Utah Guns Forum banner

NV will recognize AZ permits

35K views 193 replies 60 participants last post by  kdt1970 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The best part is that having a valid Utah CFP satisfies the "firearms safety training program" requirement (E.6.) for an Arizona permit.

[URL=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03112.htm:1ri6zm4c said:
ARS § 13-3112[/URL]":1ri6zm4c]

E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.

2. Is twenty-one years of age or older.

3. Is not under indictment for and has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of a felony unless that conviction has been expunged, set aside or vacated or the applicant's rights have been restored and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

4. Does not suffer from mental illness and has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.

5. Is not unlawfully present in the United States.

6. Has ever satisfactorily completed a firearms safety training program authorized by the department of public safety pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section or has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(a) A certificate, card or document of completion from a firearms safety training program authorized pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section, dated not more than five years earlier than the date of application, that has affixed to it the stamp, signature or seal of the instructor or organization that conducted the program, or a current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or 9 of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

[background=yellow](d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 7 of this section.[/background]

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

[background=yellow]7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.[/background]

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.
(shhh .... nobody tell Nevada)

#8 ·
jobot said:
UtahJarhead said:
Constitutional Carry doesn't mean their permit went away. It just means it's not required.
So you can carry in Arizona with out a permit? But they do have an Arizona ccw permit anyway?
I believe Alaska does the same thing.

#9 ·
jobot said:
So you can carry in Arizona with out a permit? But they do have an Arizona ccw permit anyway?
That's correct. Think about it - if an AZ resident comes to Utah, they wouldn't be able to carry -- hence, having a permit for those who travel makes sense, even if constitutional carry is enacted. I would hope that Utah will do the same thing (if/when consta-carry is enacted here).

In fact, I believe the only state in the nation that does not have some form of a permit is Vermont (which also has constitutional carry).

#11 ·
Sam Fidler said:
I guess that's because AZ has a shooting requirement for their concealed permit. It's one that Ray Charles could pass but they still have one. :roll:
I had to shoot during my CFP class.... and the instructor said it was required. The requirement was so weak that my 13 year old daughter could (and did) shoot well enough to satisfy it on her first ever time picking up a weapon.... but still....

#12 ·
gravedancer said:
I had to shoot during my CFP class.... and the instructor said it was required. The requirement was so weak that my 13 year old daughter could (and did) shoot well enough to satisfy it on her first ever time picking up a weapon.... but still....
That's because a shooting requirement is feel-good legislation. That way, legislators can say, "See, they have to 'qualify' with a firearm before they can get the permit." Same thing goes for Hunter's Safety by the way.

Oh for the days when Constitutional Carry is universal through all 50 states. :(

Utah will have to include a shooting requirement for NV to accept theirs, but I think most people will say that's just one more thing to slow down the process.

#13 ·
Sam Fidler said:
No, Wisconsin and Illinois do not have permits making them the only two states were concealed carry is not allowed in any form.
Ooops. Thanks for the correction. I guess I should have specified: Of the states where you CAN carry a firearm, Vermont is the only one that doesn't have a permit process.

#14 ·
I was thinking of getting a NV permit but now it makes a lot more sense to get the AZ permit and not have to mess with the restrictive NV permit nonsense they put on qualifying with (a) specific firearm type.

#16 ·
Snaggle said:
Question is will NV recognize NON-resident permits from Arizona?
Nevada doesn't differentiate between resident and non-resident permits.

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

*Effective July 1, 2011

In accordance with NRS 202.3689 (effective October 1, 2007) the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arizona*
Arkansas
Kansas
Kentucky*
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Tennessee
Rhode Island
West Virginia

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issue at all times while carrying a firearm.

#20 ·
6. Has ever satisfactorily completed a firearms safety training program authorized by the department of public safety pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section or has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 7 of this section.

#22 ·
Beretta96 said:
Snaggle said:

*Effective July 1, 2011

In accordance with NRS 202.3689 (effective October 1, 2007) the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arizona*
Arkansas
Kansas
Kentucky*
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Tennessee
Rhode Island
West Virginia

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issue at all times while carrying a firearm.
Does Alaska have a shooting requirement for their permit?

#23 ·
UtahCFP said:
Beretta96 said:
Snaggle said:

*Effective July 1, 2011

Alaska
Arizona*
Arkansas
Kansas
Kentucky*
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Tennessee
Rhode Island
West Virginia

Does Alaska have a shooting requirement for their permit?
IIRC they do have a shooting requirement. We will be working on changing NV CCW laws in 2013 so stay tuned. We did get some big changes but we are fighting the NSCA so it's not easy.

#24 ·
I heard back from my Arizona instructor and he is double checking with the DPS if he can teach it outside the state. He said he could not in the past but something was in the works that change that.

He said if he can, he will come to us if the number of participants will cover the travel expenses. He is a good guy so if anyone can work it out, it would be him.

#25 ·
Great news everyone! :dancing: An Arizona instructor, whom I know some us have taken the NRA class from will be able to teach the Arizona permit here in Utah after the 20th of this month. That is when the laws change allowing him to teach outside the state. Other then a few days he has blacked out at the end of July he can do it anytime.

He currently charges $79 for the CCW class in AZ at his facility. If I can ask him with a large number of participants, say 20+, I am sure we can work a group rate being mindful he is traveling from AZ to meet us so he is saving us some travel expenses. Likewise, I can not imagine he willing to come up often so this might be a one time thing. He is an excellent instructor.

He usually holds his class at one of the hotels by the airport, at the International Center with the live fire requirement at the Lee Kay.

I would propose the following dates:

Saturday, July 16th
Saturday, August 13th
Saturday, August 20th

Once get some idea of how many are interested, I will talk details with Doug. Please let me know your vote on a date and if you are a maybe or FOR SURE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.