Utah Guns Forum banner

California ban on OpenCarry fails!

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  RoccoRacer 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It's 3.19 into the video, but it looked to me like the bill to ban open carry passed?? You said that the bill to ban OC failed? Did I misunderstand the ruling?

#4 ·
IchBin said:
A little lost here. 3:19 into the video, or 3:19 remaining? I'm not seeing anything regarding the passing of such legislation or anything that I would consider Hilarity. :huh:
3 hours and 19 minutes into it they discuss the open carry bill.

I am quite confused though. There were a few representatives that gave well thought out arguments apposing the bill. I thought everybody in KA was an idiot. Good to see some light in the darkness there.

#5 ·
I looked around more on the internet, and it looks like the bill to ban OC did fail. That is a big victory for 2A supporters and law abiding citizens in California!

#6 ·
The bill did not pass. It was passed, as in they skipped it. It CAN be reintroduced at a later date, but the bill is very much dead in its current form. This is how I understand it, and I've been proven to be a dolt in the past, so grain of salt and all that.

#7 ·
14freedom said:
I am quite confused though. There were a few representatives that gave well thought out arguments apposing the bill. I thought everybody in KA was an idiot. Good to see some light in the darkness there.
Totally with you there. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I was only able to see about 5 minutes of the video before it would quit loading, lots of goofy stuff going on there. It is good to see that the open carry legislation stalled.

#9 ·
B Cart, the video showed several legislators argue against the bill then the political wranglings that eventually killed the bill for this session. The first attempt was a minor filibuster with multiple arguments against the bill. It was mentioned many times that only one hour remained in the legislative session for the year and it seemed rather obvious that the last speaker was going to use all of his allotted time even though there was much that still needed to be accomplished in that last hour. Next, they proceeded with a number of proposals that would kill it and the one that succeeded was a vote to postpone further debate until later in the session. Since there was less than an hour remaining and many more bills to consider, everyone knew that it was dead for the year. The bill will have to begin at the beginning again if it is to be considered again next year.

#10 ·
Sam Fidler said:
It was mentioned many times that only one hour remained in the legislative session for the year and it seemed rather obvious that the last speaker was going to use all of his allotted time even though there was much that still needed to be accomplished in that last hour.
Fairly frequently, as the legislative clock is nearing midnight on the last day of the session, the California Legislature will pull the plug on the clock at a few minutes to midnight and continue debating and voting on bills, for hours if necessary. The clock is restarted after business has been concluded and the Legislature duly adjourned at the stroke of midnight. It's clear to me that if there was sufficient legislative will to push this bill through, it would have been done and the rest of the legislative business would have been accomplished as well.

#11 ·
Car Knocker said:
Sam Fidler said:
It was mentioned many times that only one hour remained in the legislative session for the year and it seemed rather obvious that the last speaker was going to use all of his allotted time even though there was much that still needed to be accomplished in that last hour.
Fairly frequently, as the legislative clock is nearing midnight on the last day of the session, the California Legislature will pull the plug on the clock at a few minutes to midnight and continue debating and voting on bills, for hours if necessary. The clock is restarted after business has been concluded and the Legislature duly adjourned at the stroke of midnight. It's clear to me that if there was sufficient legislative will to push this bill through, it would have been done and the rest of the legislative business would have been accomplished as well.
Wow! Pulling the plug on the clock like that is like slapping the face of every person in the state! What a way to abuse the trust of the voters, of the citizenry which put you there. This is so wrong, it is abuse of power. Glad it wasn't done this time. Hopefully should this bill come up next legislative session it will be voted against and fail.

#12 ·
Car Knocker said:
Sam Fidler said:
Fairly frequently, as the legislative clock is nearing midnight on the last day of the session, the California Legislature will pull the plug on the clock at a few minutes to midnight and continue debating and voting on bills, for hours if necessary. The clock is restarted after business has been concluded and the Legislature duly adjourned at the stroke of midnight.
Seems like someone who doesn't like a bill that was passed after midnight could go to court and get it struck down. Maybe they're careful not do to that will non-routine bills?

#13 ·
It seems to me that this procedure was used mostly on budgetary bills. Given the size of California's budget and some of the controversial uses the money is put to, I'd think that someone (or group) would have objected strenuously enough by now that the practice would have met a judicial challenge if it was possible. :dunno:

#14 ·
A bit more about the process:

Stop the Clock
The term used to describe the process of continuing legislative business after the passage of a deadline imposed by legislative rule.
http://www.legislativecounsel.ca.gov/po ... he%20Clock

Stop the Clock
The practice of lengthening the hours of the legislative day, irrespective of the passing of the hours of the calendar day by literally stopping the clock.
http://www.ccleague.org/i4a/pages/index ... eid=3498#s

There is an important exception to the midnight deadline. The Legislature may actually pass bills after midnight tonight-but only bills that require the approval of two-thirds of the lawmakers of each house. That is to say any bills passed after midnight would need at least some Republican support.
http://www.capitolweekly.net/article.ph ... ywli3lsr8f

#17 ·
This could be a very good thing, though. Nowhere have they made both OC and CC illegal. Yes, their CC is illegal in virtually all counties. SAYING you allow it but not actually giving out permits to anybody but the richest and most connected is still a ban and SCOTUS isn't (that) stupid. It's a defacto ban.

#18 ·
Kloutier said:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/09/california-senate-open-carry-handguns-assembly-bill-144.html

looks like senate passed it this time :(
:disgusted:
Hopefully this forces the concealed carry issue and they loosen up on the restrictions there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.