Utah Guns Forum banner

Will a government shutdown impact issuing concealed permits?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RustyShackleford 
#1 ·
Since it looks like the Feds are in a stalemate and we're facing a government shutdown, does anybody know what (if any) the impact will be on issuing a CFP? "Essential" personnel will still be reporting for work, but will this include FBI employees that perform the background check (I think they also check fingerprint cards, but I'm not 100% sure)? I turned in my paperwork three and a half weeks ago, so I'm going to be more than a little upset if the shutdown delays the permit.

#4 ·
The just-released CFP instructor newsletter says "Another change involves fingerprints. If an applicant submits fingerprints that are not accepted by the FBI or fails to provide BCI with an additional set of fingerprints, the permit may be denied, suspended or revoked."

Not sure what new law this is referring to, but perhaps a consequence is that FBI check is now required before issuance (rather than the old way of issue if no word back from FBI in reasonable amount of time).

Anybody got the new law handy... ?

#5 ·
I haven't been contacted by BCI (knock on wood) so I'll assume they're happy with my application so far. My hunch is FBI background checks would fall under essential duties (I know the regular agents along with intelligence agencies are classified as such) so hopefully it won't cause any problems. Thanks for the feedback!

#6 ·
With State law having a 60 day or else limit to issue the permit, I would think if the FBI (or Feds) have a problem doing their job, it should not stop the issuance of the permit within the 60 day time table.
The State chooses to do the background check through the FBI. I don't think the FBI check is federally mandated. And even if it were, holding up the issuance (infringing) on our right to protection could get them in trouble.

#7 ·
UtahCFP said:
The just-released CFP instructor newsletter says "Another change involves fingerprints. If an applicant submits fingerprints that are not accepted by the FBI or fails to provide BCI with an additional set of fingerprints, the permit may be denied, suspended or revoked."
"not accepted" would mean that the prints were unreadable by the FBI, it doesn't mean that there was no one there to receive them.

#9 ·
dewittdj said:
Moot question now... shutdown averted at the last minute... http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=14596540
Good thing!....I was afraid Barry and Queen Obama would have to cancel their neverending vacations and the (B+)ATF(+E) would have to stop trafficking Guns to Mexico :dancing:
Resume Spending as Usual...I'm so glad! :ack:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.