thought on law Montanna just passed?

Postby Snurd » Fri 17 Feb 2017 9:15 am

I think the post office gun ban is stupid. Especially on their property. Some PO's have almost no parking off their property. They are on busy roads with basically no shoulder, and no side roads. If going to these locations, you have to leave your gun at home.

Gun free zones are worthless.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 17 Feb 2017 10:54 am

To me the whole issue of no guns in postoffice buildings nor on their properties should be repealed in its entirety. However, I'd be fine with HB 246, which at least allows firearms to be stored in a vehicle on postoffice property while a person goes into the building. While not ideal, that's a step in the right direction so a person wouldn't have to leave a firearm at home.

As Snurd said, parking out on the street is usually not possible given the traffic and, often, the location. Plus, a vehicle is more likely to be broken into as savvy folks know if a vehicle is parked out on the street outside a postoffice it's likely because a person has left a firearm inside the vehicle.

Be interesting to see where this goes.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Fri 17 Feb 2017 11:12 am

jfwright1955 wrote:To me the whole issue of no guns in postoffice buildings nor on their properties should be repealed in its entirety. However, I'd be fine with HB 246, which at least allows firearms to be stored in a vehicle on postoffice property while a person goes into the building. While not ideal, that's a step in the right direction so a person wouldn't have to leave a firearm at home.

As Snurd said, parking out on the street is usually not possible given the traffic and, often, the location. Plus, a vehicle is more likely to be broken into as savvy folks know if a vehicle is parked out on the street outside a postoffice it's likely because a person has left a firearm inside the vehicle.

Be interesting to see where this goes.

Unfortunately it's not a total protection for someone who stores a gun on PO property while entering the building. It only says they won't use local police to help the Feds. Unless I'm missing something.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Return to Gun Control Issues in the United States and Utah