Utah Guns Forum banner

Kimber Ultra CDP II Failure To Feed

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  jtaoj 
#1 ·
hi to you all. been on this forum for a while just reading. just created a profile and plan to participate often.

i have a kimber ultra CDP ii in 40 S&W. it has probably 300 rounds through it, so maybe not totally broken in yet. but since i have owned it, i get a failure to feed on three different magazines that came with the gun on the last round. it for lack of a better term stove pipes the last live round. every so often, it jams on a round in the middle, but not as often. short of contacting kimber (i bought the gun used but very clean), anyone solved this ?

thanks,

jeff

#2 ·
:welcome: from SLC! :D Maybe that is why the guy sold it.
Does this happen with all three magazines every time, or is it sporadic? It may be the magazine. When you say it stovepipes the last live round, what do you mean? Is it throwing the live round out of the chamber and sticks between the slide and the barrel, or is it not pushing the round all the way in to the barrel?

#4 ·
Take a look at this thread by Hilton Yam, it may help diagnosing the problem.

Typically the issue on a 1911 is bad magazines(usually weak springs) or extractor tension. Are all of the magazines you have tried the same brand?

#5 ·
Jeff,

How clean is it? have you field stripped it and looked at the extractor?

You mentioned 300 rounds; your round count or total round count?

Also, was the gun one of those 'really sweet deals', meaning did the guy who sold it really want to sell it fast?

-Jay

#6 ·
Hi,

On the gun, it was purchased new by one guy, who's friend lent him the money to do so (they both bought similar guns). The lender ended up repossessing the gun and sold it. Not a quick sale, and he and I went back and forth on price for a bit. He wasn't about to give it away by any means, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a lemon?

The gun had very little use when I bought it. I suspect 100-200 rounds total based on the discussion I had with the seller, and the gun looked to have very little use (little wear). I have field stripped and cleaned every time I have shot it. I have put about 150 rounds through myself, thus the 300 estimate.

All three clips are Kimber brand and came with the gun when I bought it.

I was up at the range yesterday and two of the range attendants (very cool and helpful) took pity on me :mrgreen: and looked at the gun. One had a Springfield 1911 in 45. He felt that my mags compared to his did not hold the last round tight enough.

I really like the 1911's and with the smaller frame, I figured I could carry this one easier than a full size...but if it keeps misbehaving...will have to rethink that idea.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I appreciate it.

Jeff

#7 ·
I would recommend trying a new magazine. Either a Chip McCormick powermag, powermag +, or a Wilson Combat mag. They are awesome magazines. You can find them at Midwayusa.com or some of the local dealers sell them. I know that Doug's Shootin Sports sells the Wilson Combat mags, not sure about the Chip McCormicks. I have the Chip McCormick mags and they are sweet. If you can't get one for the size of 1911 you have, try getting a new mag from either Kimber. You could email them and let them know you are having issues with the mags, they may do something about it.

#8 ·
mqondo said:
I would recommend trying a new magazine. Either a Chip McCormick powermag, powermag +, or a Wilson Combat mag. They are awesome magazines. You can find them at Midwayusa.com or some of the local dealers sell them. I know that Doug's Shootin Sports sells the Wilson Combat mags, not sure about the Chip McCormicks. I have the Chip McCormick mags and they are sweet. If you can't get one for the size of 1911 you have, try getting a new mag from either Kimber. You could email them and let them know you are having issues with the mags, they may do something about it.
I have checked with Wilson Combat and they do not make for my gun. I shot a note to Chip M yesterday and hope to hear back. The guys at the range suggested the Chips as well.

I plan to call Kimber at some point, but the manual says 500 rounds for break in. I was hoping to fix and not have to deal with that so if I can buy some other better clips, i will definitely try that and the finish break in before calling.

Thanks!

jj

#9 ·
The magazines should work right from the start. The gun may need a little breaking in, but the mags don't. I have had used mags, and new mags. The ones that don't feed properly get replaced. I had a new mag that had an issue. I emailed the company and they had me send it back and I received a new one in its place. You could always try replacing the springs in the mag to see if that helps. But if it is a mag issue, I would think that Kimber would replace them. At least the ones that came with the gun originally.

#10 ·
jtaoj said:
I was up at the range yesterday and two of the range attendants (very cool and helpful) took pity on me :mrgreen: and looked at the gun. One had a Springfield 1911 in 45. He felt that my mags compared to his did not hold the last round tight enough.
The Ultra is based on the Colt Officer frame so you need to find mags that will work with it.

Mec-Gar makes a magazine for the compact 1911 in 40 S&W. Does your magazine look like this? Link

#12 ·
jtaoj said:
MarshallDodge said:
Mec-Gar makes a magazine for the compact 1911 in 40 S&W. Does your magazine look like this? Link
Hi, the link opened to a Barretta set of clips?
It actually took you to the main magazine page.

Try this Link, it just shows the frame rather than the whole page with all the selections.

#13 ·
MarshallDodge said:
jtaoj said:
MarshallDodge said:
Hi, the link opened to a Barretta set of clips?
It actually took you to the main magazine page.

Try this Link, it just shows the frame rather than the whole page with all the selections.
Yup...it does look like the ones in that link. I will give these a try. Not a lot to spend to try and get some peace of mind. Kirk, thanks for the help and links!

jj

#14 ·
jtaoj said:
Yup...it does look like the ones in that link. I will give these a try. Not a lot to spend to try and get some peace of mind. Kirk, thanks for the help and links!

jj
No problem. Let us know how it goes. 8)

#16 ·
Also, the Kimbers are very stiff until broken in. The ammo and shooting techinique have a lot to do with the performance. For example, my Kimber Pro will not shoot PMC Bronze ammo. I got 3-4 stovepipes in 25 rounds. With other ammo I don't get stovepipes. Unless of course, if I get lazy. A slight limp wrist shot will cause a stovepipe. I would recommend calling Kimber to see what they recommend, they couldn't have been more nice to me. Second, try different ammo. Third, have an experienced Kimber shooter shoot the gun to see if it is your technique (no offense). Good luck.

#17 ·
Thanks. I was going to go to the range this weekend, but rainy weather...love the moisture, but starting to look forward to warm weather!

I have planned to give Kimber a call. Was going to get the full 400+ rounds through before that.

I appreciate all of the advice and help. I will report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.