Utah Guns Forum banner

Dash Cam Recommendations?

50K views 93 replies 33 participants last post by  Wrangler_dave9 
#1 ·
Does anyone here use dash cams and could make a Recommendation?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=dash+cam

I'll start researching them tonight but wanted to see if any UCC members had experience using them.
I would like good audio and decent Video (enough to identify license plates and reasonable facial features) nothing HD fancy.
Also a decent memory capacity, that auto writes over itself when needed.
Some in the $30-$50 seem pretty reasonable for what i'm after.
Wanting rear and front dash cams.

If no one here uses them, i'll research and buy and write a review.

#2 ·
http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2013/07 ... rance.html

Two short weeks ago, a friend in law enforcement recommended buying a in-vehicle DVR (digital video recorder). I looked at the price of the K6000 Vehicle DVR Car Recorder that he recommended from personal experience and impulse bought it along with a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC card. Under $70 out the door, delivered with Amazon Prime. I liked the price, the night vision recording, the auto on/auto off feature when plugged into the vehicle, and the G-shock sensor that automatically saves the recording in case of an accident. The device also records audio with a built in microphone.

Set up was minimal and easy. Basically, mount the device, insert the Micro SD card, power on, set the time and date, and GO! Playback using the SD card adaptor worked flawlessly on a Windows 7 desktop and Macbook Pro. I can very easily turn it towards any angle I want to record.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABW ... ratio07-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZ ... ratio07-20

And now a sample of what it can produce:

Today, I was driving to work and a Cadillac veered across three lanes of traffic to make an illegal U-turn. I braked in time but can't help being thankful for clear cut, incontrovertible evidence of the other driver's wrongdoing and recklessness.

Edited to add that this is not my blog.

#3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation i will look into that model it appears to have everything i need, and for the right price :)

Features:http://www.carcameradvr.com/k6000-hd-1080p-vehicle-camera-car-video-recorder-p-146.html

1. Color video recording with sound
2. Photo taking
3. Video recording with high resolution (Full HD 1080P)
4. HDMI output for watching videos on your HDTV
5. 140°wide angle lens
6. Two bright LED lights for dark Environment and night use
7. Motion detect function and cycle recording
8. 4X Digital zoom
9. 2.7" LCD Screen for video/photo display
10. File protect function, when the File protect button is pressed when recording, the file can't be deleted from the DVR.
11. Support TF/Micro SD card up to 8GB (No card is included in our price)
Specs:http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Recorder-Camera-Traffic-Dashboard/dp/B00ABW6L5K#productDetails
Sensor:5MP CMOS
LCD:2.7inch LTPS
Lens: 140 degree A+ grade High Resolution Wide Angle Lens
Night Vision: Support(2 lights)
Video Resolution: 1920*1080(1080P Full HD) 1440*1080(1080P) 1280*720(720P) 848*480(WVGA) 640*480(VGA) 320*240 (QVGA)
Video Format: AVI/M-JPEG, Audio: AAC
Photo Format: JPEG
Photo Resolution: 12M/10M/8M/5M/3M/2MHD/VGA/1.3M
Media Storage: Internal Memory 64MB
TF card: up to 32GB
Optional Language:English/French/Spanish/Portugal/Germany/Italian/Simplified Chinese/Traditional Chinese/Russian/Japanese/Korean
Interface:support USB&HDMI
TV Output:pAL/NTSC
Audio:Built in microphone/speaker
Battery:Built-in battery, 600mAH
Gift Box Size:17.5*13.5*8.5cm
Accessories:User Manual x 1
USB cable x 1
car charger x 1
mount framer x 1
Manual x 1

#5 ·
#6 ·
UtahJarhead said:
dewittdj said:
http://dashcam.com/search_caf.php?s...3kLtDqZNMSGQCchQJKuvkyjN9j-g3XCgELIvcj-Y86Cmc
... or simply enter dashcam.com into any search engine. IMHO, the digital models are the best bet.
Or not. :)
This domain has recently been listed in the marketplace at domainnamesales.com. Click here to inquire
Hate when that happens... it was redirecting to here, anyways: http://www.carcameradirect.com/?no1selling-dash cam

#7 ·
I have a cheap camera that I have setup as a dash-cam. I can't recommend using it as a dash-cam, because the field of view is a bit narrow, and it must be turned on and off manually.

That said, just simply HAVING a dash-cam has been a serious investment in piece of mind!

The camera I bought was a variation of one of these 808 models:

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Record-Dri ... rds=808+16

I bought it with the intention of using it for aerial video on my R/C planes. I've done plenty of that, but it is otherwise a dash-cam.

#11 ·
One could also use the Mobius Action camera. It can be bought for $75. It can take 1080p 30fps and be set up to record when powered up via USB taking overlapping and recycling segments of set periods.

I use one as an HD camcorder on my EVIL Drone! :twisted:
(actually, it's an RC UAV, aka quadrotor)

Nick

#12 ·
I have a GoPro mounted on my windshield. I asked about in car dvrs awhile back because of situations just like NY. The roads I drive on people don't car and crap, mufflers and more fall out of vehicles. I really wanted to find one that records 360 on car. Day 1 owning my X5 I would have loved to have one. Had someone put two door dings, front door and back door, the first time parking at work.

#13 ·
I use a BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD. Works great, is on when the car is on -- set and forget. I also put in a Power Magic Pro, so the camera will record for several hours after the car is turned off.

The GoPro is itself something a goof might find enticing enough to smash your window to get to. My camera is as discreet as I could make it (behind rear view mirror) and it is permanently mounted.

#14 ·
When this thread first came about I started looking into them and trying to decide which one I should get. Within that time I was nearly involved in a head on collision, the vehicle traveled across the yellow line and actually hit the semi's trailer in front of me, I was able to avoid the collision even though the car spun directly in front of me. I imidiately ordered an Abeo HDVR-150 from amazon and have been using it since last September. You can see it Here, it is disguised as a regular rear view mirror and clips over the top of your existing mirror. It has came down in price since I bought it and is very reasonable. I usually leave mine running 24hrs. But if you do unplug it, there is a parking feature that if the vehicle gets jarred it will turn on and record off an internal battery. It resides in my work truck, so when I get in other vehicles I feel like i'm missing it. I put a 32gb SD card in it, and when running in HD it only takes a couple hours to fill the card and start rewriting, but when I do pull it off the card and transfer it to a computer the quality is great.

#15 ·
I have this model, purchased since my August post:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-DVR-FHD590 ... s+dash+cam

Works brilliantly, though you'll want to change some of the unit settings when first installing it.

I should post some of my videos. I got in a gnarly crash the DAY AFTER MY LAST POST IN THIS THREAD, if you can believe that! Luckily, the crash showed my driving was not at fault, and that it was mechanical failure. That helped with the highway patrol write-up and with the insurance company.

Exactly a week after my crash, I was on Legacy Hwy with a UDOT truck just decided to U-turn on the highway without looking too closely for cars, and knocked a Honda into the shoulder. I got that on camera, and the Honda owner, the UHP trooper, and the UDOT supervisor were quite happy that I did. The UDOT driver was rather less happy, as reality didn't jive with his rather "creative" story he told the UHP Trooper, not realizing I had a HUGE smug grin on my face because I knew I had footage, and hadn't told anyone yet :)

Edit: EVERY should have a rescue-tool of some sort to cut seat-belts and break car windows. One dedicated to the task. You will NOT be breaking a window very easily without an appropriate tool.

#19 ·
bltdonahue said:
GK_ said:
What was the story the UDOT driver gave?
That the Honda driver was speeding, texting on his phone, and changed lanes into the UDOT truck.
OHHHHHHHH SNAP! Pooping on that dude's story would have made the entire price of the dashcam worthwhile.

#20 ·
bltdonahue said:
GK_ said:
That the Honda driver was speeding, texting on his phone, and changed lanes into the UDOT truck.
whoa.... that means it's provable that the UDOT gave a false statement to the Police (I'm presuming that was who he was speaking to when describing the incident).

#21 ·
bltdonahue said:
GK_ said:
And he was able to see this all from the high perch he had on the drivers side of the truck thru the bed and the passenger side rear axle?

#22 ·
JoeSparky said:
bltdonahue said:
GK_ said:
And he was able to see this all from the high perch he had on the drivers side of the truck thru the bed and the passenger side rear axle?
That's the weird part, is that the controls (steering wheel) are usually on the right side of the truck, so the driver should have truly had a great view. I'm no crash investigator but my line of work is centered on them so I like to think I am sometimes :lol:. So I think the operator seen the car and was planning on making a mad dash for the right hand emergency lane and expected he could make it "assuming" the car stayed left. I'm not siding with the UDOT driver but will say that if the car would have been paying more attention he could have well avoided the crash by seeing a utility vehicle in the emergency turnaround trying to make access and slowed up or moved over at which time the truck could have made his not so bright straight cut across both lanes or been forced to hold since the car moved right. That said I use those "emergency" turnarounds and they can be very dangerous, I emphasize emergency for that reason and which is why I only use them when responding TO accidents/crashes and never after cleanup and departure. The UDOT driver deffinitly made poor judgment and should have taken responsibly, BUT I totally believe that with good awareness and courtesy that this could have been avoided pretty easily.

#23 ·
In any case, the Honda driver and UHP trooper were both thrilled I had the footage. I wish I had it earlier last year as I could have busted a red light runner who hit a guy. The light running was too close to call, but footage would have made it very straight forward. It's what inspired me to get the camera, and it's paid off twice now in just over a year.

#24 ·
Normalcy bias certainly fits here. Honda driver full expected udot driver to wait for clearing in traffic. When the truck didn't he was first surprised and in denial. Yep, the Honda driver could have been more observant but he was the one with the right of way.

#25 ·
Joe is right, and there is no way that truck could have shot that gap. If the Honda driver had just stood on his brakes and locked up he most likely still would have clipped the truck.

Rather the driver did exactly as taught in drivers Ed, he evaluated his options. The truck was on the left at the beginning of the reaction period so that route was closed. The truck was apparently turning into his lane, straight ahead was closed, so he moved to the right only to have the truck move with him. Those trucks are NOT emergency vehicles like police or ambulances and do not get special right of way, nir do cars have to pull over and stop to let one pass. We move over and slow when they are stopped, but we are not required to let them jump out in front of us. Thru traffic has the right of way.

In no universe was the truck driver in the right, or the Honda in the wrong.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4

#26 ·
Ya I wasn't trying to exert any wrong doing of any part of the honda driver and agree that the UDOT truck had no purpose using that turnaround. In fact In full speed traffic as was in this instance it is almost always quicker to just go to the next offramp and flip there. My main point until I rambled on was that I'm pretty sure that specific truck is operated from the right side of the cab and he did have a clear view of what was coming, so he just clearly wasn't thinking straight or thought his sweeper was actually a corvette that could get the speed to pull off that maneuver. Any how you know that feeling you get when your not carrying a firearm? I get a minor similar feeling when I drive vehicles without a dash cam. I know it's silly. But it gives me a sense of security especially since I drive a company vehicle that if something is to happen it won't be my word against their word. I don't pull all the video off it and store it or even save the stupid driver portions, it's a tool that is in my truck that I really never care to use it. However it is there in the case that I do need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.