Utah Guns Forum banner

Cinemark in Newgate Mall

16K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Strategic Tactical 
#1 ·
Was there today taking the kids to see the hulk, and they've just recently put up a sign prohibiting firearms. It's possible that this is due to complaints about me, since AFAIK I'm the only one OC'ing in this area. I've OC'ed there several times, without any incident.

I untucked my t-shirt to semi-conceal the gun and we went on in. My youngest son REALLY wanted to see the show, so I opted to avoid any risk of being asked to leave.

#3 ·
used to live in WVC in "nicer" area because i still work in WVC and house was about 10 mins away from my work talk about gas savings since i drive SUV (read gas guzzler) but after 2 drive by shootings just couple blocks from our home you would not believe how quickly for sale sign grew on our lawn :swat:

#4 ·
Hey I used to work at that theater!!! About 19 years ago. Heh, that's a rough neighborhood to NOT be packing... especially if you are unlucky enough to run out of gas or have a breakdown in the surrounding neighborhood. I know, it happened to me once. The walk from Wall up to 25th and Washington was *NOT* fun.

#5 ·
I wonder if the mall itself has changed their policy on gun carry so the theater posted one to keep within the theater's policy. I looked at Newgate Mall website and General Growth Properties website and couldn't find any mall policies. I know when I was security at the Layton Hills Mall we would ask open carriers to conceal or leave it in their car or leave the property if they refused to comply with the first request. Really management wanted us to not have any guns, but that was the best I could do. Fortunately, I don't work there anymore.

#6 ·
ndavis2008 said:
I wonder if the mall itself has changed their policy on gun carry so the theater posted one to keep within the theater's policy. I looked at Newgate Mall website and General Growth Properties website and couldn't find any mall policies.
I took a pretty good look around and couldn't find signs anywhere else, just the theater. Also, I OC'd without incident past two or three mall security guards and a couple of police officers.

I don't think it's a mall thing, I think it's just the theater.

#8 ·
GeneticsDave said:
LOL! I used to go there all the time. Now I would never go to WVC or Oggerdun without a gun - stupid policies that only make places less safe...
That's OK 'cause I wouldn't go to Bountiful without a gun either! :p

#9 ·
MarshallDodge said:
GeneticsDave said:
LOL! I used to go there all the time. Now I would never go to WVC or Oggerdun without a gun - stupid policies that only make places less safe...
Hey, I used to live on 41st and Madison - I know all about Oggerdun. I don't go anywhere without my gun, but I do "feel" much safer in Bountiful than I ever did in Oggerdun - for some reason drive-by shootings and houses of prostitution are almost unheard of here, but not up in O-town. Don't get me wrong, I like Weber County, I just "feel safer" here - for what that's worth :dunno:

#10 ·
:thijack: :lol2:

GeneticsDave said:
MarshallDodge said:
GeneticsDave said:
Hey, I used to live on 41st and Madison - I know all about Oggerdun. I don't go anywhere without my gun, but I do "feel" much safer in Bountiful than I ever did in Oggerdun - for some reason drive-by shootings and houses of prostitution are almost unheard of here, but not up in O-town. Don't get me wrong, I like Weber County, I just "feel safer" here - for what that's worth :dunno:
I was just giving you a hard time, hence the razz smiley :p

I live pretty far west of Ogden so I don't really care. Nothing about the town scares me after living in the Chicago suburbs for 20 years. :disgusted:

No place is safe anymore. My boss lives in a beautiful neighborhood south of Salt Lake and warned me about Ogden when I moved up here. One day he came home from a business trip to his kids exclaiming "Dad, we saw a crackhouse get busted today!". It turns out one of the houses down the street was raided for cooking meth in the basement. I give him grief about it every chance I get. :lolbang:

#11 ·
I wasn't offended.

Meth is scary. Anyone, anywhere can be cooking the stuff :shocked: I was watching COPS and they even found a guy with a portable meth lab in a briefcase!

That stuff is so nasty too, you have to gut the house in order to make it livable after someone cooks inside. This is one of the reasons I NEVER want to live in an apartment again - you just never know what your neighbors might be doing and what is seeping into your living space :shock:

#12 ·
True -- but you can actually smell meth production, it turns out. Years ago my dad started smelling "burning electricity" and at first thought one the nearby units was on fire but he couldn't figure out the source and later it went away... but every so often the smell would return. Finally he found out about the smell issue on the internet and was able to guesstimate which neighbor it likely was and feigned concern for "something burning inside their apartment" and told them if he smelled it again he was going to call the FD to have the place inspected for a fire hazard. They were pissed, but the smell never returned.

#16 ·
Ishpeck said:
MarshallDodge said:
GeneticsDave said:
I would never go to WVC or Oggerdun without a gun
That's OK 'cause I wouldn't go to Bountiful without a gun either!
I won't go outside the house without a gun.
If I am wearing pants, there is a gun attached. I live in a nice area, IMO, but I will always carry.

I OC'ed the other night (while wearing a coat over) to Cinemark Theatures in Newgate. I was covered with a open jacket. When we went to go purchase tickets I noticed the sign saying no firearms. I then, noty wanting to ruin a rare date with no kids, kept it covered. It took considerable effort to keep it covered while I paid. When asked to see ID with credit card, the first two cards visible in wallet was my CFP and NRA cards. Haha, I had a heck of a time concealing....

I enjoyed the movie (fully armed). I would like to know the reason for such no gun signs. I would also like to know why 6.00 buys a samll bag of popcorn with no free refills. I am going to smuggle in a microwave and make my own next time.

#18 ·
redtree said:
robin314 said:
I would also like to know why 6.00 buys a samll bag of popcorn with no free refills. I am going to smuggle in a microwave and make my own next time.
:spit:
Why not smuggle in a soda fountain while you're at it!!!
SERIOUSLY!!!
I was MORE mad about spending $10.25 for a Large Drink and "Large" (It's in a bag not a bucket) Popcorn.

Okay, you can disarm me and have me watch the movie in my boxers. But If I paid $8.00 to get into your building I expect $6.00 to buy me a 50 gallon barrel of popcorn with free refills for the next week!!!!

When I am rich I am going to open a theature where all popcorn and drinks are FREE!!! Oh, and I am putting metal detectors at the door. That way, if it beeps, you get free admission.

#19 ·
robin314 said:
redtree said:
robin314 said:
I would also like to know why 6.00 buys a samll bag of popcorn with no free refills. I am going to smuggle in a microwave and make my own next time.
:spit:
Why not smuggle in a soda fountain while you're at it!!!
SERIOUSLY!!!
I was MORE mad about spending $10.25 for a Large Drink and "Large" (It's in a bag not a bucket) Popcorn.

Okay, you can disarm me and have me watch the movie in my boxers. But If I paid $8.00 to get into your building I expect $6.00 to buy me a 50 gallon barrel of popcorn with free refills for the next week!!!!

When I am rich I am going to open a theature where all popcorn and drinks are FREE!!! Oh, and I am putting metal detectors at the door. That way, if it beeps, you get free admission.
I used to work at that Cinemark as a kid. I'm not sure about now but back then it was a dollar-theater. I can tell you that back then the theater *DEPENDED* on concessions sales to stay in business. The measly $1 we collected from admissions went towards our rental fee for the film. So, those who buy their ticket and don't buy concessions products are not really generating any profit for the theater at all, much less paying the employees wages, the equipment to run the place, the rent to the mall, etc. When we sneak in popcorn/drinks/etc we aren't just foregoing a product we don't want but are, in effect, stealing from the theater who puts up the money for the employees/equipment/mall-rent in hopes that the customers who want snacks will be honest and buy from them.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think the high price of snacks justifies sneaking food in. I'm not trying to be overly-condescending here, I have done it plenty of times in my younger years before I knew any of this. I'm just putting it out there b/c I know most people don't know this.

I don't know about the full-price theaters but it surprises me their food is so expensive -- I would think they could afford to have cheaper food, however it's quite possible they pay a significantly higher "rent" on the film. :dunno:

#20 ·
bane said:
I don't know about the full-price theaters but it surprises me their food is so expensive -- I would think they could afford to have cheaper food, however it's quite possible they pay a significantly higher "rent" on the film. :dunno:
Well if given the option, I'd rather have cheaper tickets and expensive food (the way it is). I think having a $15 ticket and "normal" food prices would not be as good.

#21 ·
bane said:
I did some work for a major theater chain a few years ago, and that's what I was told, that even first-run theaters barely break even on the ticket prices. That's why estimates of film revenues focus on box-office gross, rather than trying to deduct the theater profits -- because the theaters don't really make any money on ticket prices.

Basically, theater owners aren't in the business of showing movies, they're in the business of selling popcorn. They just use the movies to attract crowds of popcorn buyers.

I go to lots of movies (usually at the Newgate Cinemark) and I buy lots of overpriced popcorn. I long ago got over the outrageous prices; I just figure it costs $25-$30 for my wife and I to see a movie. We feel like we get $25-$30 worth of entertainment so we're okay with it.

BTW, the "no guns" sign at the Newgate Cinemark went up not long after I started OC'ing regularly there. It's possible that it was a response to my actions. I mostly conceal there now, just to avoid annoying my wife, who doesn't care one way or the other about OC, but doesn't want to be hassled by management on date night.

#22 ·
The movie theatre had signs up at the box office in 2005 when I was going in there. At the time, I was LEO so I didnt worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.