Utah Guns Forum banner

Eccles Theater

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Cvore 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I was curious if anyone knew of any rules against carrying at Eccles Theater in SLC? I will be traveling up from Southern Utah to see a show soon and I would like to carry if possible.

#3 ·
It's owned and run by SLC, therefore they cannot prohibit firearms.

#4 ·
Hey,

I went to the venue and there were no signs, or metal detectors... Or security for that matter. I found out when I arrived that they are run by Salt Lake County, as DaKnife mentioned, so CCW cannot be prohibited. Great venue if anyone is going! The seating is shoulder to shoulder but that was my only complaint. Thanks for your help guys!

#5 ·
batbag12 said:
Hey,

I went to the venue and there were no signs, or metal detectors... Or security for that matter. I found out when I arrived that they are run by Salt Lake County, as DaKnife mentioned, so CCW cannot be prohibited. Great venue if anyone is going! The seating is shoulder to shoulder but that was my only complaint. Thanks for your help guys!
Even if they weren't owned by SLC, concealed carry cant be "prohibited", at least not in the sense of making it illegal. They can post signs and set a policy that says firearms aren't welcome, but those signs/policies don't carry the weight of law in Utah, meaning you are free to ignore them as you see fit.

#6 ·
gravedancer said:
snip...

Even if they weren't owned by SLC, concealed carry cant be "prohibited", at least not in the sense of making it illegal. They can post signs and set a policy that says firearms aren't welcome, but those signs/policies don't carry the weight of law in Utah, meaning you are free to ignore them as you see fit.
BINGO

Adding I'd like to see a law specifying that the FALSE assertion that something was "PROHIBITED" could be charged against the owner of the property!

#7 ·
JoeSparky said:
BINGOAdding I'd like to see a law specifying that the FALSE assertion that something was "PROHIBITED" could be charged against the owner of the property!
A private property owner can post all the signs they want, and if they see you carrying they can ask you to leave. You will not be charged for carrying in a prohibited area, but you can be charged for Trespassing if the owner chooses to do so. You have a defense that your presence was not impacting their business but it's a defense not a guaranteed get out of jail free. But they have broken no law in doing so.

So were this Theater not a state entity location yes they could prohibit. Depending on the lengths they wish to go to they could enforce their prohibition or rely on good behavior. But to say they can't prohibit is false. Thus my initial statement about the ownership of the Theater is accurate and pertinent. SLC cannot declare the theater off limits, nor can they attempt to enforce any such restriction. A privately owned theater could declare it off limits and could attempt to enforce their prohibition. Not with legal charges until you refused to leave, but they can still attempt to enforce, and once you refuse to leave then they can resort to Trespass charges to enforce.

Thus when the Jazz (under orders from the NBA) states that personal fire arms are prohibited at the Vivint arena, they are not guilty of any crime. Neither are you if you attempt to ignore their rule. But if they catch you and you don't remove the weapon or leave when asked then they can legally Trespass you.

#8 ·
I see i was not clear enough in my post, DaKnife.

I was suggesting the posting on private property such as a theater, shopping mall, or even a hospital as prohibiting something when it is clearly not illegal to engage in the action they are posting against should be against the law.
Posting of their "policies" is just fine but asserting same is illegal (prohibited---as in against the law when it isn't!) is what I am against.

2nd Amendment--- The First and Original Homeland Security!

#9 ·
Let's be clear about the "trespassing" charge. I seriously doubt you can simply be charged with trespassing for carrying a concealed firearm onto private property where a sign is posted.

The only time I could see you getting charged with trespassing is when or IF that private property owner finds out you have a gun, asks you to leave the property, and you FAIL TO COMPLY with his wishes. THEN he calls the cops and the cops CAN choose to charge that person with trespassing.

That's my understanding, but again, I am no a lawyer.

#10 ·
tapehoser said:
Let's be clear about the "trespassing" charge. I seriously doubt you can simply be charged with trespassing for carrying a concealed firearm onto private property where a sign is posted.

The only time I could see you getting charged with trespassing is when or IF that private property owner finds out you have a gun, asks you to leave the property, and you FAIL TO COMPLY with his wishes. THEN he calls the cops and the cops CAN choose to charge that person with trespassing.

That's my understanding, but again, I am no a lawyer.
Utah law requires that you must also "interfere" in some way also.

#11 ·
Quick point of order. All of this applies to the public areas of private businesses. No-guns signs on a private home do carry the weight of law just like they do on houses of worship. You don't have to be asked to leave before you can be charged in those situations. I know that's not what's being talked about but I'm just adding it for clarity. IANAL, but that's my understanding.

Matt

#12 ·
Matt is correct per layperson understanding of the law.

#13 ·
As someone who may or may not work at Eccles Theater I can say that there is no problem with the legal carrying of firearms at Eccles Theater. The high rise building connected to Eccles is a private building and their private security may give you a hard time if you cross into their building.

#15 · (Edited)
I’m a retired LEO with a LEOSA (HR 218) CCW. I was not permitted to carry inside the Eccles Theater tonight. I was told that although the facility is owned by the city/county, it was leased to the performing artist this evening who expressed his desire that attendees not be armed, no matter who they may be. Metal detectors were in use. I had to secure my firearm before entering. Irresponsible firearm owners and unnecessary, politically based, fear ruined it for all of us through various incidents across the country. All said, my wife and I enjoyed the concert.