Utah Guns Forum banner

The scene in Connecticut...

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RustyShackleford 
#1 ·
#3 ·
They're all criminals if it is past 01 Jan 2014!!!

Something along the lines of Charlton Heston's quote comes to mind:
"I'll give you my gun when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands."
Modified to reflect this latest calamity:
"I'll register my gun when you pry a pen and a registration form into my cold, dead hands."

#4 ·
You know, part of me says I want to be a law abiding citizen, but another part of me says they don't have enough jail space and ankle bracelets if every gun owner said "Nuts!"

#5 ·
ObiRich said:
You know, part of me says I want to be a law abiding citizen, but another part of me says they don't have enough jail space and ankle bracelets if every gun owner said "Nuts!"
Can you imagine if all those guys were open carrying their black rifles? :shock:

#7 ·
This was posted on my facebook page by a progun friend:

Here's the caption that goes with the upper photo:
Jews of Thessaloniki, Greece line up for registration and assignment to hard labor, July 1942. Under a burning sun, thousands of men were kept doing calisthenics and other "exercises" by their German overlords. Very few of the people in this photo survived the war; by 1944, the entire Jewish population had been deported to Auschwitz and gassed on arrival.
On a personal note: I was not aware that that happen that late in WWII.
I met a Jewish survivor of Auschwitz in the early 1960s. He was a teenager in the early 1940s and 20 years later he looked to be in his seventies or older. He only had one quarter of his stomach and had to eat 6 to 8 small meals a day to live. I also remember that he had a number tattooed on his forearm.

#8 ·
ObiRich said:
Agreed. The question is, what are the options?

You can move to a free(er) State.

You can dispose of your guns/mags while still legal.

You can register and presumably still use your guns/mags legally.

Or you can refuse to register, become a criminal, risk what may be a felony conviction and loss of all RKBA (as well as bankruptcy, etc) because you chose to own an item without registering it when that is now the legal requirement, and basically not be able to use your now illegal gun/mag for risk of being caught, forfeiting it as contraband, and facing conviction. Even if you don't use the gun/mag in public, what do you do with it? Keep it in the house and you have the risk (maybe very small for most of us) of it coming to light during a house fire, a burglary, domestic dispute, or other event where the police have legal cause to search the home. A nasty breakup or divorce could turn into a felony if the ex decides to rat you out. A home invasion, burglary, or missing child could become a much bigger problem than it already was. An otherwise clean and justified self-defense shooting of a home invader gets really ugly if you've used an illegal gun/magazine, or even if one turns up as the police investigate. What? Do we really think the cops are unable to poke through your entire gun collection when there is a dead guy laying in the living room?

So refusing to register while keeping the now illegal gun/mag relegates you to either assuming some level of risk to keep the gun/mag handy, or to the proverbial burying it in the backyard. And exactly how much good does the gun/mag do me buried even if I do manage to do that in such a way that it won't be found and won't be destroyed by rust in short (or even long) order?

I've given this some thought, and I'm just not sure I see much benefit to keeping items that are illegal. I can't use them and their presence poses a risk.

Obviously, the best thing to do is to put in the work up front to make sure that our RKBA is not criminalized any further than it already is.

But once an item is banned? What to do. If they announced they were banning guns today and would be rounding us up to send us to the gas chambers or concentration/re-education camps tomorrow, it would be easy, right? Time to start shooting. Which is why that will never happen.

I'm just trying to envision a scenario where having something like an illegal gun or magazine buried is of much benefit. Maybe if you have a remote cabin or camping site where you plan to bug out in the event of Armageddon or martial law, having some things properly hidden there would make sense. You head out knowing that when you get there you're making your last stand if the zombies or enemy forces ever show up in your corner of the wilderness. But in an urban/suburban area? I'm having a hard time imagining up a scenario where I have enough notice that I need the gun to dig it up and yet that notice is obvious enough that I know now is the time to get the gun because being caught with the illegal gun is less bad than being caught without it.

Thoughts on this subject?

Charles

#9 ·
AlanM said:
This was posted on my facebook page by a progun friend:

Here's the caption that goes with the upper photo:
Jews of Thessaloniki, Greece line up for registration and assignment to hard labor, July 1942. Under a burning sun, thousands of men were kept doing calisthenics and other "exercises" by their German overlords. Very few of the people in this photo survived the war; by 1944, the entire Jewish population had been deported to Auschwitz and gassed on arrival.
On a personal note: I was not aware that that happen that late in WWII.
I met a Jewish survivor of Auschwitz in the early 1960s. He was a teenager in the early 1940s and 20 years later he looked to be in his seventies or older. He only had one quarter of his stomach and had to eat 6 to 8 small meals a day to live. I also remember that he had a number tattooed on his forearm.
Seriously? Comparing registering your firearms to Jewish persecution by Nazi Germany is pretty tasteless in my opinion.

#10 ·
kris said:
Seriously? Comparing registering your firearms to Jewish persecution by Nazi Germany is pretty tasteless in my opinion.
It illustrates the extremes that complacency can result in. In both cases, rights and freedoms are jeopardized and in the extreme, life itself it forfeited by complacency in the extreme sense. In both cases, it didn't occur without warning and in both cases, the individuals impacted did not heed the warning. I see more similarities than I see differences.

#11 ·
dewittdj said:
kris said:
It illustrates the extremes that complacency can result in. In both cases, rights and freedoms are jeopardized and in the extreme, life itself it forfeited by complacency in the extreme sense. In both cases, it didn't occur without warning and in both cases, the individuals impacted did not heed the warning. I see more similarities than I see differences.
Thanks, I guess I may not have considered "comparing" the two like that. However, this is not Germany in the 40's. They do not have to stay in CT. Instead of "cold and dead hands" or "molon labe" it could be, "hey, you can have this crap,I'm out of here."

Also, in CT they have already had registrations there. Every time you buy a gun from a store, or do a FTF handgun transfer, you have to fill out a form. A copy goes to the state police record keeping unit, and a copy goes to the local LE agency. So, by "registering" a "assault weapons," you're just re-registering guns that have already been registered. This most recent ban is actually the state's third assault weapons ban. Anything banned under the first law (1994?) had to be registered.

Polygon said:
I want to be a law abiding citizen as well. However, it's our duty to disobey any unconstitutional law.
Question, do you have a CCW permit? Any NFA tax stamps? Do you carry into restricted areas? Prisons? If you make a statement such as that, don't pick and choose.

#12 ·
dewittdj said:
kris said:
Meh, it's a picture of a freaking line.
I could post a picture of literally ANY line and make the same comparison. It's a stupid comparison in my opinion, and most posts like that on facebook I ignore. I'd agree with Kris. Very tasteless.

#13 ·
gskip33 said:
dewittdj said:
kris said:
Meh, it's a picture of a freaking line.
I could post a picture of literally ANY line and make the same comparison. It's a stupid comparison in my opinion, and most posts like that on facebook I ignore. I'd agree with Kris. Very tasteless.
Which line is freaking and which is not?

Posting a picture of literally any line would not elicit the same comparison analogy. A line wrapped around Cabelas for the Black Friday sale is not going to have any comments about loss of rights or forfeiting freedom as they were not compelled to do so by some government control or bureaucracy.

Erosion, whether gradual or immediate, is still erosion and in this case it is the erosion of personal freedoms.

Perhaps I should "Facebook" more often to gain a better understanding of your perspective? I think not!

#14 ·
Yep, being forced BY LAW to line up to register a tool that you have the Constitutional right to KEEP AND BEAR, WHICH SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

#15 ·
A little info on the registration. The government didn't get nearly as many guns registered as they had anticipated/hoped.

http://bearingarms.com/connecticut-scra ... magazines/
Governor Dannel Malloy and the government of the state of Connecticut are having their own "Oh, poop" moment, now that they've tallied the number of citizens who have registered their "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" required by the state's unconstitutional gun laws, compared that to the estimated number of applicable weapons and magazines in the state, and realize they've been ignored.

Historically speaking, 90-percent or more of those required to comply with gun registration laws in the U.S. refuse to do so, and there is no reason to suspect that this registration attempt in Connecticut is any different. I've seen estimates of 1,000,000 firearm magazines that should have been registered under the law, but the state reports registering only 40,000… just 4 percent.
More story at the link provided

#16 ·
The Right to keep and bear arms is an inalienable right (so it can't be taken away anyway, like your right to breath) and 2A already spells this out as a right reserved to the people (not the state). Therefor it is not a States Rights issue under 10A.

For a state to pass firearm laws that infringe on your right to KEEP and bear arms, is just as unconstitutional as a state passing a law that limits your right to a jury trial, freedom to assemble, make you get a permit to be a Catholic, Mormon, Protestant, Muslim or Jew.

Why should we continue to allow the 2nd Amendment to be the ******* child of the Bill of Rights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.