Utah Guns Forum banner

Just ordered my first reloading press

18K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  NormanXDm 
#1 ·
Just ordered a Lee Loadmaster 223 reloading press, a Frankford Arsenal reloading scale and a bullet puller to get me started. Will be getting my tumbler and media within the next week I think. I'm getting there! Oh I also got The ABCs of Reloading book to hopefully help me get started.

I know I still have a few more things to get before I'm ready to go... Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

#3 ·
Unfortunately I don't really know anyone very well that has a progressive press... So it's mostly books, YouTube, and articles for me.

#5 ·
XSlevinn said:
Unfortunately I don't really know anyone very well that has a progressive press... So it's mostly books, YouTube, and articles for me.
Where do you live? I can offer a couple hours time to discuss the basics if you're in the Salt Lake Valley.

#7 ·
#9 ·
It came with some dies and whatnot. Since my last post I have also gotten calipers. All my brass is tumbled and very very shiny.

I have a barrel length gauge on its way. Should be here Friday. That way I can check what the chamber length of my guns are so I know if I really need to trim or not.

Anyone have good methods on how to dry the inside of 223 and other bottlenecked rounds?

I think all I need to do is now get the components and actually start reloading. I just have to figure out which powder to use with which bullets and what not so I have an idea of what to look for.

#10 ·
That's the fun part of reloading, figuring out what your gun likes, powder, bullets, case length ect......get ready to become addicted

#11 ·
Dry them with heat. I put my 9mm on a cookie sheet on paper towels and set it in top of a heating pad. Some put it in an oven on low low setting. I'm sure it works but seems like it would be a costly way to do it.

#12 ·
XSlevinn said:
It came with some dies and whatnot. Since my last post I have also gotten calipers. All my brass is tumbled and very very shiny.

I have a barrel length gauge on its way. Should be here Friday. That way I can check what the chamber length of my guns are so I know if I really need to trim or not.
Trim all your rifle cases to minimum case length for best accuracy and uniformity.

Anyone have good methods on how to dry the inside of 223 and other bottlenecked rounds?
Don't get them wet in the first place. If you are using a tumbler, media and maybe a little polish like Nu-Finish there is no reason that your cases should see any liquid unless it's raining while shooting. If you do have some wet cases pop the primer and let them set on a towel until dry or apply a little heat to speed up the process.

I think all I need to do is now get the components and actually start reloading. I just have to figure out which powder to use with which bullets and what not so I have an idea of what to look for.

#13 ·
D-FIN said:
Dry them with heat. I put my 9mm on a cookie sheet on paper towels and set it in top of a heating pad. Some put it in an oven on low low setting. I'm sure it works but seems like it would be a costly way to do it.
Would a cookie sheet on a heating pad heat it up enough to dry them? Are you talking like a heat pad for muscles? Just doesn't seem like that would be enough?

Muddy, these loads are just for plinking really. Not precision loading. I don't know that it's worth it to take all that time to trim them if they don't need to be?

I wet tumble my cases. water, drop of dish soap and a dash of lemi shine in a tumbler for a few hours.

#14 ·
Or put that cookie sheet in the oven at its lowest setting for a while. As those of us whose bare skin have encountered a freshly ejected shell know, brass gets quite hot when a cartridge is fired and can certainly withstand the much lower temperature of an oven at its lowest setting (my oven is about 165 degrees at its lowest).

#15 ·
XSlevinn said:
D-FIN said:
Would a cookie sheet on a heating pad heat it up enough to dry them? Are you talking like a heat pad for muscles? Just doesn't seem like that would be enough?

Muddy, these loads are just for plinking really. Not precision loading. I don't know that it's worth it to take all that time to trim them if they don't need to be?

I wet tumble my cases. water, drop of dish soap and a dash of lemi shine in a tumbler for a few hours.
seems to work pretty well for my 9mm.

#16 ·
If you are crimping your cases then a uniform case length is the way to go. I only crimp rounds meant for the AR's but I trim everything. I found that I can run all my cases through my RCBS case trimmer chucked up to a drill faster then measuring each case and sorting which ones need trimmed then trimming the long ones. The only case length I measure are the ones that don't get anything trimmed off them in the case trimmer to see how short they are. I do use the RCBS three way cutter head in my trimmer so the cases get trimmed along with inside and outside deburred all at once.

#17 ·
muddy said:
If you are crimping your cases then a uniform case length is the way to go. I only crimp rounds meant for the AR's but I trim everything. I found that I can run all my cases through my RCBS case trimmer chucked up to a drill faster then measuring each case and sorting which ones need trimmed then trimming the long ones. The only case length I measure are the ones that don't get anything trimmed off them in the case trimmer to see how short they are. I do use the RCBS three way cutter head in my trimmer so the cases get trimmed along with inside and outside deburred all at once.
Tell me more about this. So you just put a trimming device on your drill and it's set to put every case to a certain length? You don't need to measure? So in theory I could set the trimmer to 1.750 and put all my brass through it and it will trim them all to 1.750 no matter the difference in length before I trim them?

#18 ·
XSlevinn said:
Tell me more about this. So you just put a trimming device on your drill and it's set to put every case to a certain length? You don't need to measure? So in theory I could set the trimmer to 1.750 and put all my brass through it and it will trim them all to 1.750 no matter the difference in length before I trim them?
Lee has a similar system, I think (I've never used the RCBS). The case length gauge/holder is caliber-specific, so you measure by putting the cutter on the case. If it hits, you spin it and trim, if not, you move on to the next one. You can trim them by hand, or put it on your drill for really large batches of brass. You only need one cutter & lock stud. You can get a one caliber set for ~$15.

#19 ·
I may have to get one of these. If it's that easy to where I can just set a length and forget it and just trim all cases real quick, I would definitely do that. I heard of the World's Finest Trimmer and was considering that but it sounds like these tools you guys are talking about might be just as good?

#20 ·
XSlevinn said:
I may have to get one of these. If it's that easy to where I can just set a length and forget it and just trim all cases real quick, I would definitely do that. I heard of the World's Finest Trimmer and was considering that but it sounds like these tools you guys are talking about might be just as good?
I don't know how much better a WFT(2?) is than a Lee or RCBS trimmer, but it doesn't look to be different enough to justify the huge difference in price unless I'm missing something. From watching the video, the process looks almost exactly like the process I use with the Lee trimmer.

I think he said the WFT measures from the shoulder. The Lee case gauge measures all the way to the lock stud. I don't know which way is better, but the WFT might be a fraction of a second faster. Sometimes it can take an instant to get the case gauge through the flash hole. Ok, the WFT probably is just a little faster. I have to slide a case into a shell holder, then push the gauge rod down the neck. With the WFT, you just hold the brass in your hand. The Lee system has you use the drill to turn the brass while you old the cutter and length gauge. You say potato.

The only thing I don't like about the Lee system is that it takes a tool to change calibers for cheapskates. The cutter and lock stud is only $7 retail, so normal people would probably just buy one for each caliber-specific length gauge rod. But I haven't done that yet, and I can't tighten the case gauge rod onto the cutter (or take it off) by hand. I have to use pliers. Once the rod is tightened on, it's a caliber-specific measuring/cutting device. No adjustments required, or even possible.

#21 ·
Cool thanks for the info. I may just have to get one of those then. I'll look them up tonight when I get home.

#22 ·
Not trying to rain on your parade but the last time I reloaded on a Lee Loadmaster I found them to be very finicky. I would have steered you toward a Lee Turret, Hornady LNL, or Dillon 550 and you may want to do more research before taking the Loadmaster out of the box.

How I reload 223:

Tumble cases in corn cob for about an hour.

Tumble the clean cases in a plastic bag with a little homemade liquid lube. Just enough to get them slick. Not too much or the lube will build up in the die and dent the case shoulder. The Dillon Rapidlube is good stuff. I have heard mixed results with Hornady One Shot.

Setup a sizing die in my RCBS Rockchucker and size/deprime. I am careful about how much I bump the shoulder back and measure cases so that I don't bump it any more than needed. More or less depending on if I am running it through a semi-auto or bolt action. For most applications, following the manual and adjusting the sizing die down to the shellholder will do.

Remove primer crimps in military brass with a custom ground reamer and deburring tool. The Hornady tool works okay for this but I like my tool better.

Trim cases using a Lee Trimmer, Possum Hollow, or RCBS depending on the precision that I am looking for. For bolt action I try not to get carried away with trimming too much off but for the AR I just trim to minimum. Depending on the type of crimp, if any, trimming can get critical. Inconsistent trim length can cause issues when crimping with a taper die. I learned this lesson the hard way when my crimp die was actually pushing back the shoulder on the longer cases during the crimp process. I believe Lee and the new RCBS AR crimping dies use a collet method to eliminate this issue.

To remove the case lube I wash the cases in a liquid cleaner consisting of water, dish soap, and Lemi-Shine crystals or lemon juice. Rinse completely, shake out in a towel, then allow to dry inside and out. Usually overnight.

For precision ammo, I finish the process of loading on the Rockchucker but if the ammo is going to be used for practice or plinking then I setup a Dillon 550 to seat the primer, fill with powder, and seat the bullet with a slight crimp. I have never had bullet setback issues with 55 grain or higher bullets in an AR by doing it this way, even without a cannelure. Ammo made on the Dillon will usually shoot under an inch at 100 while I have shot .25" groups with ammo loaded on the Rockchucker.

Be patient and always double check. 8)

#23 ·
MarshallDodge said:
Not trying to rain on your parade but the last time I reloaded on a Lee Loadmaster I found them to be very finicky. I would have steered you toward a Lee Turret, Hornady LNL, or Dillon 550 and you may want to do more research before taking the Loadmaster out of the box.
Yeah, I love my Lee Classic Turret, and a lot of Lee products, but I agree.

This is an interesting site for Loadmaster owners:
http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/

#24 ·
The higher end presses were out of my price range... I had been talking to Nick Moyes who had been using a Loadmaster and he said he liked it and it worked well for him so I just went with it, so I guess we'll see.

#25 ·
For that Lee trimmer that you linked, Manithree, are you required to remove the old primer before you can use that trimmer setup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.