I saw this game played on M4Carbine.net and they've kept it going for almost 2 years and gotten over 3,200 posts! I thought it might be fun to play here
The game is fairly simple. Someone posts a word, and then each subsequent poster makes one (and only one) letter change to form a new, valid word. If no one can come up with a new word, the last poster gets a chance. If he can make a new, valid word then he is the winner and gets to choose a new word to start from scratch. If he cannot make a new, valid word then he chooses a new word to start from scratch anyway.
The rules are simple:
1. You can add or subtract or change one and only one letter per turn.
2. Rearranging letters by definition changes more than one letter and is not allowed. E.g., you cannot go from "dog" to "god" because you have changed two letters.
3. You cannot repeat words which have already been used in the same game.
4. You cannot use acronyms or proper nouns.
5. Only English words defined at the free version of www.merriam-webster.com
are valid. If the site says the word is only available in the "free trial" unabridged version of the dictionary, it is not legal. You may use the plural of the last or other previous words.
6. You cannot take two turns in a row. The only exception is if 24hr goes by and no one else has been able to make a new, valid word.
7. You must number your entry and you must quote all of the previous words for the current game. This makes it easier for someone to go back and make sure he's not repeating an already-used word.
So, for example, if you start with ... 1. good.
1. good, 2. god
1. good, 2. god, 3. rod
1. good, 2. god, 3. rod, 4. rode
Or ... 1. hello
1. hello, 2. [auto-filtered]
1. hello, 2. [auto-filtered], 3. help
1. hello, 2. [auto-filtered], 3. help, 4. helps
So I will go ahead and start this one:
Game # 1
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper