Wolfman wrote:There are plenty of people who do that... that's why you never find very much brass. I've seen people out at common shooting spots in Tooele county who just walk along, picking up everything they find, and tossing back what's not valuable. And these aren't people who are there to shoot... they're just collecting brass.
I missed this comment, back in November.
I probably appear to be one of those "non-shooter" guys, when I'm scrounging. But, I only scrounge when I'm on my way out, after a shooting trip.
The gravel pit south of Stockton, in particular, is a place I hit every time I'm in the area. Even though that means I just packed up my own guns and I'm heading back to the highway by-way of the gravel pit, I probably appear to be a greedy, non-shooting scrounger to anyone that happens to be there. About 80% of the time, that gravel pit is a complete bust, because there are too many people or some one else has cleaned it out. But, the other 20% of the time... it's a gold mine.
Back in April, actually, I came home with one of the 18 gallon Rubbermaid storage totes overflowing
with brass, and a second 18 gallon tote nearly filled with 12 ga hulls that were worth picking up (there's lots of low-grade crap out there, that I don't touch). The brass tote, alone, had more than 180 lbs of brass for right around 16,000 cases.
A couple weeks later, we managed to get another 65 lbs of brass (about 5,800 pieces) and about 600 decent 12 ga hulls. I didn't have a tote for that second trip, so we had to shovel
it out of the back of my truck.
There's another place I hit along Hwy 73, but I won't give that one up. I have NEVER seen another scrounger pick anything up there, because it's a really odd
location for some one to shoot (safe, though). And, no one shoots within about 1/2 mile of the spot, in any direction. So, most people wouldn't expect to find brass there. The same person or group of people routinely leave nice, neat piles of brass for me. It's where I get my supply of stuff that's a little less common: .38 Super, .357 Sig, nickel .45 Auto, .400 Cor-Bon, 10mm Auto, and Winchester 'wadcutter' .38 Special brass.
I mine for lead when I can, but most locations don't yield much.
I need a new signature. This one sucks.