Which would you prefer?

• Sig 556

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Sig 516

Votes: 2 25.0%

Sig 556 vs. Sig 516

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Snowman 
#1 ·
I need some advice on this subject. I've been saving up cash for a semi-auto rifle and have decided between either the Sig 516 or the Sig 556. In doing my own research on the two and which I would like, I'm leaning towards the Sig 516 patrol. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with either of them, or both, and which would they pick in my situation and why.
Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks for the offer, roseblood, but I'm not ready to make that decision yet. :mrgreen:

Also, I want to throw out that I am considering an AK type weapon. I'm not sure which but I am kind of interested in giving an AK a try since I'm familiar with the AR system and I'd be interested in trying something different.

#5 ·
nogs said:
Thanks for the offer, roseblood, but I'm not ready to make that decision yet. :mrgreen:

Also, I want to throw out that I am considering an AK type weapon. I'm not sure which but I am kind of interested in giving an AK a try since I'm familiar with the AR system and I'd be interested in trying something different.
You'll love the feel of an AK-style weapon. I have a Romanian-built version, and I can truthfully say that weapon has been fired while full of mud and had NO problems. LOL

MichaelD said:
Neither. For the prices I'm seeing for those two, I'd get a BCM or Daniel Defense or even a Colt.
Michael, I have a Colt Defender and can't compare the actions between the two. The Colt, while extremely reliable, just feels loose compared to the Sig.

#6 ·
I have a 556 and would pick it over ANY other rifle (of the type).

They are smooth, reliable, very easy to maintain and very accurate.

I haven't yet had any experience with the 516, so I won't say it isn't best for you, just that you really won't be disappointed with the 556.

I also have an M16 A1, I would take the 556 over it everyday. The SIG is more accurate, more reliable and much esier to maintain.

--Edited for clarity and additional info--

#7 ·
I have a Sig556, its a great gun, as long as you throw away the crap factory mags. Trigger is super smooth and I like the fact that I can fold the stock and throw the gun into my backpack. I have probably put 1500-2000 rounds through it and haven't really cleaned it yet (other than cleaning off the factory grease when I first got it), and have had zero malfunctions that weren't mag related.

I also like the safety a lot more than an AR safety (it rotates 45 degrees instead of the AR's 90 degrees). I also like that you can charge the gun in your shooting stance since the handle is on the side like an AK.

The only downside that I can think of is that its not an AR. There are small differences that will make you pause or hesitate when going back and forth between the 556 and an AR since a couple of things are in different places. If that is a concern, the 516 may be for you.

I haven't shot or handled the 516, so I can't speak on it, but if it is as smooth as the 556 and if the gas system is as reliable as the 556, then I would say you can't go wrong with either one.

#8 ·
A few questions on the 556. Can the classic style handguards be replaced with a quad rail forearm system and can the folding butt stock be switched out for an adjustable one?

#9 ·
nogs said:
A few questions on the 556. Can the classic style handguards be replaced with a quad rail forearm system and can the folding butt stock be switched out for an adjustable one?
Sig actually has a model with a quad rail and I have seen others with after-market rails; the folding stock is adjustable.

#10 ·
roseblood said:
nogs said:
Sig actually has a model with a quad rail and I have seen others with after-market rails; the folding stock is adjustable.
THIS

Mine has rails and a folding/adjustable stock.

#11 ·
nogs said:
Yes you can replace the Swiss style handguard with a quad rail, if you get the Swiss style classic handguards and want the factory Sig (SWAT) quadrail, Sig will make you send the gun in and they will replace the handguard for you. There are also a few good aftermarket rails that you can switch out yourself. Or, if you want to save money and weight, Sig makes some rails that you can attach to the Sig Swiss style classic handguards which will weigh a lot less than the full quad rail (it can get heavy with the quad rail).

Like roseblood and sigmanluke said, the folding stock is also 3-position adjustable.

Here is a pic of the Swiss style rails, you can get them for around $20

#12 ·
Cool. I have to say that the 556 is looking better than I previously thought. All of the personal experience expressed here has helped me differentiate between the two. Thanks all.

#13 ·
nogs said:

I'd go with the AK first, then the 556.
Another choice for trying something different, the keltec RFB looks very fun and intresting to me. And it's in the price range. Just saying...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.