Utah Guns Forum banner

New Project...Dueling Tree

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  m.t.s. 
#1 ·
Here is a little project I've been working on. It's a dueling tree that you can shoot live with someone else. It is a blast to see who can get their paddles all over to the other side before your opponent shoots them back over to your side.

See less See more
#5 ·
Not at all.. Copy away..
I pretty much copied the idea from some I found online.. I added my own design using springs and angled cams to ensure that the paddles only stop sticking out to the sides.
The construction is stout enough that I think is will last for years.
I took it to an organized "Turkey Shoot" this morning and there were about 20 guys with 9's and 40's that unloaded hundreds of round onto it. It seemed to work great other than a couple of times the paddles got "stuck" pointing toward the back.
I'm thinking I'll rent this one out for $20 a day if anyone is interested.
I really don't have the time or energy to build another one any time soon..=)

#6 ·
Ok, I was at this turkey shoot with you. While hundreds of rounds were unloaded TOWARDS it, only a few dozen actually connected. I only wish we were all that good =P

Kidding aside, it was a sweet rig. Worked great. I went up against thering and kept knocking his paddles back over. Unfortunately I was actually aiming at the paddle below the one that kept flipping back, but lets keep that between us. mkay?

#8 ·
Thanks for that clarification Zelph.. :wink:
We just need to find a cheap source of ammo and do some more practicing with this thing I guess...

That teflon lube is a good Idea. I have some run-of-the-mill grease on it now and it seems to work okay. I'll try that stuff next..
Also I'll try and get some pictures with more detail. I have some solid model CAD drawings but they are from an earlier version so I will try and get those updated and then I can post those as well.

#10 ·
I am sure you are busy, but I was wondering if you could provide some more information or pictures of your dueling tree. My brother is coming into town this weekend and we want to build one. If nothing else, could to take a close up picture of the spring so I can get a better look? Thanks.

#11 ·
Now that's a good base! I've been dreaming of welding up something like that, nice and sturdy, because I can't stand any of the ones at the store, that only have one or two little legs out back. Those always move around on the dirt until they fall over.

One of my friends tried making something like that, but he didn't weld the legs on very firmly, and one broke off the first time we took it out. Plus, he didn't lean the tree forward or put springs in it, so the arms would stop across once, then swing rearward and stop when pointing straight back. The only solution was to shoot the paddle immediately when it appeared on the other side to keep the momentum up! :dancing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.