California ban on OpenCarry fails!

This is a Forum to discuss issues relating to gun control vs. the right to keep and bear arms in the United states and Utah. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions.

California ban on OpenCarry fails!

Postby UtahJarhead » Thu 02 Sep 2010 4:32 am

DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Re: California ban on OpenCarry fails!

Postby IchBin » Thu 02 Sep 2010 12:33 pm

A little lost here. 3:19 into the video, or 3:19 remaining? I'm not seeing anything regarding the passing of such legislation or anything that I would consider Hilarity. :huh:
~~ Dreams do not die with the Dreamer. ~~
IchBin
Marksman

Postby B Cart » Thu 02 Sep 2010 12:59 pm

It's 3.19 into the video, but it looked to me like the bill to ban open carry passed?? You said that the bill to ban OC failed? Did I misunderstand the ruling?
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby one4freedom » Thu 02 Sep 2010 1:00 pm

IchBin wrote:A little lost here. 3:19 into the video, or 3:19 remaining? I'm not seeing anything regarding the passing of such legislation or anything that I would consider Hilarity. :huh:

3 hours and 19 minutes into it they discuss the open carry bill.

I am quite confused though. There were a few representatives that gave well thought out arguments apposing the bill. I thought everybody in KA was an idiot. Good to see some light in the darkness there.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IDPA SO
one4freedom
Expert Marksman

Postby B Cart » Thu 02 Sep 2010 1:17 pm

I looked around more on the internet, and it looks like the bill to ban OC did fail. That is a big victory for 2A supporters and law abiding citizens in California!
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby UtahJarhead » Thu 02 Sep 2010 2:35 pm

The bill did not pass. It was passed, as in they skipped it. It CAN be reintroduced at a later date, but the bill is very much dead in its current form. This is how I understand it, and I've been proven to be a dolt in the past, so grain of salt and all that.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby kccraft » Thu 02 Sep 2010 3:16 pm

14freedom wrote:I am quite confused though. There were a few representatives that gave well thought out arguments apposing the bill. I thought everybody in KA was an idiot. Good to see some light in the darkness there.

Totally with you there. :thumbsup:
"Not all of the blood that waters the tree of liberty comes from the veins of soldiers." -Divegeek
kccraft
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Thu 02 Sep 2010 6:41 pm

I was only able to see about 5 minutes of the video before it would quit loading, lots of goofy stuff going on there. It is good to see that the open carry legislation stalled.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Sam Fidler » Sat 04 Sep 2010 8:39 am

B Cart, the video showed several legislators argue against the bill then the political wranglings that eventually killed the bill for this session. The first attempt was a minor filibuster with multiple arguments against the bill. It was mentioned many times that only one hour remained in the legislative session for the year and it seemed rather obvious that the last speaker was going to use all of his allotted time even though there was much that still needed to be accomplished in that last hour. Next, they proceeded with a number of proposals that would kill it and the one that succeeded was a vote to postpone further debate until later in the session. Since there was less than an hour remaining and many more bills to consider, everyone knew that it was dead for the year. The bill will have to begin at the beginning again if it is to be considered again next year.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Car Knocker » Sat 04 Sep 2010 9:15 am

Sam Fidler wrote:It was mentioned many times that only one hour remained in the legislative session for the year and it seemed rather obvious that the last speaker was going to use all of his allotted time even though there was much that still needed to be accomplished in that last hour.

Fairly frequently, as the legislative clock is nearing midnight on the last day of the session, the California Legislature will pull the plug on the clock at a few minutes to midnight and continue debating and voting on bills, for hours if necessary. The clock is restarted after business has been concluded and the Legislature duly adjourned at the stroke of midnight. It's clear to me that if there was sufficient legislative will to push this bill through, it would have been done and the rest of the legislative business would have been accomplished as well.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby Cinhil » Sat 04 Sep 2010 9:29 am

Car Knocker wrote:
Sam Fidler wrote:It was mentioned many times that only one hour remained in the legislative session for the year and it seemed rather obvious that the last speaker was going to use all of his allotted time even though there was much that still needed to be accomplished in that last hour.

Fairly frequently, as the legislative clock is nearing midnight on the last day of the session, the California Legislature will pull the plug on the clock at a few minutes to midnight and continue debating and voting on bills, for hours if necessary. The clock is restarted after business has been concluded and the Legislature duly adjourned at the stroke of midnight. It's clear to me that if there was sufficient legislative will to push this bill through, it would have been done and the rest of the legislative business would have been accomplished as well.

Wow! Pulling the plug on the clock like that is like slapping the face of every person in the state! What a way to abuse the trust of the voters, of the citizenry which put you there. This is so wrong, it is abuse of power. Glad it wasn't done this time. Hopefully should this bill come up next legislative session it will be voted against and fail.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Sat 04 Sep 2010 10:24 am

Car Knocker wrote:

Fairly frequently, as the legislative clock is nearing midnight on the last day of the session, the California Legislature will pull the plug on the clock at a few minutes to midnight and continue debating and voting on bills, for hours if necessary. The clock is restarted after business has been concluded and the Legislature duly adjourned at the stroke of midnight.

Seems like someone who doesn't like a bill that was passed after midnight could go to court and get it struck down. Maybe they're careful not do to that will non-routine bills?
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Car Knocker » Sat 04 Sep 2010 2:01 pm

It seems to me that this procedure was used mostly on budgetary bills. Given the size of California's budget and some of the controversial uses the money is put to, I'd think that someone (or group) would have objected strenuously enough by now that the practice would have met a judicial challenge if it was possible. :dunno:
Don

Car Knocker
Posse

Postby Car Knocker » Sat 04 Sep 2010 2:24 pm

A bit more about the process:

Stop the Clock
The term used to describe the process of continuing legislative business after the passage of a deadline imposed by legislative rule.

http://www.legislativecounsel.ca.gov/po ... he%20Clock

Stop the Clock
The practice of lengthening the hours of the legislative day, irrespective of the passing of the hours of the calendar day by literally stopping the clock.

http://www.ccleague.org/i4a/pages/index ... eid=3498#s

There is an important exception to the midnight deadline. The Legislature may actually pass bills after midnight tonight—but only bills that require the approval of two-thirds of the lawmakers of each house. That is to say any bills passed after midnight would need at least some Republican support.

http://www.capitolweekly.net/article.ph ... ywli3lsr8f
Don

Car Knocker
Posse

Postby Kloutier » Fri 09 Sep 2011 7:55 am

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... l-144.html

looks like senate passed it this time :(
People say I should not carry because it's not the Wild West. I say I carry because its much worse. Only 3 people died at the at the O.K. Corral and its a part of our nations history. If 3 people died in a 30 sec shootout today It might not make the news.
Kloutier
Sharp Shooter

Next

Return to Gun Control Issues in the United States and Utah