Utah Guns Forum banner

Damascus Knife

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ShooterScott 
#1 ·
Project Damascus:

Over the past few years I had been fascinated by the beautiful steel I was seeing in Damascus knives. After looking and stewing for a long time, I decided I needed a project. I found a source of Damascus knife blades that had good quality reviews, I decided on a style and placed an order. Upon receiving the awaited blades, I was very pleased …. they looked awesome.

The blades arrived and were everything I hoped for, so a short project was begun, which required creating a handle (scales), pinning and gluing the scales to the blade, then finishing the wood. Once the materials were on hand, the work began. The project and results are shown in the attached pictures.

The walnut was finished with several hand rubbed coats of gun stock oil.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Great job, Terry. Love the craftwork and attention to detail.

Having worked with you in the past I can appreciate the attentiveness and respect you've exercised to ensure the handle would harmonize with the knife to do it justice. Mission accomplished. Very nice! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Thanks John,
Story behind the story: The walnut came from an old stump that was in the yard as a child. My brother carved a Tiki face in the stump at one time. Later on, before his passing, my father had taken the stump and had a local sawmill cut it into slices, he gave each son a slice. I knew where that walnut slice would go once I got the knife blades. So, yes, I made two knives. The other one went to my brother and I told him about the wood used, and that it was from his old Tiki. I know he was very surprised to get a gift out of the blue.

#8 ·
Terrye said:
Thanks John,
Story behind the story: The walnut came from an old stump that was in the yard as a child. My brother carved a Tiki face in the stump at one time. Later on, before his passing, my father had taken the stump and had a local sawmill cut it into slices, he gave each son a slice. I knew where that walnut slice would go once I got the knife blades. So, yes, I made two knives. The other one went to my brother and I told him about the wood used, and that it was from his old Tiki. I know he was very surprised to get a gift out of the blue.
Great story, Terry. That's cool knowing the history behind the wood and what it means to the family. Makes it even more special for all the right sentimental reasons :thumbsup: .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.