Utah Guns Forum banner

Concealed carry while wearing a backpack

8K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  ennis 
#1 ·
I would like to carry concealed while hiking. 80% of the time I am wearing a full size backpack with a waistbelt (ie not a little daypack). I would be carrying a Glock 29, any suggestions for a carry method that would allow for quick access to my gun, if needed? :dunno:

#2 ·
I think one of these would work well, but I actually just use a regular low-ride belt holster. I tend to put my pack's waistbelt above my regular belt anyway, so it works just fine for me.

Oh... of course neither of the options I suggested are really "concealed". If concealment is important (which it can be if you're on a scout outing), I use a SmartCarry. The accessibility isn't great, since I have to release my pack's waistbelt before I can get to the gun, but it's not as bad as carrying it in the pack.

#3 ·
I was looking for the same thing for fly fishing. If you want to keep the pistol on you and not your backpack you have just a couple options.

A shoulder holster is one option. This is the option I went with for fishing in wader as the pistol remains accessible but out of the way of my fly vest. This option would work well for backpacking as long as the holster straps don't interfere with the backpack.

Your second option and the one I would use is a mini chest rig. I wanted this to work for fishing but my XD 40 in a Serpa holster attached to a molle plate was just to much width once I put on my fly vest. Depending on the position I wore the chest rig I looked like I had a pair of knockers or a monster belly and ether way it made accessing my fly vest a pain. For backpacking it would be ideal as you have room for your pistol and mag plus other items like a compass, light, gps ect. I have the Tactical Tailor Mini MAV rig.

#5 ·
When I fly fish I always carry in a smart carry. It's still not the most ideal access, but it stays out of the way of my vest etc., and I can still get to it relatively quickly.

For back packs, I've tried a couple different things. I hunt alot and always carry while hunting. Depending on the pack that you have, you can sometimes use certain IWB holsters that have a clip, and then attach them to the waist strap.(I'll try upload a picture later to explain).

I think smart carry is a great idea if you really want to conceal, and if not you can use a Serpa holster and just put the waist strap above where the gun goes into the holster. Someone mentioned a chest rig, and that might work, but I wear binoculars on my chest, so that wouldn't work too well for me.

I hope that helps a little, and let us know what you find out. I'm always looking for a better solution :D

#7 ·
Thanks for asking this I have a G29 too and have been thinking about the same questions! I like to back pack and I didn't want to do a thigh holster... more and more divegeek is convincing me of the SmartCarry. I should just break down and buy one!

#8 ·
cablecutter said:
Thanks for asking this I have a G29 too and have been thinking about the same questions! I like to back pack and I didn't want to do a thigh holster... more and more divegeek is convincing me of the SmartCarry. I should just break down and buy one!
SmartCarry is a nice way to go. I'm sure someone on this board would gladly let you try one out so you can see how it feels before you buy one. I would let you try mine, but it's a small one for my P238, and I don't know if your G29 would fit... Smart carry isn't my number one carry preference, but if you want to deep conceal, it works very well.

#9 ·
I have a smart carry and use it at the gym 3 nights a week, its great. I would not want to backpack with it on however. Its slow enough getting to the smart carry with sweet pants on let alone having a waist belt to deal with. Its also kinda hot and sticky under the smart carry after a while at the gym, I would hate to see how much hotter it would be after hiking all day. I have enough trouble keeping the waist belt of my pack from digging into my body so I don't need the smart carry in the way. As for fly fishing with a smart carry while its out of the way I would have to tell any would be problems to wait just a minute while I remove my fly vest, unbuckle the waders, unbuckle my wading belt, drop the waders and pull out the top of my pants before I can get to the pistol. For that matter why not just were my pistol as usual in an MTAC holster. I guess all I am saying is think about your options and chose wisely or end up with a holster drawer full of unused holsters.

#10 ·
I don't think SmartCarry is such a good idea. With the waist strap, it's going to either be competing with the smart carry, or making it very difficult to get to. They usually ride near the top of the pants which means you'd have to undo the waist strap to get to the smart carry and your pants. I still think a front facing fanny pack will be your best bet since it can sling over top of your backpack. There are also any number of bags you can get that would attach to the backpacks, particularly of the molle variety.

#11 ·
I cannot conceal when I backpack. Of course, when I have on a backpack it's generally holding 30-35 pounds of camping gear and I have a carbine rifle slung over my shoulder. The his straps of the pack generally interfere with carrying a pistol of ANY sort/size near my waist.

That said, I have carried openly while backpacking many times. I place the pistol in my IWB holster and the slide it onto the chest strap of my pack. It's VERY accessible.

#12 ·
tapehoser said:
I have a carbine rifle slung over my shoulder.
:thumbsup:
tapehoser said:
I have carried openly while backpacking many times.
:thumbsup:
If you must conceal then a fanny pack might be a something to consider; it doesn't have to be pink or light blue like the one you wore in the 80's - plenty of manufactures offer black nylon or whatever...

#14 ·
I go with a bandoleer style holster from "cross fire". I suppose I could semi conceal it under an unbuttoned shirt, but if I am out and about in the backcountry I don't really care if some hippie takes offense. It also converts from the bandoleer to a hip holster.
I am about to sew another D ring on the bottom so I can anchor it on to a belt ring to keep it from moving, although it may not be really necessary especially under the weight of a pack.

Here is mine
http://crossfiregear.com/product.php?id=2
It will hold my GP100 as well as my M329.

#15 ·
No real experience re: recreational hiking, but when I'm gonna be going tactical I prefer the leg-drop holster. I've tried chest rigs on the LBV but it's not as quick or easy to get to. Leg drop puts it below any pack waist belts, and right at hand level for quick access. Of course that's all open carry.

#17 ·
Are you set on CC? Or would you consider OC?

Around town, I almost always CC... But when I am backpacking/hiking, I always OC. Its just too much of a hastle trying to CC when every single of my CC spots is covered by the backpack/waist straps.

Lately, I've been using a Blackhawk Serpa with the paddle attachment and just slipping the paddle onto the waist strap of my rucksack. If I take the rucksack off, it takes about 5-10 seconds to pop the holster off the rucksack waist strap and put it onto my pants.

Another option is a drop leg holster, I have one, and I've used it twice... I'm not the biggest fan of those.

#19 ·
I like the idea of the safepacker. I don't like the attachments.

I think I'd go with that safepacker idea, but instead, use velcro on the holster and the shoulder strap. Hang the gun upside down so that opening the holster drops the gun right into my hand, ready to go.

#20 ·
I nearly always OC when backpacking. I have chosen to conceal a couple of times because I was with Boy Scouts and going to be around lots of other BSA leaders I didn't know. I used the SmartCarry then. It works, but it's definitely not very accessible. Plus I generally prefer to carry a pretty good-sized .357 magnum in the back country, and my SmartCarry is sized for my XD9SC. I think the safepacker would be a great option, except that the safepacker itself would be quite visible, leading to questions that I'd rather not answer.

#22 ·
Rupper said:
divegeek said:
I have chosen to conceal a couple of times because I was with Boy Scouts
I have the same problem and would love to figure it out. Most of the time it is in my back pack which is not very accessible. When I am not with the scouts, I OC.
I usually OC with the scouts, too. It's never bothered any of the boys, or their parents. I do worry about it when I get around a lot of other scouters, though. You never know when you'll run into one that takes the BSA's stance on the question seriously.

#23 ·
divegeek said:
Rupper said:
divegeek said:
I have chosen to conceal a couple of times because I was with Boy Scouts
I have the same problem and would love to figure it out. Most of the time it is in my back pack which is not very accessible. When I am not with the scouts, I OC.
I usually OC with the scouts, too. It's never bothered any of the boys, or their parents. I do worry about it when I get around a lot of other scouters, though. You never know when you'll run into one that takes the BSA's stance on the question seriously.
You are lucky. We have several parents that would not let their sons come if they even knew a firearm was present. CC'ed, OC'ed, locked in a car, it doesn't matter. After all, you never know when the gun will jump up and start shooting on its own... :disgusted:

#24 ·
Do parents not realize that scouting original intent was to prepare boys for service in the army? Seems odd to me. Even in California guns were a normal part of scouting, actually it seems like being a boy scout was the only way you could shoot recreationally.

#25 ·
RoccoRacer said:
Do parents not realize that scouting original intent was to prepare boys for service in the army? Seems odd to me. Even in California guns were a normal part of scouting, actually it seems like being a boy scout was the only way you could shoot recreationally.
Scouting has changed quite a bit. If you abide by the scout rules outlined in the Guide to Safe Scouting, you are very limited with what you can do with regards to firearms. This is especially true for the scouts (12-13 year olds). The Ventures (16+ years old) have more leaway, but not like what we did when I was in scouts years ago. Failure to abide by the Guide to Safe Scouting means you do not get a tour permit and have no insurance. Furthermore, any type of firearm activities have to have NRA credentialed leaders present.

Parents are a different story. There are some parents in our unit who would be fine with firearm related activities. Others are very anti-gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.