Utah Guns Forum banner

I Need To Know What Needs You Have

13K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  k9m9 
#1 ·
Can't find a dependable magazine? Can't find a top quality part? The part or accessory you need is only sold from one place and they have inflated prices? I am a gunsmith with an eye for creation and problem solving and I am looking for needs that I can develop products and services to fill. The sky is the limit and necessity is the mother of invention and innovation, so please, speak up and let me know what you see as a viable need!

#6 ·
twhtwlf: It depends on a few things but the best case scenario is that you would give me the stripped barrel and the brake and I would turn it down and thread it and the cost would be about $100. If the barrel needs to be taken out of the gun and stripped of all removable parts or if the front sight needs to be modified to fit with the brake or if the exit hole needs to be enlarged, the cost will go up, $60/hr for the time it takes for the first of those, and the latter two are at the same rate as the threading: $90/man-machine hour. I could tell you more exactly if I was looking at it or if I had very precise measurements of certain aspects (0.0000" accuracy) of the gun and the brake. Sorry to not get back to you sooner. This post is not really a solicitation for individual jobs, rather for "Ya know, it sure would be nice if there was a 9mm pistol with a curved grip so that if you laid it on your thigh pointing to your knee it would conform to the shape of your thigh" or other thoughts/requests/pressing needs like that. Thanks for asking though, let me know if you need further info or if I can be of service to you (though you might want to do so via email, private message, or via one of the other forums like "Brandon is Smith Services Gunsmithing".

#7 ·
How much experience do you have with the 1911? I'm looking to give my $$$ to a local business. I need front strap checkering and a high cut front strap.

#8 ·
rhinokrk said:
How much experience do you have with the 1911? I'm looking to give my $$$ to a local business. I need front strap checkering and a high cut front strap.
Without knowing quite how to answer your first question (given the subjective nature of it), I work on 1911's regularly and I consider the work that I do on them to be first-rate. I would be happy to do the standard checkering you are seeking for $175 and the high cut as well, though the cost of actually checkering up the radius of the trigger guard would be at least another $75-$100 (only another $40-$60 for the horizontal cuts up that radius (its the vertical cuts on that surface that are so difficult)). Let me know what I can do to help you further!

#9 ·
I asked about 1911's because there was no mention of them on your site. I'm very interested in the checkering and high cut. Any pic's?

#10 ·
Sorry, I don't have any pics, but you are welcome to supply a picture if you want an exact duplication of something you have seen. Otherwise we can just mark out exactly how you want it in pencil. My site is not all-inclusive by any means, just a starting place. I look forward to serving you soon!

#11 ·
What about doing a dovetail cut in a 1911 slide for sights?

I also have a vintage .22 that I would love to have drilled and tapped for a scope.

Checkering of my front strap of my 1911

HC slide on my PF9, maybe even cut for some sort of night sight...

I would love to have the lock removed from the bolt on my Rem 700, and maybe a recrown.

#12 ·
Gibbles said:
What about doing a dovetail cut in a 1911 slide for sights?
Yes, $70 for front, $90-$130 for rear depending on the cut (the latter being for NOVAK).

Gibbles said:
I also have a vintage .22 that I would love to have drilled and tapped for a scope.
Yes, $30 per hole.

Gibbles said:
Checkering of my front strap of my 1911
Yes, $175 as noted above (My answer to rhinokrk).

Gibbles said:
HC slide on my PF9, maybe even cut for some sort of night sight...
I am not sure what you are here asking about; Are you looking to have your slide replaced with a Hard Chrome slide or just that you have a HC slide that you want modified for sights? In the first case I do not think I have any better access to getting an HC slide than you do, either in price of availability, so unless you want to pay for me to hunt one down for you, it will be just as well for you to find and buy one. If you are not comfortable trying to switch it out (and I do not know if fitting would be needed), I would be happy to either show you how and allow you to do it or to do it for you. Lastly, I would be happy to install sights on it either way and I can modify the sights as needed as well to ensure an ideal fit. The cost for such would be the result of the time involved and my rate is $60/man-hr or $90/man-machine-hr (includes mill and welding work).

Gibbles said:
I would love to have the lock removed from the bolt on my Rem 700, and maybe a recrown.
Are you referring to a child safety lock? In any case, the answer is yes and yes and $60 for crowning the barrel.

I have a fairly short turn-around time, usually 2-3 days if I am not waiting for parts to arrive. Feel free to give me a call or email if I can assist you further!

#13 ·
Cool thanks

As for the 700, yes the child lock, I have a safe and I have no need for something that can make my rifle useless (And I gave my key away :crown: ).

for the PF9 I was wondering about having my slide hard chromed, but it's not that important, sights are more important.

I have a Saiga-12 with a 19in barrel, I was thinking about having the barrel cut down to under 18in and have a muzzle attatchment welded on the end to make 18.5, I'm thinking a perma polly choke.
Hard part is not to over heat the barrel, the russians made the barrels a little to thin... :dunno:

I would love to see some of your work, strong emphasis on stuff that requires machining/milling/files/welding. :thumbsup:
I have been wanting to find a local smith for a while that can do more than just the basic stuff. :crown:

#14 ·
I do not currently offer plating services or other metal treatments involving chemical baths (like hot blueing).

Gibbles said:
I have a Saiga-12 with a 19in barrel, I was thinking about having the barrel cut down to under 18in and have a muzzle attatchment welded on the end to make 18.5, I'm thinking a perma polly choke.
Hard part is not to over heat the barrel, the russians made the barrels a little to thin... :dunno:
I don't know how much metal we are dealing with and if we would run into issues of non-concentricity with your barrel (as some Saiga 12s have), but, provided that the barrel has come threaded, it is possible that we could shorten and re-thread the barrel and then solder on the Poly Choke, thus avoiding the danger area of welding and losing proper temper/strength. There are some other possible solutions but we will have to see what we have to work with.

You are welcome to ask around on here to see if anyone can show you some of my handiwork but as for me, I am sorry to report that most of the custom fabrications and alterations I have done are back in the possession of the customers for whom I did the work. The pistol I have designed and am fabricating should be ready (crossing my fingers) this month. It has been repeatedly delayed in order to service customers with gun repair needed but I have reasonable hopes of completing it very soon and observing all due diligence to make it market-ready. This pistol should serve as an excellent showcase for my skill and capacity as I am making everything but the barrel from scratch: milling it out of chromoly, including both halves of the frame, which will then be TIG welded together, and making all springs from scratch.

Without "tooting my own horn", I can say that I am able to do decidedly more than "just the basic stuff".

#18 ·
usarmysldr said:
Are able to drill and tap polymer receivers? I found a picatinny rail for the Benelli Nova but I would need to have holes put into the top of the receiver to mount it.
Yes, I can. Benelli USA gives the Weaver No. 423M Base as the correct mount to use and there may be others that would work but as I understand it they do not hold onto the polymer alone, but to the metal reinforcement that lies under the polymer and whatever mount is used, it must tie in to the metal. I would charge the same as for a metal receiver ($30/hole drilled and tapped).

#20 ·
ArmedAffliction said:
Brandon did some work on my AR Barrel for me he did a great job, (threaded it for a Rock River Tactical Muzzle Break) I think it was his first AR-15 Thread and he nailed it.
What's his ballpark price for that job? I need it done to a stainless Olympic Arms Ultramatch barrel.

#22 ·
My rates (until further notice*) are $60/man-hour and $90/man-machine-hour (includes milling, turning, welding, and drilling/tapping). I charge $100 to thread a barrel that is ready to go into the lathe (which most guns are but there are some that are not and will need further work and resulting higher cost).

*We shall see how long I continue to accept dollars as payment; I am not a doomsayer but the cracks in the glass ceiling of our economy are joining together and it could all move very fast.

#23 ·
I have a fun one. I have a VZ58 that I am trying to get up and running. It seems the only problem I have left is the feed ramp needs to be built up some. As it is the nose of the bullet strikes on the barrel face instead of chambering. I have heard it suggested to ad a chamfer to the barrel as is done on some AK's but I don't really trust that. I have called a few gunsmiths in the area but none have returned my calls.

Can you build up the feed ramp and how much would that be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.