Utah Guns Forum banner

Mosin gunsmithing needed....

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  UnderratedF00l 
#1 ·
Yep, you read right: Mosin.

I bought a bunch of those new unfired fat CZ machine gun barrels chambered for 7.62x54R and have the receivers to make some pretty nice target rifles out of them.

If any gunsmith is able to do a little unusual work on this project, please message me. The mosin community Is looking for a good smith who can do many of these, so once you have one done, the other Mosinheads will follow!

Here's the barrel below a stock barrel:

Here's the barrel screwed into a receiver.

What most people do is have the super thick part lathed down (the blue area) and a sleeve (green area) made over the un-blued part for the barrel and receiver to shoulder against.
This sleeve serves 3 purposes:
-It covers the unblued area and smooths out the profile.
-It is what shoulders the barrel base to the receiver
-Its length is used to correctly headspace the action. By using the correct length sleeve, the extractor timing and head-spacing can be achieved.

If you know anyone able to take this on, please let me know. I have the starting dimensions of the sleeve of course.
Here's a few finished projects, and some reporting sub-moa accuracy with cheap mosin ammo! I make replica Finnish 28/76 target stocks so this project would be perfect to be bedded into one!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.